1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue 3.8L 4D Sedan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
What do you know about these cars? Are the 3.8L reliable? Are the front wheel drive auto trans reliable? What kinda gas mileage does the 3.8L get? Might be getting one that has good body/interior that needs a starter and battery for $250 in 2 weeks with a title. Has current inspection til Nov 2011.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
For some reason I was thinking those Olds Intrigue came with the 3.5. No positive though. Maybe that was the later years. I know for a fact some models did come with the 3.5. I almost bought one once but because the 3.5 was a newer not so well known motor I passed on it and got something with the 3.8 that is proven good.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
For some reason I was thinking those Olds Intrigue came with the 3.5. No positive though. Maybe that was the later years. I know for a fact some models did come with the 3.5. I almost bought one once but because the 3.5 was a newer not so well known motor I passed on it and got something with the 3.8 that is proven good.

The plastic molded engine cover says 3800 on it.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
From 1995-2005 GM used plastic intake manifolds on the 3.8's which were prone to get holes in them around the EGR tube. When the holes open up your oil mixes with coolant and will cause a massive engine failure. If the car still has a stock upper intake plenum on it, it's not a question of "if" the intake will break it's a question of "when". There are re-engineered upper plenums on the market that beef up the weak area of the upper intake plenum. You should seriously think of getting one if the car hasn't seen the repair yet.

There is another important recall that GM did on the 3.8 a few years back. Further info for that one through the link:
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/13/gm-to-recall-1-4-million-passenger-cars-over-potential-engine-fi/

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
This car has those metal spring loaded retainers going the spark plugs.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
The Intrigue was powered by a 3.8 for 1998 only, which was it's inaugural year. It's a W body. Infinitely more reliable than the LX5 3.5.

For $250 I'd grab it. Replacing the starter and battery are straightforward. If you have any other questions, I have a friend that's an Intrigue guru. Flip it if anything.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The Intrigue was powered by a 3.8 for 1998 only, which was it's inaugural year. It's a W body. Infinitely more reliable than the LX5 3.5.

For $250 I'd grab it. Replacing the starter and battery are straightforward. If you have any other questions, I have a friend that's an Intrigue guru. Flip it if anything.

I didn't think it would take Retro long to get here and make sense of this. I believe it was a 2000 I almost I bought and it had a 3.5, possibly a 2001. I'd have bought it if it didn't have the 3.5 and had a 3.8.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One

Got diagram on which holes to put the 4 longer oil pan bolts. The guy started taking them out cause he thought the motor was bad. He removed all but 2. The car has been sitting for month now with no oil in it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Got diagram on which holes to put the 4 longer oil pan bolts. The guy started taking them out cause he thought the motor was bad. He removed all but 2. The car has been sitting for month now with no oil in it.

Sitting wo oil for a month will not hurt it as long as it wasn't ran wo oil.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
And even if it were run with no oil, it is hard to kill a 3.8...I broke the oil filter mount on my 1987 Buick 3.8 and drove it for a mile with no oil. New oil filter mount, changed the oil and drove the car another 3 years.

I'll ask him later about the bolts Dave, he's not on and I'm exhausted.

You can also try www.w-body.com. I am manicmechanic over there.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Too late. The guy sold it for $225 to junk dealer. He couldn't hold off for 2 weeks. He needed the money to pay lot rent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06