Which is the Correct Windshield Wiper Switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Hi all, 1980 GMC K15. Pretty sure the wipers are running all the time because of a bad windshield wiper dashboard switch. That's because when I hold the switch in just the right spot (near the off position) they turn off. So I ordered the switch on the right in this picture from Classic Parts, Inc. It is their part # 67-656A "(1978-83) Windshield Wiper Switch - without Pulse".

You must be registered for see images attach

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
But when I looked at the back of the new switch (waited over 2 weeks for delivery up here in Canada) I saw that a plug in lead is missing! Here's a picture of the back:

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Sorry, should've said the new one is on the right. I can plug in one part of the harness on the plug in lead at the bottom (next picture) but there's no plug in lead on the switch for the other part of the harness (like there is in the picture above on the left switch, half-way up).

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
This shows the plug in lead at the bottom. Both switches are the same.

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
The only other switch from Classic Parts, Inc. for my truck is their part # 67-656B "(1978-83) Windshield Wiper Switch". (The only difference is that the one I got says "without Pulse", which is part # 67-656A). And LMC Truck only has one switch (for trucks like mine without cruise control, part # 36-0669). So, does anyone know if my original switch is for a "with Pulse" system? I don't even really know what that is, and wouldn't care if I didn't have to replace my switch... Or do I not need that plug in lead in the middle? Thanks!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The only other switch from Classic Parts, Inc. for my truck is their part # 67-656B "(1978-83) Windshield Wiper Switch". (The only difference is that the one I got says "without Pulse", which is part # 67-656A). And LMC Truck only has one switch (for trucks like mine without cruise control, part # 36-0669). So, does anyone know if my original switch is for a "with Pulse" system? I don't even really know what that is, and wouldn't care if I didn't have to replace my switch... Or do I not need that plug in lead in the middle? Thanks!

Pulse is intermittent as in delay wipers and / or mist.

If you can get any numbers off of the old switch post them and I'll look it up in my references and see what it is. Someone more knowledgeable with these wiper switches maybe able to tell based on the pictures, I can't but know I can look it up.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Got a better picture of the face of your old switch? Does your truck actually have wiring that plugs into the smaller connector?

It almost looks like someone put a standard switch knob on a pulse-type wiper switch.

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Hi SirRobyn0, thanks for the help. Sorry, I can't see any numbers anywhere on the old switch. There are numbers on the new switch so I illustrated that in the picture below.

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Hi bucket, here's a better picture of the face of my old switch. Yes, my truck has wiring that plugs into the smaller connector.

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
This is the switch on my ‘80 K25. Luckily I still have my dash apart as I’m finishing up the wiring project. Looks like the same leads, just in a different spot on the switch.

Last edited:

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Thanks a lot, dsteelejr! That really helps. Yes, looks like the same leads as my main set of leads. It suggests that my system is a pulse-type wiper switch. I'll do some more digging.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Id honestly try, (if its not a restore project) look it up on rock auto. Ive had good luck with them for parts. They also have a description and bunch of pics of the part.

Mark80K15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Thanks 78C10BigTen for the tip on Rock Auto. I'll have a look.

I just realized something (duh!!!) Even though I have the square standard switch knob on the wiper switch, if in fact I have the pulse-type wiper switch, then the stem that the knob is pressed on should rotate, no?

YES! It does rotate. I would have never tried rotating it if bucket didn't suggest that maybe someone put a standard switch knob on a pulse-type wiper switch.

So, can anyone confirm that if the knob and stem rotates, that it is a pulse-type wiper switch?

Now half of North America is going to go and try rotating their wiper switch ha ha. The other half are Democrats.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Thanks 78C10BigTen for the tip on Rock Auto. I'll have a look.

I just realized something (duh!!!) Even though I have the square standard switch knob on the wiper switch, if in fact I have the pulse-type wiper switch, then the stem that the knob is pressed on should rotate, no?

YES! It does rotate. I would have never tried rotating it if bucket didn't suggest that maybe someone put a standard switch knob on a pulse-type wiper switch.

So, can anyone confirm that if the knob and stem rotates, that it is a pulse-type wiper switch?

Now half of North America is going to go and try rotating their wiper switch ha ha. The other half are Democrats.
Im not gunna go rotate my switch lol i know 100% mine are pulse wipers lol

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
If the stem is round and is turning when you turn the knob, yes it's pulse.
If the stem is flat, it's not pulse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD