Windsheild Frame Rusted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Look around this area in the PNW. Quite a few around. Tough if you're specific on 70s year, short bed and no rust. That eliminates 90% of the trucks. No rust any year, long bed 2wd half tons are dime a dozen by comparison.
But this is one of the better areas to find no rust, just a long drive for you.

OEMBent

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Look around this area in the PNW. Quite a few around. Tough if you're specific on 70s year, short bed and no rust. That eliminates 90% of the trucks. No rust any year, long bed 2wd half tons are dime a dozen by comparison.
But this is one of the better areas to find no rust, just a long drive for you.

Do you think I would be wise to consider newer years? I was hoping to stay out of all the emission stuff and not have to deal with a cat, smog pump, etc.

I mean I do prefer the round eyes, but the later models still look pretty good. I suppose I could do a long bed. That is what my other ones were. I guess I could work with it. Just seems like a compromise in a way.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Do you think I would be wise to consider newer years? I was hoping to stay out of all the emission stuff and not have to deal with a cat, smog pump, etc.

I mean I do prefer the round eyes, but the later models still look pretty good. I suppose I could do a long bed. That is what my other ones were. I guess I could work with it. Just seems like a compromise in a way.
Ain’t many 80s models running around with the cat converters under them and air pumps working. And if they are they’re rusted out or junk anyway.
Are you expecting to get a rust free 70s shortbed that doesn’t need an exhaust or engine or anything for $5k?

Newer doesn’t = better necessarily. They’re all old now and it’s 90% how good of condition it’s in and 10% what year.
But a 1987 in good condition is less likely to have rotten wiring than a 1973 in seemingly as good of condition.
Are you saying you’d have to have emissions in tact?
Thought that was only a Cali thing.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
$6600 for this one. Still for sale as of today. Thought it would be gone already honestly.
1 rust hole in passenger fender. All original 350/4.10/4speed/AC truck with original big hub Dana 44 front.
Wife is lucky I’m almost to busy to even take a relaxing **** or it would be at my house already. Buddy would have sold it to me for $500 more than he paid for it!
This is really what I wanted when I go the ‘86....
You could buy it tonight.
I drove it. Has a leaky back brake, needs exhaust and essentially hasn’t been run in 15+ years until last week.
Steering and drivetrain is tight!
And aside from the top of the tailgate, the bigges t dent in the whole truck is that ding on the fender. Including the inside of the bed!!
Pretty much don’t get better for a 45 year old vehicle for cheap.
It’s on Seattle Craigslist and I can vouch for the owner although he’s only owned it a couple weeks. And the engine doesn’t even make so much as a tick. Sounds like a new car. Was 2nd owner. Bought new in Detroit, and drove to Colorado. 4 years in Colorado and bought by last owner and been in Seattle ever since. That guy had it since about 1981 ish and it broke the alternator belt in about 2005 and parked under a lean to since.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
PS I’m not a car salesman but if you want a truck that is verifiably not rusted, banged up or hacked up in any way, this is it.
It still needs restored but it’s got like 130k original miles.

OEMBent

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Newer doesn’t = better necessarily. They’re all old now and it’s 90% how good of condition it’s in and 10% what year.
But a 1987 in good condition is less likely to have rotten wiring than a 1973 in seemingly as good of condition.
Are you saying you’d have to have emissions in tact?
Thought that was only a Cali thing.[/QUOTE]

I don't care about exhaust or an engine for that matter but yes I did think I could buy a rust free truck that at least ran for around $5K. I guess I'm out of step of what old stuff is worth. As an old car hot rodder, I watched Barrett-Jackson drive the prices of those cars to the stratosphere. I thought an old truck wouldn't have the market those cars have/had.

I was thinking I could find a unmolested truck for that kind of money. Paint bad? Fine. Interior worn? Fine. Engine tired? Fine. Tires and brakes shot? Fine. Rust perforations? Not fine. But I would like it to be mostly intact.

Where I live I don't have to have emissions intact though I may have to find the right shop to fabricate my exhaust if there is not cat present. It's been awhile since I have done anything like that.

Good point on the newer possibly having better peripherals than older.

OEMBent

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
$6600 for this one. Still for sale as of today. Thought it would be gone already honestly.
1 rust hole in passenger fender. All original 350/4.10/4speed/AC truck with original big hub Dana 44 front.
Wife is lucky I’m almost to busy to even take a relaxing **** or it would be at my house already. Buddy would have sold it to me for $500 more than he paid for it!
This is really what I wanted when I go the ‘86....
You could buy it tonight.
I drove it. Has a leaky back brake, needs exhaust and essentially hasn’t been run in 15+ years until last week.
Steering and drivetrain is tight!
And aside from the top of the tailgate, the bigges t dent in the whole truck is that ding on the fender. Including the inside of the bed!!
Pretty much don’t get better for a 45 year old vehicle for cheap.
It’s on Seattle Craigslist and I can vouch for the owner although he’s only owned it a couple weeks. And the engine doesn’t even make so much as a tick. Sounds like a new car. Was 2nd owner. Bought new in Detroit, and drove to Colorado. 4 years in Colorado and bought by last owner and been in Seattle ever since. That guy had it since about 1981 ish and it broke the alternator belt in about 2005 and parked under a lean to since.

You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah, this would be a possibility if it was a 1/2 ton. I just need to think about expanding what I am good with. If you say that my current desire excludes 90% of the trucks out there, then if I want something I can see I need to loosen up.

But I would really consider this one. Replacing a rusty fender is not a big deal. I am not sure if I want to learn how to weld and then start welding cab corners, cab mounts, floorboards, rockers, etc.. Though I do like to learn new things!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks like it has some serious potential!
Btw, my 90% statement was a wag based on browsing adds and what I see on the road, both regularly.
There are comparatively a lot of sub $5k trucks similar to what you just posted, around here.
But again, a “good” truck is more subjective when they’re all old and all need x number of things to be what you want them to be in the end.
Like good engine and trans may be of no value if one is swapping to a new engine.
Or “pretty nice” interior doesn’t have value to someone who wants a “new” interior. But may have value to someone who isn’t fixated on restoring that part.

When analyzing an old vehicle, you absolutely have to look at each one separate and try to put together a quick list of everything that needs to be done in your opinion to make it what you want.
Example, I paid a couple grand more than I had hoped for the blue truck, BUT there was easily far less items that need work or replacement than an equally “clean” truck from a rust/bodywork perspective than most trucks that were in my original budget.
Those items included
Already lifted
All new brake parts on all 4 wheels.
All accessories working with some new hardware like window/door switches, wiper stalk etc.
Door panels not needed.
No instrument cluster issues.
No tank valve issues
Already has a big block and it’s clean.
Windows, bumpers, handles etc all in perfect shape.
The list goes on. But you get the jist
I could have found a running truck with a clean body for less money but would have had far more hours and dollars to get it to where this one was before I did a single thing to it.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yeah, this would be a possibility if it was a 1/2 ton. I just need to think about expanding what I am good with. If you say that my current desire excludes 90% of the trucks out there, then if I want something I can see I need to loosen up.

But I would really consider this one. Replacing a rusty fender is not a big deal. I am not sure if I want to learn how to weld and then start welding cab corners, cab mounts, floorboards, rockers, etc.. Though I do like to learn new things!
For all, this gem is still available but very likely going to someone in New York who restores trucks. Check might already be in the mail. Apparently it’s a deal so much that someone who knows these will spend the money to ship it 3000 miles.
Buddy said he’s had about a half dozen tire kickers so far that have complained because they thought the paint would be “better” or complained about exhaust rusted out or similarly petty things....
Really?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota