1985 c10, 5.0l 305

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
http://www.royalmotor.net/1985_Chevrolet_CK 10 Series_San Leandro_CA_260544703.veh

A vastly overpriced 305 C10... but... if I can finance it then pay it off in a few months, that would be pretty cool. Since a dealer is selling it, it has to have passed a basic inspection as well as California smog test, which means it must be running OK.

I've heard the 305 is pathetic in that it gets the same MPG as a 350 while offering less performance, but I feel that a 305/700R4 would probably provide decent MPG. It would have a 700R4, right?

Thoughts?

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I think that's a good price for that truck. If you can get the vehicle history and make sure that it's strong running and driving, that's a good price. The 305 is a damn good engine. It's not the 350 in terms of torque or horsepower, but 305's are everywhere, and they're just as reliable if that's what you're looking for. I don't know what kind of emissions equipment they put for a 4 BBL fuel delivery, but I know some of that stuff takes away from the engine's performance. It'll take care of you, though, if it's been taken care of. Yes, it has a 700R4. Oh, and the economy difference is marginal between the 305 and 350. I looked it up once, and it was like 1 mpg. I think it has a lot of potential.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
It's not a bad price. If it were me, I'd go in and test drive it.

It will need a front fender, grill, head light bezels, and maybe bumper. I can help you with the head light bezels, I'd put a billet grill in, to clean up the front. Lower it a bit. Clean up the interior a little at a time, and as money permits. As far as the 305, well it's a 305 it was made for emissions. Gutless, but it is a small block, plenty of parts available. I think it is a good jump off point.

Take the time and go look at it. if you like it offer him 1500.00 and see what he says. I wouldn't go over 1800. If you are going to finance it, your going to be about 3000, if you give him asking price.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
I just hope I can get financing for something so old. Even with like 25% on 36 months its a cheap monthly payment and I could pay it off quicker down the road.

I did submit the contact form on their site, and am awaiting their call.

Not a big fan of billet grills, so I probably won't go that route to fix it.

Not too worried about "gutless" I bet you haven't driven a four cylinder Chevy Colorado like my 07 - that thing is SLOOOOW.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I thought you were going to sell a vehicle and use that amount to buy a square?

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I just hope I can get financing for something so old. Even with like 25% on 36 months its a cheap monthly payment and I could pay it off quicker down the road.

I did submit the contact form on their site, and am awaiting their call.

Not a big fan of billet grills, so I probably won't go that route to fix it.

Not too worried about "gutless" I bet you haven't driven a four cylinder Chevy Colorado like my 07 - that thing is SLOOOOW.

If they won't, go to your bank and take out a personal loan. It would be a lot cheaper on the interest rate. You can have them take the payment right out of your checking account a couple of time a month, that way you do get hit with a large payment. Easier on the pocket, and you build a bit of credit with your bank....win...win....

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
I thought you were going to sell a vehicle and use that amount to buy a square?

I sold my 1995 Suburban but that money went to paying down my credit cards and a few bills I was behind on, instead of a square. That's why I want to finance it so there is no up front cost :)

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
If they won't, go to your bank and take out a personal loan. It would be a lot cheaper on the interest rate. You can have them take the payment right out of your checking account a couple of time a month, that way you do get hit with a large payment. Easier on the pocket, and you build a bit of credit with your bank....win...win....

Agreed on this, win-win. Plus if you go this route you can see if another square with a 350 pops up if that's a concern. :cheers:

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Well if I don't have to buy from dealer (using a personal loan) that gives me many more options and I would like to go with a pre-smog gasser (74 older), maybe a TBI gasser (87), or diesel (any year square body)... but I don't want to have to stop at scales, which I do if I get a utility bed, so I'd like to convert to a bed, how hard is that to do? I'm sure I could trade the utility bed for a regular bed + cash perhaps.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5423976757.html

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Well if I don't have to buy from dealer (using a personal loan) that gives me many more options and I would like to go with a pre-smog gasser (74 older), maybe a TBI gasser (87), or diesel (any year square body)... but I don't want to have to stop at scales, which I do if I get a utility bed, so I'd like to convert to a bed, how hard is that to do? I'm sure I could trade the utility bed for a regular bed + cash perhaps.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5423976757.html

Why buy something you are going to have to put a **** ton of work into right off the bat.
1..You would need a dually bed....and it looks like in the pics it's a 10 foot box. That means frame work.
2..Salvage title.....good luck getting that put into your name in Cali.
3..He talks about the motor a little to much...about how strong it is, how good it runs. My experience, the motor is getting ready to take a crap, he knows it, and that's why he is getting rid of it.

You don't have to cross scales unless, you have it registered as a commercial vehicle, and it's over 4500 GVW. Unless thing have changed out there since I moved from Cali.

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Why buy something you are going to have to put a **** ton of work into right off the bat.
1..You would need a dually bed....and it looks like in the pics it's a 10 foot box. That means frame work.
2..Salvage title.....good luck getting that put into your name in Cali.
3..He talks about the motor a little to much...about how strong it is, how good it runs. My experience, the motor is getting ready to take a crap, he knows it, and that's why he is getting rid of it.

You don't have to cross scales unless, you have it registered as a commercial vehicle, and it's over 4500 GVW. Unless thing have changed out there since I moved from Cali.

http://dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/weigh-stations/stopping.htm

According to both my friend who has an F-550 Bucket Truck and that website, I would have to stop, if I had a utility bed. And yes, that CL ad for that orange diesel square - guy is clearly a bit weird. I decided against the 1985 C10 305, because it's not any of the things I like - TBI or Diesel or Pre-Smog

mistaake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crown Vic
Engine Size
Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
So did you make a purchase?

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
At $700 you could afford to throw a TBI or something in it if the body is clean.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising