Will this combo cause any clearance/rubbing issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harryk387

Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Bonanza
Engine Size
I thought I had settled on a wheel/tire combo until some late night searching around these forums turned up that 275/60/15 on a 15x8 wheel would cause issues with drop spindles up front and lower control arm rubbing. I really wanted to go with the 275/60/15 setup on all 4 corners, but not if it's going to cause rubbing issues. I'm only planning on lowering my truck maximum 3" up front and 5" in the rear. Couple of questions about this.

a. Is the rubbing on the lower control arm because of the wheel diameter of 15"? Would going to a 16" wheel eliminate any rubbing issues?
b. If I kept the 15x8 wheel, would changing the backspace eliminate any issues?

Thanks for the help

Merlin3e9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.7L
I have 275/60-15 on all 4 corners witb 2 1/2" drop spindles up front and 4" lowered leaf springs on the rear.

No rubbing but I have aftermarket tubular lower control arms. Not sure about rubbing if I had stock lower control arms.

The lower control arms are very close to the inner lip of my stock rally 15x8 wheels. Had to use sticky weights on the inner wheel versus hammer on style. From what I've read, it's the backspacing on the rally wheels that causes the rubbing. A larger wheel should help, or something with less backspacing.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
From everything I've learned, it's the rim that rubs the stock lower arm and it needs attacked with a grinder to gain clearance.

harryk387

Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Bonanza
Engine Size
That’s what I found in my searching too. I came across a post somewhere where the guy remove some material off the lower control arm where it was rubbing and said that it must have weakened the control arm because it broke one day while he was driving the car. I definitely don’t want to risk that.
Do you guys think going with 16”x8” wheels will eliminate any rubbing issues? If so, what would be the 275/60/15 equivalent for a 16” wheel?

From everything I've learned, it's the rim that rubs the stock lower arm and it needs attacked with a grinder to gain clearance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TJinAZ