1990 V1500 Suburban Smog parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tuberbob

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
Hi all, I am new here. I bought a 1990 Suburban recently, and it has had nearly all of the smog equipment removed from under the hood. I have since purchased a remanufactured Cardone pump, and I found and purchased a few other parts at the junkyard from a pickup truck. However, I am having a hell of a time figuring out exactly what I do need, and I am hoping I might find some help here.

From what I have read online, it seems that while many of the parts are the same from one year Sub to the next, the belt drive and accessory system is one area where there is some variance. My takeaway from this is that I will need to have things like the mounting bracket for the smog pump come from pretty much the same truck.

My requests are these:

1) Does anyone have pictures of my year truck with the smog equipment installed/visible?

2) Does anyone have a link to a diagram of all the parts I need? I have been referencing this, but I am not sure this is the correct one.

3) Does anyone here have the parts I need that would be willing to sell/ship them to me? Or have a line on where I might find them?

I am in California, so unfortunately I have to have this stuff installed to pass a smog check so I can complete the title transfer/registration process.

I really appreciate anyone taking the time to try helping me out. Thanks in advance!

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
We need to know which engine you have. Are there any emission stickers on the air cleaner? That will show you what was on the truck originally.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Here's the catalyst sticker.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 101

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
'89 and up 49-states TBI 350's didn't get smog pumps, so we are looking for someone out your way that can help.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I'm close to what he has, a Cali spec '89, but I don't know for a fact that V1500s and V2500s got the same equipment. Some years the 1/2 tons got air injection while the 3/4 tons didn't. We don't even know if his was a Cali truck or a 49-state vehicle.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm close to what he has, a Cali spec '89, but I don't know for a fact that V1500s and V2500s got the same equipment. Some years the 1/2 tons got air injection while the 3/4 tons didn't. We don't even know if his was a Cali truck or a 49-state vehicle.

If it's not a Cali truck, could it still be registered/smogged there? Just my own curiosity.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Sure, just a variation in equipment which (I think) would have a different set of standards on the sniffer. For Cali spec trucks, the sticker (like Jesse posted above) will say "This engine conforms to US EPA and California regulations applicable to 1989 model year vehicles...etc." Those two words, "and California" can make a big difference in equipment for certain years but as I've said before, guys should just call the BAR and let them tell the owners what they need.

He said he already bought a air pump so I'm guessing he has the original exhaust manifolds with the air ports. My 2500 didn't come with air injection so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

tuberbob

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
We need to know which engine you have. Are there any emission stickers on the air cleaner? That will show you what was on the truck originally.

It was not on the air cleaner, but rather in front of the radiator, but I did find the emission sticker. Here is a picture of it.

I really appreciate the interest in this. I took a few pictures of the engine compartment, but it's dark and I was having a hard time, so I will get some in the daylight tomorrow.

When I bought the truck, the seller did tell me it was purchased up north, maybe Oregon or Washington. It was a Craigslist purchase, so who knows how truthful the guy was, but I have no reason not believe him.

I did purchase the AIR pump, and it does have stock manifolds on it for now. Good call with regards to BAR, I will call tomorrow and see if they have any advice for me. I sure would feel silly if it turns out my truck is all good as is...

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Oh man, you dodged a bullet with that sticker! That's a 49-state vehicle and it never had air injection. So what you're looking to have on there is:

egr valve.
catalytic converter
O2 sensor in the exhaust
fuel evap canister
positive crankcase ventilation (pcv)
thermostatic air cleaner with heat riser tube

Most of that isn't a big deal. Hopefully the po wasn't one of those ********* that yanks the fuel evap canister just because it's "smog stuff." The cat doesn't have to be oem, just make sure it has a C.A.R.B compliance number. EGR is easy provided the intake hasn't been swapped.

I don't know if you're aware, but the seller is legally responsible for smog cert compliance. Unless there was an "as-is" provision on the bill of sale, this should really be their problem, not yours.

tuberbob

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
This is sounding really good. I had a long day and wasn't able to get pics or call BAR, but I will do both tomorrow.

I know for sure the evap canister is there, and I am pretty sure everything else is too, with one exception. I am not too sure about the thermostatic air cleaner with heat riser tube. I assume that's what the busted old tube that goes from the exhaust manifold on the passenger side to the air cleaner is all about. I had to replace the exhaust manifold on the side because the old one was shattered, and although the old hose sits in place, I can't see how it actually does anything.

Is there maybe another name for the thermostatic air cleaner with heat riser tube? I tried googling it but all I find is VW stuff, or some guy's custom carb heating solution...

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Well, now there's a fly in the ointment. The twc callout refers to a type of converter I wasn't familiar with. Check this thread. http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15079

The big question is will the BAR allow any C.A.R.B approved converter to be installed or does it have to be a three-way? And if it has to be a TWC, what supplies the air to the cat tubes? I'm really curious how this system works.

As far as the TAC goes, the exhaust manifold usually has a a small shroud attached to it that collects heat and funnels it up a flexible tube to the air cleaner snorkel. Earlier snorkels had a door in them that's vacuum operated but later ones like yours have a wax filled sensor to open and close the door.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is the temp sensor.

You must be registered for see images attach

Don't have a picture of the exhaust manifold handy, I'll add one later.

Last edited:

tuberbob

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I responded to the other thread with regards to the catalytic converter, but as to the heat riser, exactly what you described is what I have. I am off to take a few pictures, I will update with them in a little while.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
This is interesting with info on the TWC on page 12. I figured the TWC was a more current type and according to this it can store 02 thus doesn't need injected air.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
So if I'm reading that right, you can have 3-way cats with or without an air injection system. Air injection on the tubed cats and non-tubed cats create their own O2.

My '89 is California equipped and only had a conventional cat and no air injection. So maybe these twc systems came out for the 1990 squares?

Last edited:

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
So if I'm reading that right, you can have 3-way cats with or without an air injection system. Air injection on the tubed cats and non-tubed cats create their own O2.

I think so.... If not create they also store it. The way I understand it they rely on the rich/lean oscillation to collect store and release O2. For instance during a lean condition the O2 leaving the combustion chamber should be high since the fuel will burn up before all the O2 is used but in a rich condition the O2 gets used up before all the fuel is used. So during the lean condition there is excess O2 sent to the cat and it stores it if it is not needed for reaction then releases it during a rich condition. this can be seen if you watch the before and after cat O2 sensor signals on an obdII system the sensor 1 signal fluctuates up and down but sensor 2 should be much smoother due to the cat storing and releasing O2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshinIT