454 engine build. Need input!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idwingmaster

Reaction score
First Name
hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Alright guys this is another one of those posts from a new guy, but I have some questions and need some opinions.
I have an 86 Chevy c20 with a 454 in it. All stock, no cats, 166,000 miles. It's my daily driver and its really doing great! Only bad thing is it's 2 wheel drive and that truck and winter don't mix. So plan is to park it in the shop this winter and begin the transformation. The truck was my great grandpas truck and it is special to me.

Sooo heres the question, I can work on it my self, can do that sorta thing. But I'm trying to decide what to do with the engine. Here's my thoughts. It's always been one hell of a trailer puller. I want it to still do that. I do allot of pulling. But I'd also like more horses. Im not lookin for the hudge ripping motor, but being able to roast tires once every blue moon would be sweet haha. It'll do that anyways, but would like some more power. What heads and and cam, lifters, and that sorta stuff would ya all recommend for that application.
Thanks for all input in advance! Hopefully I'm making sense.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Tire roasting is dependant on torque. Not horsepower.
Build a 460 with a mild cam, dual plane intake, and headers.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yep RV cam and headers with a dual plane aluminum intake manifold

idwingmaster

Reaction score
First Name
hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Awesome thanks guys for the input and info. Here's a question to throw out. My truck still has the smog ish and that stuff. Do they make a set of headers where the air and run into them like the original exhaust manifolds??

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Not sure about bigblocks. But I've seen small blocks.

If you get a set of painted headers. A welding shop could weld on a bung

idwingmaster

Reaction score
First Name
hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Alright that sounds good. At least it's doable. Thanks for the help guys!

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Headman headers makes smog headers

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Awesome thanks guys for the input and info. Here's a question to throw out. My truck still has the smog ish and that stuff. Do they make a set of headers where the air and run into them like the original exhaust manifolds??

Check with Edelbrock they did for sure used to and still might make them with individual AIR ports on the top of each exhaust port.

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I would ditch the smog stuff as you already don't have cats. I would get a mild duel plane aluminum intake. Something with an idle to 5,500 RPM powerband and run something like the Edelbrock performer cam. Its pretty much an exact copy of the old LS5 cam they put in the hot rods in the early 70s. I am going to be running this cam in my 454 that's in my K20 now. I am hopeing to make around 325-350 HP with this set up with the 049 heads, performer intake, headers, duel 2.25" exhaust and a modified 750 Q jet. Its about as large as I would go if your towing.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I would ditch the smog stuff as you already don't have cats. I would get a mild duel plane aluminum intake. Something with an idle to 5,500 RPM powerband and run something like the Edelbrock performer cam. Its pretty much an exact copy of the old LS5 cam they put in the hot rods in the early 70s. I am going to be running this cam in my 454 that's in my K20 now. I am hopeing to make around 325-350 HP with this set up with the 049 heads, performer intake, headers, duel 2.25" exhaust and a modified 750 Q jet. Its about as large as I would go if your towing.

I like how your realistic with your HP #s unlike guys that want 650 HP by swapping in a cam LOL

+1 for you my friend! :)

Joe383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
It is what it is, I have grown up around racing my whole life. I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to get 600+ HP. I like high HP motors and have had a few but now that I am older I like high torque over HP for several reasons...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade