454 headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shanegtr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
Just spied a set of 454 headers for sale on one of my local Facebook groups. They look unused and I was thinking about grabbing them as it would save me some $$$ in freight from the US when I get around to putting on a new exhaust into my burb. My question is could they be used for my 89 TBI 454. The seller has advised they where for a C20 with round port heads. My burb is currently stock in the engine department which I'm assuming would be peanut ports. Would there be any issues with that bolting up? Future plans are for better breathing heads, intake and cam but that could be a while off. In the mean time the exhaust does need some attention. Any help appreciated

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Most stock big block heads have squarish exhaust outlet ports, but obviously, most headers have round ports at the flange. Just make sure the gaskets that you use will sufficiently seal both the head and the header.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Pre-fit the headers before you actually install them. Any tight points don't be afraid to pound a dent somewhere for clearance. Make sure you can get at all the header bolts and spark plugs. Need room for the socket! Be prepared to reroute your starter wires and possibly the auto coolant lines (if you have an automatic). Re-tighten the bolts often for the first few months of use. Make sure to use proper header bolts for best clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1