1978 C10 front marker lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I did try putting back in the original incandescent bulbs but with the LED relays, they barely would blink. I have 3 types of dual function ordered. Hopefully!!!!!! One will work. They are the wedge 164 bulbs I am replacing.
I thought it was 194 or 168? I may have my numbers mixed up, but I for sure know they are all the same bulb throughout the years. Do you have the old school tube fuses or blade fuses? I know the change was around 79

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Oh yeah sorry. It is a 168

Brett Graves

Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Can someone please tell me if the front maker lights on a 1978 Chevy C10 are supposed to blink when the turn signal is engaged? Since I am normally driving, I really do not know if they are supposed to blink or not.

Thanks.
Yeah, they are. They blink with the front turn signals when the running lights are off, and against the blinkers when the lights are on.

Brett Graves

Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes, the ones on front fender - the ones below headlights work fine. I am havimg an issue with the fender side markers. I have switched to LEDs and they are the only ones that are acting up. Headlights off, they blink. Headlights on, they do not blink and do not light up. I checked polarity on bulbs and it made no difference.
They won't work right with LED bulbs, since they don't have a proper ground. I'm replacing mine with LED marker lights instead of just bulb replacements.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The side markers can’t blink both headlights on and off with LEDs because the polarity of the socket is changed when it’s one cs the other. My car has turn lamps in front, and they illuminate with park lamps, but switch back with the 3157 mounted forward in the same housing. With an LED, I CAN REVERSE The bulb and change WHICH function it lights for, but not both without more wiring. A simple solution is to wire the bulb to receive power when the front does, but that means not having a legal side markers on a square. My car would still actually have a side marker since the lamp wraps around. You can see about getting a dual “filament”bulb that you can mount in the side marker and then running power for turn to one wire and power to park lamps to the other, then it will increase brightness and blink with,not opposite, your front lamp.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
They won't work right with LED bulbs, since they don't have a proper ground. I'm replacing mine with LED marker lights instead of just bulb replacements.

I just ordered a set from CARiD. Hoping they solve the problem. :(

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Did you try flipping them 180* and put back in. That has worked for me a couple of times.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Did you try flipping them 180* and put back in. That has worked for me a couple of times.

Yep, no help. I know they are polarity sensitive. They light up (dimly), blink (dimly) when headlights are off. But when headlights are on, they do not blink at all - the side markers. The parking/signals under the headlamps work fine with headlights on or off.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Reason I asked because my led didn't seem very Brite at first flipped it and stuck back in and much brighter.

You must be registered for see images attach

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Yep, no help. I know they are polarity sensitive. They light up (dimly), blink (dimly) when headlights are off. But when headlights are on, they do not blink at all - the side markers. The parking/signals under the headlamps work fine with headlights on or off.

That sux.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Reason I asked because my led didn't seem very Brite at first flipped it and stuck back in and much brighter.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It almost sounds like your socket allowed power to the right pins but on the wrong orientation and that could be conductive debris or the bulb itself. If it’s working snd doesn’t die, Id think you’re safe. Make sure your housing is sealed, those LEDs domt handle then environment well and my experience is the housings often have a bad seal and then the open contacts corrode

Crusader fixer

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
Diesel
I had electrical gremlins trotting everywhere in the '80 P30 I've been working on, particularly the markers and turn signals Turned out the grounds were all funky. GM saved something(?) by grounding a whole bunch of things at one point. I chased the gremlins when I got tired of trying to figure out where the grounds were and grounded everything individually.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
bulbs look like the first picture. I have ordered the 3 different dual function bulbs to try. Concerned that they may be too tall for marker lens. Guess I will see soon. I also ordered the LED side marker replacement lens set up.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I had electrical gremlins trotting everywhere in the '80 P30 I've been working on, particularly the markers and turn signals Turned out the grounds were all funky. GM saved something(?) by grounding a whole bunch of things at one point. I chased the gremlins when I got tired of trying to figure out where the grounds were and grounded everything individually.

Thing is, when they were all incandescent, they worked fine. So, not sure if it is the ground. But will keep in mind.