whooshing sound from under the dash when I press on the brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
I am getting a whooshing sound from under the dash when I step on the brakes, it goes away after i pump the peddle a few times. Any ideas?? 1987 GMC V2500.All the brakes are new with zero miles on them,new calipers and rear wheel cylinders as well as new master cylinder!

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
There should be a foam filter in the vacuum booster around the brake pedal rod where it mates to the firewall. I think you should be able to see it with a flashlight from under the dash. If it’s missing that can happen. The one in my factory booster looked like rotten seat cushion foam which crumbled and disintegrated when I removed it.

Did you replace the booster? I’ve read a bunch of customer reviews on refurbished boosters missing the plastic boot that seals to the firewall. I could see them forgetting that part too.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
There should be a foam filter in the vacuum booster around the brake pedal rod where it mates to the firewall. I think you should be able to see it with a flashlight from under the dash. If it’s missing that can happen. The one in my factory booster looked like rotten seat cushion foam which crumbled and disintegrated when I removed it.

Did you replace the booster? I’ve read a bunch of customer reviews on refurbished boosters missing the plastic boot that seals to the firewall. I could see them forgetting that part too.
thanks! the booster is original I think! why would the noise go away after a few pumps on the pedal ??

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
The seal gets exercised and starts to work?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Another possibility is there is a valve under the dash near the brake pedal if you have cruise control. This hose hose hooks up to the cruise control pod (between the TBI and power brake booster here) and runs through the firewall to the cruise cut off switch.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
Another possibility is there is a valve under the dash near the brake pedal if you have cruise control. This hose hose hooks up to the cruise control pod (between the TBI and power brake booster here) and runs through the firewall to the cruise cut off switch.

You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks!! I bet that is it, cause I was knee deep under the dash last year,never noticed anything

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
Thanks!! I bet that is it, cause I was knee deep under the dash last year,never noticed anything
Thanks for the picture, mine has 2 vac lines 1 big and 1 small which goes to the vac ball and the big one goes inside the cab. My cruise is disconnected so no worries on it working but just want the brakes to be good.I did hit the brake pedal hard a few times thinking of the proportioning valve,now the pedal seems much firmer and no more whooshing noise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54