1987 Silverado Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Ok i have a 1987 silverado with the 305 and automatic transmission It runs and starts fine but im having a problem with it bogging down or spitting and sputtering when i go wot down the road it also seems like it doesnt have much power Im sure my timing is off i set it but am not a expert lol the truck has new plugs, coils. o2 sensor, distrubitor, fuel pump, starter, radiator. I bought this truck off a friend for 800 $ he had it but couldnt find out what was wrong so now im gonna try lol

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok i have a 1987 silverado with the 305 and automatic transmission It runs and starts fine but im having a problem with it bogging down or spitting and sputtering when i go wot down the road it also seems like it doesnt have much power Im sure my timing is off i set it but am not a expert lol the truck has new plugs, coils. o2 sensor, distrubitor, fuel pump, starter, radiator. I bought this truck off a friend for 800 $ he had it but couldnt find out what was wrong so now im gonna try lol

How about the fuel filter? To set the timing, warm up to operating temp, you need to disconnect the timing connector on the firewall, near the brake booster. It a single plug(like the o2 sensor plug) with a tan wire. then loosen the distributor, just enough to turn it, with a little resistance...the bolt is 9/16.
Hook up a timing light, and set it to 0 degrees, shut the engine off. I would recommend disconnecting the battery for 15 seconds before satrting the engine, this will erase the memory in the ECM, and give it a "clean slate" to start over from.
Dont forget to plug the timing wire back in, or the ECM will not be able to control timing.

Last edited:

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size

yeah the fuel filter was replaced aswell the oil was changed my friend put 10w30 in it when he had it im gonna put 10w40 high mileage in it once i get it running good

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
yeah the fuel filter was replaced aswell the oil was changed my friend put 10w30 in it when he had it im gonna put 10w40 high mileage in it once i get it running good

Ok, when the pump was replaced, was the rubber line on top of the pump replaced as well? That particular hose is one of the main causes of problems with TBI trucks, and from what the symptoms you describe, it sounds likenthere is only enough fuel being delivered for idle. Also, Just for the heck of it, check the spark plug wire routing after you set the timing.

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Im not sure about the fuel pump rubber line thing my friend when he had the truck he replaced everything i wasnt there, far as the spark plug wires there was a local mechanic he said the wires were in wrong order so he put them to the way they were supposed to be but he still said the timing wasnt right he did it by listening to the engine i dont know if this will help anyone fighure out what is wrong but also when im in drive or reverse if i sit too long not moving or going slow the engine will stall out but if it is neutral just idleing its fine, Also none of my guages work except my gas guage and battery plus the clock all others dont work not sure why but

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Here are some pictures so you can see more of what it is

Attachments

• IMG138.jpg
    IMG138.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG137.jpg
    IMG137.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG139.jpg
    IMG139.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG148.jpg
    IMG148.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG143.jpg
    IMG143.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 163

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
Anyone might know what the problem is with the truck please post lol im stumped with the truck plus i have plenty of pictures to show of the truck to help fighure out whats wrong.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Sounds like it might be vacuum leak to me. Check all your hoses and the front/rear seals on the intake. A vacuum gauge would really help.

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
where would the vacum be at mind you i have not alot of experiance with motors just little

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
I do know tho that there are 3 little hoses unhooked there both dangling freely two are near the distrubitor and the other is on left side near valve cover if you look at these pics i put up they are there

Attachments

• IMG154.jpg
    IMG154.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG155.jpg
    IMG155.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I cant tell from those pics but if you got vacuum lines off that is 90% of your problem I bet. Try to figure out where they go, or in the meantime try plugging/capping them and see if it improves any.

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
ok ill do that tomorow when i got the truck they were just dangling i didnt see where they coulda gone at time so i left them but ill deffintly try to find out two of the hoses are really small in diameter the other one near the left valve cover tho is larger

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yeah the smaller ones look likee hard plastic lines, a rubber line may slip on one of those. If not sure cap the small ones and plug the larger rubber ones.

AMW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado
Engine Size
also where does my pcv hook to cause right now its just open on top of valve cover ?

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Hopefully one of the other guys can help, I'm a carb guy and I think yours is tbi. If I had to guess I would say there's a large connector on the base of the throttle body that the large vacuum hose hooks to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sammygunns