Wiper diagnosis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If someone shares how to get those arms off, I’ll be happy. I need to touch up some paint, and that’s the main spot. Plus, I’d like to have the option of switching to cowl wiper nozzles.

Removing and replacing wiper arms:

1. Remove the arm from the drive capstan.

It's not a well known fact, but it isn't necessary to pry (and hold) the little locking spring away from the shaft while pulling the knuckle. That is what most people think needs to be done and it can be a cumbersome task. You will already have enough to do while struggling to remove the knuckle from the splined shaft.

Just pull the top (blade) end of arm away from glass. This will trip lock spring in the base of the arm and release spring from undercut of pivot shaft (drive capstan).

You must be registered for see images attach

While still holding arm outward from the glass, use a flatbar/prybar or screwdriver to pry upward on the knuckle at base of arm. Don't try to pry it off in just one spot. It will come off much easier if you work from side to side and are careful not to get the knuckle cocked on the splines. To prevent hacking up your paint job - like shown above, wrap the fulcrum area of your prying tool with duct/masking tape.

Here are a couple of hints on wiper arm R&R (esp. if you are going to put a nice finish on the cowl):

1. Before you pull the arms (and with the wipers in the normal parked position) use a Sharpie or a piece of tape and mark the park position of the wiper blade tip on the windshield. Use that as a reference when reinstalling the arms on the splines. Nothing is worse than getting all done and then finding out that the wipers park on the rubber or 2 inches up the glass.

2. While the arms are off the drive spindles, thoroughly clean the splines. Use a toothbrush sized stainless steel wire brush and get all the debris out of the grooves in both ID of the wiper arm base and the OD of drive spindle itself. Apply a tiny bit of Never-seize to the spline to aid in future removals. If you didn't heed the first hint, that future removal could be sooner than you think.

3. This is a great opportunity to recondition your arms. Believe it or not, one of the biggest detractors from the overall first impression of a vehicle is a pair of chipped and or rusted wiper arms. For some reason people's eyes go right to them.

Take the time to sand out any chips or rust spots. When you get them smoothed out wash in warm soapy water and rinse well. Dry and wipe down with acetone or MEK. Coat with a flat black trim paint. Sem "Trim Black" is great but expensive, lately I've been using Duplicolor black trim paint. It's cheaper and has been working well.

After they are completely dry (4-6 hrs) put them in the oven and bake the finish on. For the first couple of hours, use LOW LOW heat - as low as your oven can go - 175 degrees. After that crank it up to 250 and let them bake for 4-5 more hours.

They'll look real nice - and will stay that way for a long time.

Have a rubber mallet on hand when reinstalling your wiper arms. Trust me on this, you'll see why!

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Removing and replacing wiper arms:

1. Remove the arm from the drive capstan.

It's not a well known fact, but it isn't necessary to pry (and hold) the little locking spring away from the shaft while pulling the knuckle. That is what most people think needs to be done and it can be a cumbersome task. You will already have enough to do while struggling to remove the knuckle from the splined shaft.

Just pull the top (blade) end of arm away from glass. This will trip lock spring in the base of the arm and release spring from undercut of pivot shaft (drive capstan).

You must be registered for see images attach

While still holding arm outward from the glass, use a flatbar/prybar or screwdriver to pry upward on the knuckle at base of arm. Don't try to pry it off in just one spot. It will come off much easier if you work from side to side and are careful not to get the knuckle cocked on the splines. To prevent hacking up your paint job - like shown above, wrap the fulcrum area of your prying tool with duct/masking tape.

Here are a couple of hints on wiper arm R&R (esp. if you are going to put a nice finish on the cowl):

1. Before you pull the arms (and with the wipers in the normal parked position) use a Sharpie or a piece of tape and mark the park position of the wiper blade tip on the windshield. Use that as a reference when reinstalling the arms on the splines. Nothing is worse than getting all done and then finding out that the wipers park on the rubber or 2 inches up the glass.

2. While the arms are off the drive spindles, thoroughly clean the splines. Use a toothbrush sized stainless steel wire brush and get all the debris out of the grooves in both ID of the wiper arm base and the OD of drive spindle itself. Apply a tiny bit of Never-seize to the spline to aid in future removals. If you didn't heed the first hint, that future removal could be sooner than you think.

3. This is a great opportunity to recondition your arms. Believe it or not, one of the biggest detractors from the overall first impression of a vehicle is a pair of chipped and or rusted wiper arms. For some reason people's eyes go right to them.

Take the time to sand out any chips or rust spots. When you get them smoothed out wash in warm soapy water and rinse well. Dry and wipe down with acetone or MEK. Coat with a flat black trim paint. Sem "Trim Black" is great but expensive, lately I've been using Duplicolor black trim paint. It's cheaper and has been working well.

After they are completely dry (4-6 hrs) put them in the oven and bake the finish on. For the first couple of hours, use LOW LOW heat - as low as your oven can go - 175 degrees. After that crank it up to 250 and let them bake for 4-5 more hours.

They'll look real nice - and will stay that way for a long time.

Have a rubber mallet on hand when reinstalling your wiper arms. Trust me on this, you'll see why!

Thanks, man. I’ll definitely give this a try once the weather warms up consistently so I can do some painting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody