will a 2wd tranny work on a 4wd truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82_black_k10

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
will the 2wd tranny work on a 4 wheel drive and what would i need to do to make it work

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You would have to take the tail housing off, and replace the tail shaft with the shorter tail shaft for the 4WD trucks, keeping in mind the spline count for the coupler sleeve between the trans and t-case.

82_black_k10

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
alright thanks what all off of a 2wd will work on a 4wd

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
All of it will work with excpetion of you will NOT use a tailshaft housing, and you must swap the output shaft from the 2wd shaft length, to the 4wd shaft length. Your Tcase adapter then bolts to the trans in place of the tailshaft housing.

82_black_k10

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
ok so it fairly simple to make it work

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If the 4WD parts you have aren't from a 4WD with auto trans you'll run into some problems. The adapter/mount part, if it came from a standard wont bolt to an auto. The spline count on the sleeve will be different too, coarse on the standard, fine on the auto. Lastly the t-case, depends on year. If it was with a standard it probably wont have a seal between the trans/tcase. But if it came with an auto it "may" have a seal between the trans/tcase to keep trans fluid out.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm a pretty smart guy. By your name, I am going to take a guess that you currenlty have an 82 Black K10 Chevy Truck. And being that your asking about the 2wd transmission question you ask, your transmission in your truck had gone out??? I should have been a physcic. I'd be rich !!!

I'll also assume you have a Th350 transmission in your truck now, and you have a 2wd transmission available to use for your truck? You could take the guts out of the woking 2wd trans and put them in your 4wd trans case and rock with it if you wanted to. Not sure about the Th350, but in the 700r4 the K 4x4 case is a bit stronger than the 2wd case. Not enough to highly impress me, so if I had to, I'd have no problem using a 2wd case in a 4wd. Usually the difference is a little more meat at the bell housing bolt bosses, and maybe 2 extra bolts holes to bolt the converter cover on the trans. This is because support rods bolt to the converter cover, so its got more bolts to the trans case is all.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
ok so it fairly simple to make it work

I could do it in my sleep, but I've built a transmsiion or 2, or hundreds. If you are fairly mechanical, its not real hard to do. You'll need new front pump gaskets, vavle body gaskets and a new pan gasket.

82_black_k10

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
i got a manuel trans in my truck right now and it pops out of second gear but were getting ready to scrap are 78 thats a manuel to since we bout another truck to beat around on the farm with so i figured id swap them if it wouldnt take to long

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
WOOOOPS !!! Ok back up !!! Manual trans??? Now where talking about a different situation all together. So maybe I don't make a good physcic after all. You might want to be a bit more speciific when asking these things. So you have bad 2nd gear sychros. Actaully, I thnk it would be just as easy to put new synchros in your trans as you would to swap shafts. JMO of course. You might wait for some other responses to get some other opinions.
I wish I was closer. I'd sure like to have the clutch and brake pedal linkage out of that truck. I've wanted to convert one of mine to manual trans but gave up on it due to cming up with all the parts.

82_black_k10

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
ok i wont mess with it then thought if it wouldnt require to much work id just switch em instead of messin with the old tranny since the 78 tranny was rebuilt not to long ago but if it easier to just do the synchro ill just do that

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
C4 will know more about the SM465 conversion, wait for him to chime in on that issue. It would be nice if it was as easy as removing the yoke and bolting on the adapter in its place but I have a feeling its not that easy and still requires the output shaft swap. If so, then yeah. Point is, while you were there swapping the shaft you could install synchros, so its a moot issue.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If the 4WD parts you have aren't from a 4WD with auto trans you'll run into some problems. The adapter/mount part, if it came from a standard wont bolt to an auto. The spline count on the sleeve will be different too, coarse on the standard, fine on the auto. Lastly the t-case, depends on year. If it was with a standard it probably wont have a seal between the trans/tcase. But if it came with an auto it "may" have a seal between the trans/tcase to keep trans fluid out.

C4 will know more about the SM465 conversion, wait for him to chime in on that issue. It would be nice if it was as easy as removing the yoke and bolting on the adapter in its place but I have a feeling its not that easy and still requires the output shaft swap. If so, then yeah. Point is, while you were there swapping the shaft you could install synchros, so its a moot issue.

:deal:

I have an exploded view around here of the SM465 from the dealership but honestly it's probably nothing you couldn't find online, with better pics, descriptions, special considerations, etc. Youtube usually has a host of videos about things like this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx