WTB: Black NOS dash for my '82 please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
http://www.classicparts.com/Door-Panels/products/1001/

They're gone. Either closed out or out of stock. Part number was 19-213 - no longer listed. My catalog is probably a couple of years old Catalog 5 - Volume 8. They don't date their catalogs so it may be older.

It was an unbelievable deal. I paid $169 for the pair (not as good as the published price but still a steal). These were actual GMC OEM panels. When I finally decided to bite the bullet I thought it was 169 per panel - I nearly crapped em when the guy said "nope, thats for the pair of OEMs".

They still have the OEM stock for lower level trim trucks at 239/pr. That's another thing I found strange - the ones that accept high-end trim (Silverado & Sierra Classic like you and I have) were always almost $100 cheaper.

I have a source for the original cloth seat fabric. It is beautful when new. The upholstery guy I use gets it from some place in Chicago. There is still a few hundred yds of it left - or there was a year ago.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Everthing has gone way up in price. It looks like at one time they did used to carry all OEM colors. Page 3 shows some for Rear 77-80 doors in Saddle, Blue, Red and Gray. Likely to be left overs when they stocked colors. It's OK though. IF they are of good quality, and I can get Black door panels and dash pad, then use Charcoal Gray seat fabric and inserts for the door panels, that should look pretty good too. I'd like to have at least one truck that is really nice inside out. The others, I just want to be tolerable to look at and sanitary. Thanks for digging up the info.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
When I have tried to save inners in the past they never come out right. No matter what you apply it's impossible to replicate the pebble grain finish on the window sills. It's also very hard to even get the paint to stick.

Are you talking about repairing worn panels? Mine still have the pebble grain on the top and the paint is sticking well. I scuffed them with 0000 steel wool before I painted them.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Most of mine are worse where someone has rode with their arm hanging out the window most likley, but like he says, right at the window sill area. Rest of the panel is fine just not the top portion.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yeah the surface where you hang your arm out the window - between that and the sun beating down on it - they get worn smooth and crumble.

Maybe if the truck was always garaged it wouldn't occur, but mine never get into the garage except to get fixed.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I guess I just got lucky and got panels that still had grain at the top. My other trucks are worn smooth at the top, but I've never went looking for good replacements. I never realized how hard it is to find panels with grain at the top.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yep, it sure is. I've even considered using some texture like paint and wondered how redneck it would look, just to get use on my OEM panels. I actually only want one of my trucks to be really nice in an OEM look, but the rest, whatever I can do custom for cheap to make them not look like an eye sore and just be decent looking is what I'd like to do with them. The 4x4's.. I want them to look good, not like junk, but lets be real, it's a 4x4 and going to be abused in bad weather and dirty muddy situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly