14 Bolt FF 4.10 Open Differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
same here nobody has anything good for free or cheap.

Now bring either the 4.10 or the 4.56 to me and I'll put it under my 88 then find a front axle to match and do a solid axle swap lol.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I also got 14B Full Float 3.21 in the 84 C20, and the 88 C20 Burb has 3.73's. I think I'll soon have a collection of all gear ratios possile in the 14B FF. BUT, sorry, won't give them up. However, I do also have 2 14Bolt 9.5 in 4.10 ratio Semi Floats. Both are 8 luggers out of 84 and 85 C20's. Those are in the 2 brown truck projects that are to be consoidated to 1 truck.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294 Brown Trucks Project. Combine and 84 C20 and an 85 C20.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Did the squares ever come with a posi trac type of set up?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Did the squares ever come with a posi trac type of set up?

Sure. I don't know what unit was in them though before 1980. 1980 was the first year for Eaton Gov-Lock which is still used today. I don't care for it much. Its a weak system since the toothed outer ring gear can strip out and then no more lock up. Also, its only good to about 25mph. So if you into a spin or say trying to heat up your tires to race, its not gonna happen. Good system for pulling a boat up a wet launch ramp and things like that, but not very good performance. Another good thing though, when the locker part doesn't work, it will not leave you stranded. You just operate as a standard differential at that point.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
:hmm: Interesting....The reason I ask is because my end goal with my rear end is to get 3.73 or 4.10 gears put in but I'd also like a posi unit back there. For no reason really other than quick launches at stop lights and just general horsing around. Right now, my truck is respectably quick but I have a hard time getting good traction because if I let it I could spin the driver side tire all day long if I just mash the pedal. So I've always been infatuated with getting a posi back there when I get my rear end regeared.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
:hmm: Interesting....The reason I ask is because my end goal with my rear end is to get 3.73 or 4.10 gears put in but I'd also like a posi unit back there. For no reason really other than quick launches at stop lights and just general horsing around. Right now, my truck is respectably quick but I have a hard time getting good traction because if I let it I could spin the driver side tire all day long if I just mash the pedal. So I've always been infatuated with getting a posi back there when I get my rear end regeared.

You going with a locker unit or a limited slip posi unit??? Lockers are a bit umcomfy on corners and a bit noisy usually in reverse, but they are the best if you want both wheels locked up most of the time. Lockers stay locked and unlock on corners when one wheels spins faster than the other, but it takes a bit to detect that sometimes, so you could get a hop or something like that until it unlocks.
A limited slip is just that. The wheels are NOT locked up, but when its detected after so much of a slip of one wheel, then it will grab the other wheel too and at that point then its locked up. So a locker is alwasy locked and takes a bit to unlock, and a limited slip is unlocked and takes a bit before it locks up.
There are several good LSD (Limited Slip Diff) units and for a locker, Detroilt Locker is about the best. Expensive though. Then there is LockRight locker units that I am anxious to try. They are good for 350hp or 35in tires. Not the strongest locker but nevertheless, it is a locker and can handle 350hp. Its also reasonably priced and easy to install yourself without re setting up your R&P. In fact you could buy a lockright now, install it. And when you have your rear diff done, have them put the same locker in it. Its not a carrier replacement, it replaces your spider gears.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
You going with a locker unit or a limited slip posi unit??? Lockers are a bit umcomfy on corners and a bit noisy usually in reverse, but they are the best if you want both wheels locked up most of the time. Lockers stay locked and unlock on corners when one wheels spins faster than the other, but it takes a bit to detect that sometimes, so you could get a hop or something like that until it unlocks.
A limited slip is just that. The wheels are NOT locked up, but when its detected after so much of a slip of one wheel, then it will grab the other wheel too and at that point then its locked up. So a locker is alwasy locked and takes a bit to unlock, and a limited slip is unlocked and takes a bit before it locks up.
There are several good LSD (Limited Slip Diff) units and for a locker, Detroilt Locker is about the best. Expensive though. Then there is LockRight locker units that I am anxious to try. They are good for 350hp or 35in tires. Not the strongest locker but nevertheless, it is a locker and can handle 350hp. Its also reasonably priced and easy to install yourself without re setting up your R&P. In fact you could buy a lockright now, install it. And when you have your rear diff done, have them put the same locker in it. Its not a carrier replacement, it replaces your spider gears.

My thought was to go the limited slip route. I don't need them locked up all the time. The vast majority of my driving is just cruising and as I've gotten older my driving has become considerably more conservative but every once in a while I'll revert back to being 18 again and wanna mash on the throttle taking off from a stop light :) Especially next to some young kid in his Mustang driving out with his GF thinking he's hot stuff :D

How much does an LSD unit normally run and is it difficult to install?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
My thought was to go the limited slip route. I don't need them locked up all the time. The vast majority of my driving is just cruising and as I've gotten older my driving has become considerably more conservative but every once in a while I'll revert back to being 18 again and wanna mash on the throttle taking off from a stop light :) Especially next to some young kid in his Mustang driving out with his GF thinking he's hot stuff :D

How much does an LSD unit normally run and is it difficult to install?

I'm thinking you can get a nice Auburn LSD unit for about $400-$500 and have to have someone that knows what they are doing set it up since it requires a carrier swap. May as well have the whole rear end gone over. New seals and bearings etc.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'm thinking you can get a nice Auburn LSD unit for about $400-$500 and have to have someone that knows what they are doing set it up since it requires a carrier swap. May as well have the whole rear end gone over. New seals and bearings etc.

Yeah, that's what I was going to do since I'd be switching gears, too. So it looks like I'd be looking at a $1000 job or with parts and labor.

Thanks for the info and insight! :D

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, that's what I was going to do since I'd be switching gears, too. So it looks like I'd be looking at a $1000 job or with parts and labor.

Thanks for the info and insight! :D

Prolly so with all new bearins, seals, new gears and a new LSD carrier. Take a look and do some research on Auburn and Eaton LSD units. Read the functions of each and how they operate and decide which one better suits your needs and wants. Units with clutches work well, but those clutch packs, like an auto trans, do tend to wear out. Although, they usually don't see the heat that an auto trans sees and usually cooled by all the gear oil. There are also some clutchless units too.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Prolly so with all new bearins, seals, new gears and a new LSD carrier. Take a look and do some research on Auburn and Eaton LSD units. Read the functions of each and how they operate and decide which one better suits your needs and wants. Units with clutches work well, but those clutch packs, like an auto trans, do tend to wear out. Although, they usually don't see the heat that an auto trans sees and usually cooled by all the gear oil. There are also some clutchless units too.

I'll definitely make sure I look back a these suggestions when I get to this part of my project! With the high price tag it'll probably be a little bit down the road. Hopefully I can at least get the gears for cheap somewhere to bring down the price a little bit :waytogo:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Has anyone ever heard of a yukon grizzly locker?

I need a locker for my 14 bolt FF and i`m thinking about getting one. They`re only $389

http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=8159

I've heard of it, and that's about it. You're like the 3rd person I have seen mention it. It looks to be similar to the Detroit Locker unit. I thnk the DTLocked is about $600 or so though. The LockRight is about $300. Do you know the hp and tire size rating for the Grizzly locker?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody