1987 Chevrolet 350 tbi high idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I am not sure if those wax sticks can still be found. if you plan to have an IR thermometer, I'd just use that to monitor thermostat operation to test it.
Id almost bet you they went the way of CV axle service and alternator service with IR thermometers affordable

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
While reading all the provided articles should the temperature still be 4-6° above thermostat temp before it drops and 10 below when it closes? I can’t remember the four or six but it was a lower number for it to open.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I don't know for sure, but I think it starts to open at the rated temp +/- a few degrees. fully open is probably at rated temp plus not more than 10 degrees, or so, I bet.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude. What a mess!

If this was my truck sitting in my driveway?
What would I do?
I think the same thing I would do to Joe Customer's truck...i'd sleep on it for sure.
Probably after I put it all back together i'd get my belly full and go to bed early.

The next day I would make a pot of coffee, play some deth metl and smoke a joint or something while I looked at the truck.
Lookin at it.

Havin good ideas...

Ive read up fresh. Glad to learn of oil change and new radiator...hmm new radiator. Does it fit properly and appear to be the correct part?
No janky bullship allowed.

Now we are brainstorming...let's have a picture of the intake manifold huh?, this must be near the problem of improper BYPASS HOSE ROUTING?
Ah-ha!

Let's see it. The bypass hose coming out of the water pump and the intake manifold pliz. Does your truck happen to have any ghetto bull in the heater core hoses? That's reaching but let's see anyway.
You know, a little PRESTONE deal for flushing coolant systems been spliced in somewhere?

I'm way more concerned with the BYPASS HOSE ROUTING.

Hold on.
"Truck was totaled" I am ALSO curious about the A/C condenser and what may be in front of the radiator.

Sacrificial Slaughter in the CD player today, maybe they can help.
:rockit:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
You must be registered for see images attach

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350

Here is 10 photos from different views in my engine bay, I do not see a hose coming off water pump going to intake? I tried to include as much in the photos as possible like the engine coolant temp sensor being a three wire with the ground right beside it. The last photo is actually a question, does anyone know what this pinkish color wire is that’s got a plug on the drivers side frame rail? It looks like it’s going to one of the headlights? Yes there are coolant puddles on the intake manifold, I hope it’s just extra that stayed in a puddle from the other day and not it leaking around thermostat housing again.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
@Rusty Nail the radiator should be a direct replacement, every hose lined up and it was exact same size as original one. When I got the truck the heater core leaked in passenger floor board and it had a couple “bypassing” it but that was removed when I replaced all of it, so no there are no added in connectors in any of the hoses as far as I’m aware everything appears factory. There shouldn’t be anything in the hoses, but incase is there any way of finding out without completely draining the system? I’ll try stuff before completely draining it again. I will drain it and completely flush it if that’s what needs to be done, but rather save the money on coolant if I can. Just put a gallon and a half in it the other day

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
@Rusty Nail oops I missed your part about ac condenser. The truck is a non ac truck I don’t have a condenser compressor any of it. I got a wing window and a crank to roll the window down ;)

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@Rusty Nail oops I missed your part about ac condenser. The truck is a non ac truck I don’t have a condenser compressor any of it. I got a wing window and a crank to roll the window down ;)
your fan. its 3 blades. weird.
your shroud is broken on the bottom thats gonna affect those 3 blades ability to cool. i recommend a 5 or 7 blade and a fix or replace for the shroud piece

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
@AuroraGirl yes that would effect it sitting there and getting hot but it’s getting hotter while driving, the wind from moving at 45mph should help? The bottom of the shroud got broken in the wreck I assume maybe the fan hit it? I dunno I was maybe 2 or 3 when it happened. The truck was my dads truck he bought it off an older fellow who used it to pull a horse trailer and take garbage to the dump it had 40,000 miles on it when he got it and he drove it for about 20k and it got totaled by a mini van that pulled out in front of him at an intersection, hit drivers front fender and since he was pulling a trailer it swung around and took out both sides of the bed, front axle was pushed out to the passenger side and the truck was left totaled. He had an 87 r10 that he took the parts off to fix it and then scrapped that truck. The cab passenger door and passenger fender are the only original parts everything else was off the 2wd truck. After it got wrecked he didn’t care about it as much and ended up sinking it in mud and blew the engine, later bought a dirt track race car engine and took the block off it and put all the tbi stuff on that block. Truck now has 94 thousand miles. Be a chunk of gold if it was all original body parts.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
@AuroraGirl yes that would effect it sitting there and getting hot but it’s getting hotter while driving, the wind from moving at 45mph should help? The bottom of the shroud got broken in the wreck I assume maybe the fan hit it? I dunno I was maybe 2 or 3 when it happened. The truck was my dads truck he bought it off an older fellow who used it to pull a horse trailer and take garbage to the dump it had 40,000 miles on it when he got it and he drove it for about 20k and it got totaled by a mini van that pulled out in front of him at an intersection, hit drivers front fender and since he was pulling a trailer it swung around and took out both sides of the bed, front axle was pushed out to the passenger side and the truck was left totaled. He had an 87 r10 that he took the parts off to fix it and then scrapped that truck. The cab passenger door and passenger fender are the only original parts everything else was off the 2wd truck. After it got wrecked he didn’t care about it as much and ended up sinking it in mud and blew the engine, later bought a dirt track race car engine and took the block off it and put all the tbi stuff on that block. Truck now has 94 thousand miles. Be a chunk of gold if it was all original body parts.
The wind is getting a lot of turbulance it cant flow through it so much it flows toward it, yanks down, air from road interupts the flow. i dont think you would have overheating on that alone while moving, but you could have a combo problem./

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
im not inspired by the ground on the core support.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
The fan probably doesn’t help but I still think there’s a bigger issue, I can look into a new fan and shroud. Most of the time these trucks don’t have the shroud or the tube from exhaust manifold to air cleaner or tube from air cleaner to rad. support. Mines got them all

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
The ground on the core support has an added wire for a light bar, that I never use ffs but it was a gift so I put it on the truck. It’s a small light bar. I just tucked the ground wire under the washer for the existing ground.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood