1988 Chevy K5 blazer and motor issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Wel lyou guys saw the pictures of my truck thats his driveway... He has a GMC Yukon XL, 1968 SS 396 Big Block Chevy El Camino, and a 2010 Camero. (Mommy has that)

I have this and my 92 SAAB CD 2000

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Gosh my old man is so upset! He don't even want to talk to me right now. Hes saying its gonna cost me 2k to get it right? lol...

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
One thing I've learned is that most of the time father does know best (at least my dad did) but when he would get upset at me over a dumb mistake I'd make he'd usually get over it then help me get past it :D

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Gosh my old man is so upset! He don't even want to talk to me right now. Hes saying its gonna cost me 2k to get it right? lol...

My Dad gave up trying to tell me **** haha. Its funny how his **** runs so much better than mine.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
The only thing I could even think of in the difference in motors are:
Your motor might have knock censors, and things of that sort. You also may what to check the decking of your intake to the heads.

As far as your transmission it should bolt right up. Do yourself a favor and replace your fly wheel while you have the motor out. It's cheat insurance.

Don't be too hard on your old man, I found out the older I got the smarter he was. Plus it is hard to think your kids don't need you anymore, and capable of making their own decisions.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
What are talking about? My kids will always need me for every decision they make, right??

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Hes pissed I didn't consult with him more hes 60 years old. Hes bought used motors before and never had any luck. He just thinks im totally dumb and he and I think differently when we work on vehicles. I am just glad I do not live under his roof anymore. Hes so pissed he says hes not helping me with this lol... Hes out in Springfield, MO and I couldn't have used his help anyways but his guidance is nice. Whatever he will chill the hell out soon I hope.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yeah, he will eventually get over and depart his knowledge on the build up :D

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
The only thing I could even think of in the difference in motors are:
Your motor might have knock censors, and things of that sort. You also may what to check the decking of your intake to the heads.

As far as your transmission it should bolt right up. Do yourself a favor and replace your fly wheel while you have the motor out. It's cheat insurance.

Don't be too hard on your old man, I found out the older I got the smarter he was. Plus it is hard to think your kids don't need you anymore, and capable of making their own decisions.

Mine has Knock sensors and my intake will just bolt right on. Good idea about the fly wheel. Thats why Im gonna do the head gaskets too.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I just realized your blazer is an 88, its got the centerbolt valve covers right? Everything should switch over no problem!

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
irishman99 My valve covers are different on the motor I am installing in my truck soon. I have decided to not replace the fly wheel and head gaskets because it runs fine! Why **** with it? Just gonna do the intake TBI switch...

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd also suggest, since the motor sat for some time, even though its only 45K, if it doesn't have them already, I'd replace the freeze plugs with brass ones while its out and the flywheel is off and they are easy to get to. If they are brass already, leave it be. I never understood why steel freeze plugs aka cast plugs are ever used. Its $3-$4 for a steel set, and $8-$10 for brass that won't rust. Sure it maybe 3x the price, but damn, were talking $10 that will save an astronomical amount of headache and money in the future.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hes pissed I didn't consult with him more hes 60 years old. Hes bought used motors before and never had any luck. He just thinks im totally dumb and he and I think differently when we work on vehicles. I am just glad I do not live under his roof anymore. Hes so pissed he says hes not helping me with this lol... Hes out in Springfield, MO and I couldn't have used his help anyways but his guidance is nice. Whatever he will chill the hell out soon I hope.

I'd be happy as hell to be having this argument with my dad. My dad is a hillbilly tree huggin redneck and can't even put a battery in his ATV right. No mechanical mind whatsoever. But he can damn sure swing a hammer and make anything you want out of concrete as far as forming it.

I was always mechanical. Even as a kid, got my ass beat for tearing down the lawnmower to the block. The parents pushed it to the back corner of the yard and went and bought another one which not having alot of money was tough for them to do. After they got the new one I realized they weren't fixing the one I tore apart and got my ass beat for without having the chance to reassemble it. Being I was the son that had to mow the yard all the time now since I tore the old mower apart and had to earn the new one and forfeit my $1 allowance, I refused to use the new POS and I reassembed the old one before my dad got home from work one day. I figured I wouldn't get my ass beat for reassembly. Point is my dad never got into autos or motorsports. He wanted kudos for going to sit in the woods and listen to noises and watch grass grow. That wasn't my bag then. Now older, sure its cool to do and get away from life for a change. The only arguments I have with my dad in that subject now, is riding the ATV to fast, or having to much power and no sense in it, just get you tickets and burn up tires, and slow down on that ATV, you can't see nothing going that fast. He rarely gets his ATV out of 2nd gear, and mine is usually in 5th full throttle. We get along cuz we have to, but with a bad childhood and nothing in common at all, we have to work at getting along and agree to disagree which he preaches all the time and doesn't do it.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'd also suggest, since the motor sat for some time, even though its only 45K, if it doesn't have them already, I'd replace the freeze plugs with brass ones while its out and the flywheel is off and they are easy to get to.....

x2...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
C30vet