Windsheild Frame Rusted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
These holes aren't visible with the gasket installed, but they do allow rainwater to weep into the cab. Has anyone performed this type of repair? From what I could see the holes are in the straight spots just inboard of the lower driver and passenger curves, not on the corners. I suppose at the least I need to re-remove the windsheild, cut out the rust, and weld new metal in. I went to the local yards with a sawzall hoping to find a solid frame but I only found 2 and both were way worse off than what I have. Questions:
Has anyone done this repair with sheet metal where you bend and shape new metal and tack weld it in?
As a beginner it seems like my best route is to weld in a GM frame from a salvaged truck or suburban. Does anyone have a solid windsheild frame they are willing to chop up and ship?

sirweesarunch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is some around the window rust repair. Mine was at upper corners. Post fotos of your damage so I can see how extensive it is. The lower are is very sensitive to welding due to all the inner dashboard wiring etc etc. not to mention the insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I can't send photos because the glass shop re-installed the windsheild so I could drive home. I'll need to take it back out to clean off all the goop and start the repair, but I want to have repair materials ready first so the truck isn't out of operation too long.

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
I have done small repairs to the lower corner areas patching smaller pieces in vice trying to form one larger section. Your idea to acquire a replacement section is a good one.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
FWIW, If the rust is not in the corners I'm thinking a straight section out of any place on the frame will work, you don't need to have the exact area where your damage is.

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I agree, and the harder it becomes to find a gm frame the more I'm willing to try my hand at bending up some sheetmetal with a hammer, vice, and anvil IF all the rust is in straight sections of the frame. I think it is, but I won't know for sure until I re-remove the windsheild and scrub out all the tar goop with a wire wheel.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
What a crappy glass shop. They just gooped the window in over the rust wtf. They should have called you and gave you a chance to deal with it first.
At the very least, wire wheel the rust off and hit it with converter. AT THE LEAST.

sirweesarunch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
The challenge in this area is keeping all dimensions exact. You dont want a problem installing the glass back in . You’d be surprised how little deviation it takes to have an issue. I was worried about my repairs and was surprised to only an 1/8” inch leeway between weatherstrip and glass.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I don’t know how it will turn out but hopefully I can tell you soon if I ever get a chance to finish up my cab.
Probably similar damage.
I got a couple chunks of windshield frame off a junker truck. Mine is only the outer layer, thankfully.
I’ve drilled out the spot welds, and took the skin piece of the junk pieces and will cut out and weld in the smallest practical chunks I can.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just did this repair on my k10. Easiest way to do it is find a donor cab and drill all the spot welds and cut the panel out and weld it into your cab. It’s tedious work but it’s the only way to fix it correctly. White cab is what was left of my donor I cut out the entire front cowl and welded it into my blue cab. I was hoping to just patch the small hole cut out but ended up doing the whole thing.

Jeff Lewis

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
If all the holes are under the rubber, coat with rust encapsulator, fill holes with JB or fiberglass, shape, be done with it. Not the glass shop fault. Learn how to intall the glass and seal yourself, not that hard. How old are you, what is you life expectancy? Is it really worth welding something in?

curbstone mech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
allen
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
If all the holes are under the rubber, coat with rust encapsulator, fill holes with JB or fiberglass, shape, be done with it. Not the glass shop fault. Learn how to intall the glass and seal yourself, not that hard. How old are you, what is you life expectancy? Is it really worth welding something in?
Tomorrow is promised to no one

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Your idea is a fantastic one. I'm not a spring chicken, but I hope to last another 30 years.
I don't blame the glass shop. I was there and saw the holes and asked the shop to reinstall the old gasket and locking strip. No new tar goop was applied. My thinking was, "Crap, I gotta get home and fix this."
The real kicker is, I just finished replacing the firewall due to rust. I didn't think the windsheild frame was rusty, and certainly would have welded in fresh metal from the same donor truck I had. I junked it and now I have to find another frame!
I think I will remove the glass and wire wheel what I have to see if I can just treat it and fill it. I vaguely recall rust swelling between the seam of the frame and dash. If there's too much swelling I may have to find a frame and replace the worst sections and use the rust treatment and epoxy method for the stuff that isn't too swollen and bubbly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes