1988 Chevy K5 blazer and motor issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I forgot to get the number for you this morning. I will grab it for you in the next day or so. They are not listed in the phone book yet because the business itself is still too new.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Hey man....I got that number for you. It's call Spillman's Auto Repair and it's right off of 291 South in Lee's Summit, Mo. The phone number is 816-600-6800. Just give them a call and tell them what you got and what you need to have done. Like I said, they are an extremely honest shop so if they feel like the job may be too much for them then they will know of the best place to send you to get the work done.

Let me know how this comes out! :waytogo:

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Well fellas I picked up the motor off that guy last night because all I could tell is I'd have to probably change the intake manifold on that motor. It has a Holley Manifold on it atm with a spacer with the carb. My Old man claimed there's a special camshaft for the TBIs and I do not think so. Can anyone else shed light on that?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Lots of people drool over it and you can see why I don't want to rid of this awesome truck!

Some trucks are just not made to be sold! :) My 77 will never leave my possession. I have no idea how many owners it's had in the past but it won't have another one again. :)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
My Old man claimed there's a special camshaft for the TBIs and I do not think so. Can anyone else shed light on that?
Another good question. I don't know personally but I would guess yes.

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Another good question. I don't know personally but I would guess yes.

Why would you guess yes?

By the way I'll post my progress and questions as I go on and I may even make a new thread or use this one.

I appreciate the comments about my truck many thanks!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Only because I am assuming as the years progress changes may be made for emmisions and computer controls and intake designs, even what weight class the truck is, etc. I could be wrong.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I've never heard of a special cam for TBI's. Being that it's just a form of fuel delivery, it doesn't require any special cam to operate. Look at Comp Cams website, they don't list TBI engines as a separate catagory.

Maybe your dad was referring to the switch GM made in '87 from flat tappet to roller cams in some models. Afaik, it was just TPI that got the roller upgrades while TBI engines continued to get flat tappet into the early nineties.

If you're going to put a new bump stick in that '86 block you should research the retrofit roller cams available for it. I don't have any experience with them myself but it seems like a worthwhile upgrade from what I've read.

http://www.compcams.com/Pages/419/camshaft-breakdown.aspx#RetroFit

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
I've never heard of a special cam for TBI's. Being that it's just a form of fuel delivery, it doesn't require any special cam to operate. Look at Comp Cams website, they don't list TBI engines as a separate catagory.

Maybe your dad was referring to the switch GM made in '87 from flat tappet to roller cams in some models. Afaik, it was just TPI that got the roller upgrades while TBI engines continued to get flat tappet into the early nineties.

If you're going to put a new bump stick in that '86 block you should research the retrofit roller cams available for it. I don't have any experience with them myself but it seems like a worthwhile upgrade from what I've read.

http://www.compcams.com/Pages/419/camshaft-breakdown.aspx#RetroFit

Roller cams were for the IROCZ Cameros and what not those camshafts were not in trucks. I did that research a few years ago when my old man was telling me I had one lol... We had a IrocZ motor too sitting in our garage for awhile but we sold it when we all moved. My old man was trying to say this motor wouldn't bolt up to my 700R4 tranny when its exactly the same as my current motor just missing parts I am gonna put on as I have spares and I have a spare TBI with intake too. All this motor has is just a different (Holly) intake with a Spacer + carb. I think I am gonna replace the head gaskets while I am at it just so I don't have to worry about that for a long time. The previous owner had the motor for 3 years. 500 Federal Reserve Notes (USD) for a motor that was rebuilt with only 45k miles on it. He even ran it for me on his flat bed truck with an improvised redneck gas tank. + Battery...

Last edited:

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
The old man is mad at me and says I madea bad choice... :shakehead: I just hopes he gets over it... Hes just thinking negatively I think that man I bought my motor off of was genuine and told me the truth he answered all my questions. Ugh...

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
The old man is mad at me and says I madea bad choice... :shakehead: I just hopes he gets over it... Hes just thinking negatively I think that man I bought my motor off of was genuine and told me the truth he answered all my questions. Ugh...

Put it in and lay some rubber down in his driveway, and ask him how a junk motor could do that?:roflbow:

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Put it in and lay some rubber down in his driveway, and ask him how a junk motor could do that?:roflbow:

He'd probably wanna shoot me hes very anal about his driveway. I'll show him how good my truck runs when I get my project done. ;)

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size