1987 Silverado Diesel Swap Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mudgrips

Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
305 V8
Hey guys, I'm new to the site but figured this was the place to be for all my questions. I have an 87 Silverado that currently has just a 305 V8 under the hood. Ive been looking at doing a diesel swap and wanted to get anyones advice. The best way to go about it, exactly what it would entail and such. Id love to do a duramax swap but I'm currently looking at a couple of 7.3's. Let me know guys all info and advice welcome!!

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Welcome to the site.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Welcome!

7.3? Isnt that a furd?

The easiest swap would be the 6.2L detroit as they are painfully simple engines and came in these trucks originally. The next step would be the detroit 6.5L turbo, but it wont fit too well with the OEM A/C box on the firewall, otherwise that's another fairly simple swap.

Another option is the older mechanical Cummins. Very popular, but much more work to install, including a possible body lift.

Anything newer (Duramax, modern Cummins etc) will be a huge pain and involve significant work (primarily wiring etc) to make happen.

Then of course there is always the Detroit 2-strokes or even the baby CAT - but now you are talked HUGE amounts of work to custom fit an engine originally designed for a semi truck.

My vote? The 6.5TD. They can be had for cheap, put out plenty of power, are fairly simple, and should fit without toooo much work.

Just keep in mind these are all VERY heavy engines. I guarantee that your little half-ton will need front suspension upgrades to handle the weight, so plan on that too.

Good luck!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Welcome!

7.3? Isnt that a furd?

The easiest swap would be the 6.2L detroit as they are painfully simple engines and came in these trucks originally. The next step would be the detroit 6.5L turbo, but it wont fit too well with the OEM A/C box on the firewall, otherwise that's another fairly simple swap.

Another option is the older mechanical Cummins. Very popular, but much more work to install, including a possible body lift.

Anything newer (Duramax, modern Cummins etc) will be a huge pain and involve significant work (primarily wiring etc) to make happen.

Then of course there is always the Detroit 2-strokes or even the baby CAT - but now you are talked HUGE amounts of work to custom fit an engine originally designed for a semi truck.

My vote? The 6.5TD. They can be had for cheap, put out plenty of power, are fairly simple, and should fit without toooo much work.

Just keep in mind these are all VERY heavy engines. I guarantee that your little half-ton will need front suspension upgrades to handle the weight, so plan on that too.

Good luck!

I wasn't sure about giving my two cents until I saw this because I didn't want to be scorned by the forum, but my vote is a modified 6.2. I'm gonna attach a link for an article that made me really excited about these motors. Essentially, this motor was tested on a dynamometer and rated 188 horsepower with 350 foot pounds of torque at 1100-1800 RPM. A 1995 7.3L makes 210 HP at 3000 RPM and 425 foot pounds of torque at 4000 RPM. So, in regard to the turboed 6.2, you can achieve almost the same much more efficiently, for a decent price, and have a finished product that is VERY easily compatible with what it's going in. Not to mention not having to deal with an OBD I (or II) wiring and sensor harness. This article doesn't mention headers so there might be a couple horses and foot pounds to add to that figure. I would consider a 5.9 Cummins, but compatibility is a big advantage that the 6.2 gives you that the Cummins will not. And personally, I believe in keeping it GM. That's just me, though.
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/0554dp-62l-buildup/
Here's the source for the PSD numbers.
http://www.powerstrokehub.com/timeline.html

Last edited:

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I heard about that concept. I think they called in the 6.2.5 hybrid or something. Apparently it was like the 383 of the diesel world. A magical combo of two seemingly different engines that resulted in a monster. If ever I decide to go diesel, that's the route I'd love to go.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Same. A project that I'd like to do one day is a 73-77 Elco with that built 6.2.

Mudgrips

Reaction score
First Name
Cole
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
305 V8
Thank you guys for all your input!

Latest posts

Forum statistics