4.1 mpg?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
It smells like it’s running a little rich at idle, but over idle it doesn’t seem like it’s running rich at all. Has a slight miss when not fully warmed up at around 1000 rpm but goes away at anything above that. Engine revs up to 7k rpm no problem. I’m going to try to find a number on that vacuum advance and replace it

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I think that we already determined that your motor is probably worn out, and needs to be rebuilt, or at least pulled out and gone through to fix all of the problems that it has. Until you do that we are basically wasting our time trying to diagnose multiple problems.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
It feels like it might be in the secondaries on the highway, and does not have much pep at full throttle

Engine revs up to 7k rpm no problem.
Really? A 350 that is able to turn 7K with no issues sounds pretty peppy to me.

@Ricko 1966 says " Lets quit arquing about what his milage REALLY IS or couldn't be etc. and help him fix his problems."

I don't think we have enough solid, real information to work with here. Is this engine really turning 7K RPM?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
.^^^^^^ Unless of course, his problem isn't with the carburetor. Its got 2 crossed plug wires worn out rings a flat cam, etc.etc. etc lets stop WAG and shotgun repairs and diagnose. Thats the only efficient cost effective way to fix cars. Customers would sh!t a brick if I did 100s of dollars worth of work to their cars and didn't address the problem. We know the ignition is 100 percent wrong and partially non functional and it has a vacuum leak-yea lets tackle the carbureation before we fix the for known issue's, or do any diagnostics. Doc I've got a bleeding through and through gunshot wound, could you look at this rash on my leg first.Im out.

Last edited:

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
In neutral if i floor it it will shoot up to 7k, at least that’s what my tach says. It’s a sunpro power curve tach. It doesn’t feel peppy under a load on the highway. I know the engine is worn out, oil pressure isn’t great, burns a little oil on a hot start, has blowby.

KnuckleBuster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Floyd
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sometimes, as much as one might like to work on their own stuff, the problem is just a little beyond their ability. Considered a pro? Diagnosis will likely be cheaper than throwing parts at it and a whole lot faster. Just a thought. Either way, good luck to ya!

kzguns

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 20
Engine Size
I would avoid revving the guts out of it, the only limiter these old engines have is when it comes apart. I would get some of the previous mentioned issues resolved especially timing. Re check your firing order and then if nothing improves look into the carb but if you're not experienced you may want to find someone who is.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Carb is new and tuned with vacuum gauge, idle mixture tuned to where it held the steadiest vacuum. Timing is set with an old snap on timing light to 12 degrees initial. Firing order is correct. I know that the vacuum advance is now bad so I will change that out and reset the timing and check the tune on the carb again. And see if things get any better.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Carb is new and tuned with vacuum gauge, idle mixture tuned to where it held the steadiest vacuum. Timing is set with an old snap on timing light to 12 degrees initial. Firing order is correct. I know that the vacuum advance is now bad so I will change that out and reset the timing and check the tune on the carb again. And see if things get any better.
Okay,now we are getting somewhere. Fix
the obvious and diagnose for the not so obvious. All vacuum advances are not created equal. There are different pressures for activation,and maximimum/minnimum advance. That's why I said get the Crane unit it can be set for what is right for your setup. Putting an 8 degree can that needs 18hg does you NO good, none if your only pulling 15hg and need 14 degrees. You're setup is a mystery. You need to do the work to make sure it's right. And all adjustable are not the same,some only limit maximum degrees.

Last edited:

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Basic tune-up crap. How do the plugs look? the wires? air and fuel filter? Does the gas cap suck air when you take it off? Do you have a vacuum gauge in the truck? you should see right at 20 Hgs. at idle on a stock engine.

You must be registered for see images attach

when was the last time you packed the bearings? Are your brakes dragging? How heavy is your foot?

My 76 Blazer had a built 350, 4sp, and 4.10 axles on 36s, best mileage I ever saw was 18 mpg on the freeway between Phx and Tucson. But on average I got between 4-8 mpgs depending on how heavy of a foot I had.... and 90% of the time it was heavy.

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Plugs are good I went through and gapped them all, wires are good, air filter clean, both fuel filters are new, gas cap does not suck air, front wheel bearings were just packed, don’t think the brakes are dragging. I’ve had a pretty heavy foot with it because it feels like it has no power, which makes sense the vacuum advance was bad

84prspctr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The number on the vacuum advance is 482 15

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
The number on the vacuum advance is 482 15
Awesome is that the right one for the amount of vacuum you have, for the degrees of advance that you need?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1