1988 Chevy K5 blazer and motor issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Hello all this is my first post and I own a 1988 Chevy K5 Blazer with the L05 Chevy 350 and 700R4 transmission. I need a new motor for it because I have cracked the heads on it or the head gasket went bad again but the compression is good. Also had a fouled piston ring I cleaned up the plug but she runs okay just burns through coolant. :( There is a 350 motor for sale a carburetored one from 1986 that was rebuilt with only 45k miles on it. I just dunno if this particular motor will allow me to bolt up all my brackets and everything else to make my truck run good once again. The owner has a wreaked truck and has no need for the motor so hes selling it for like 500 bucks. I just don't have the time nor space to overhaul my current motor. I see rebuilds going for 2k and new ones just as much. Since I have the TBI and all I am just wondering if a 1986 350 motor will work for a 1987 on up L05 that my truck came with.

You must be registered for see images

I love this truck and dont wanna get rid of it I have had this tough rugged reliable beast for 4 years and the original motor has never been overhauled.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Welcome to the site, real nice truck man. There are some good questions there and got some real smart dudes here to help. How do you know what happened to the motor, did you take it apart?

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Nice rig and welcome man! :handshake: I'm getting ready to scoot outta here but will be back on later. If your answers aren't posted by then I'll give it a shot:)

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You might be able to find a set of heads for that price, I would go that route before buying a whole other truck that would end up being a head scratcher trying to get everything to work right.

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Welcome to the site, real nice truck man. There are some good questions there and got some real smart dudes here to help. How do you know what happened to the motor, did you take it apart?

I have replaced the head gaskets before a few years ago. It was obvious that it hadn't been really touched much before I owned it. Other than the AC which looked like it had been repaired before and my cruise control stopped working after awhile. (maybe I messed that up) I'd like to upgrade the AC and all that down the road too. I also have other issues like when its cold (Missouri cold) my transfer case wants to stay in 4WD its weird. The motor has been in great I drove it from California to Missouri where I live now. I installed a lower coolant hose backwards and it gave on the way out to my duty station in Missouri. (Air Force guy here)
My truck overheated and yeah I think that is what possibly cracked/warped the heads possibly even blew the head gasket which aint that old. So I dunno what happen exactly to the motor from the first owner who had it before me. I know when I worked on the motor it had all the original pain in the ass brackets and what not on it that were a pain to take off let alone put back on. So those are gone now... :D

The transmission was rebuilt a few years ago too... I bought this truck back in like 07 for like 3500. I beat the hell out of it off roading and what not. Done work on it replaced leaf springs, shocks, wheel bearings, ect. This motor is tired and I need a replacement or overhaul soon.

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
You might be able to find a set of heads for that price, I would go that route before buying a whole other truck that would end up being a head scratcher trying to get everything to work right.

true but if I have bad pistol rings I may run into many other problems. The truck has 540k miles on it lol but like 200k of those miles were from jsut being towed and a majority of the miles on it are highway. yet I did rough this truck up a bit off roading man these things are like TANKS. :D The motor is old and my father says its time for a new motor. He has worked on chevies for years he used to own a GMC 1974 truck with a souped up 350 years ago. It was one reason I love the style of these old trucks. I bet its still on the road too... Anyway I am just trying to figure out something... The seller can run the motor I want to buy for me too. I just do not know if a 1986 motor is compatible with the L05 cam, brackets for alternator, ect. Will straight up work without modding.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I have a very small coolant leak also. Looking at the plugs it looks like just one cylinder is getting just a little water in it, but it's not in the oil, so I am hoping and praying it's just a failed intake gasket and I will be tackling that soon. The previous owner said the head gaskets were replaced about 4 years ago, I hope he wasn't bullshitting me.

I have bought plenty of used motors back in the day, I was lucky enough to know a guy the let you look at and drive the car the motor was in before he pulled it to sell to ya so that was a plus. But I don't know about the older motor working with the newer accesories and TBI and stuff and matching the trans and tourque converter and stuff. I never was in that situation.

I figured that truck was from down south or south west with no rust showing on it, lol.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Hate to see you buy a used motor and it possibly ending up just as bad or worse, you never know how much hell one's really been through. I would call a local machine shop first, get a quote on a shortblock rebuild, and then outsource some heads.

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Nice rig and welcome man! :handshake: I'm getting ready to scoot outta here but will be back on later. If your answers aren't posted by then I'll give it a shot:)
You dont live that far away from me... :wave:

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
Hate to see you buy a used motor and it possibly ending up just as bad or worse, you never know how much hell one's really been through. I would call a local machine shop first, get a quote on a shortblock rebuild, and then outsource some heads.

Me too but this seller is willing to let it run to show me. You're right lord knows what hell any used motor has been through my father told me he never had success with any junk yard motors. Decisions decisions!!! Anyone from my area or the KC area have any recommendations on who I call?

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
I have a very small coolant leak also. Looking at the plugs it looks like just one cylinder is getting just a little water in it, but it's not in the oil, so I am hoping and praying it's just a failed intake gasket and I will be tackling that soon. The previous owner said the head gaskets were replaced about 4 years ago, I hope he wasn't bullshitting me.

I have bought plenty of used motors back in the day, I was lucky enough to know a guy the let you look at and drive the car the motor was in before he pulled it to sell to ya so that was a plus. But I don't know about the older motor working with the newer accesories and TBI and stuff and matching the trans and tourque converter and stuff. I never was in that situation.

I figured that truck was from down south or south west with no rust showing on it, lol.

It had a little bit of cancer rust on it when I bought I took care of that back in August 2010. She was garaged by the previous owner and that pic is a little dated I have a fender that needs replacing ran into a light post on base the road was way too icey last year... I could take updated pictures of it... :D

82chevy350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
1982, 1976
Truck Model
C10, K10, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Too bad you dont live around me i got a machine shop that will do it all for 700 bucks they do all machine work give you rebuilt heads rebuild kit new rods everything you need to rebuild your motor
:banana-mario:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Me too but this seller is willing to let it run to show me. You're right lord knows what hell any used motor has been through my father told me he never had success with any junk yard motors. Decisions decisions!!! Anyone from my area or the KC area have any recommendations on who I call?

There is a really good shop up here that you can trust. I think it's called Spellman's but let me double check that name for you. I'm not sure I spelled that right. They are in Lee's Summit (suburb of KC) and are a really honest outfit. I'll get you their number so you can call them. I'll try and post it for you tomorrow.

Pervis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
350 5.7L
There is a really good shop up here that you can trust. I think it's called Spellman's but let me double check that name for you. I'm not sure I spelled that right. They are in Lee's Summit (suburb of KC) and are a really honest outfit. I'll get you their number so you can call them. I'll try and post it for you tomorrow.

Thanks man my Gf lives out that way so thats perfect!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
70meyers