Which headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ProStreet83C10

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey guys, im looking to buy a set of Hooker Comp. headers for my lowered square, however, i have very little wiggle room for clearance issues on the bottom side, and id like to still run a full length long tube header, so my question is, which set of headers do i need to sit level with the frame and not cause a major issue with the trans crossmember. Heres what ive been told will work, however the primary tube length on these is 3" longer than the 2WD truck headers, but maybe their not as tall? The car headers also have a 3" collecter vs the trucks 2.5" collector.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker-Headers/520/2451/10002/-1?parentProductId=

Heres the same in a truck header

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker-Headers/520/2452/10002/-1?parentProductId=2470517

Any other suggestions that fit better on a lowered truck is VERY appreciated. Truck is mere inches from the ground!

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The summit brand truck headers fit well, and they are like $100.

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
to bad doug Thorley isn't around. oh wait I just did a search and they showed up. http://www.dougthorleyheaders.com/ . now I had heard they went out of business, so I am not sure about these new ones. but back when I got mine they where the best damn header out there, bar none, not even close. the set I have now has been in three different trucks and are over 20 years old and going strong. never had a leak. highdesertranger

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
to bad doug Thorley isn't around. oh wait I just did a search and they showed up. http://www.dougthorleyheaders.com/ . now I had heard they went out of business, so I am not sure about these new ones. but back when I got mine they where the best damn header out there, bar none, not even close. the set I have now has been in three different trucks and are over 20 years old and going strong. never had a leak. highdesertranger

Those would be sweet if they didn't cost $700 lol

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
wow I didn't look at the prices. when I bought mine they where $240.00. highdesertranger

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
When it come's to exhaust you want it to be trouble free for years , so you get what you pay for . I would never run cheap headers.

On all my square's I run thorley's and they are the **** , bolt them on and never look back.On my blazer I wanted to try and save a little so I went with the heddman elite's and they are a nice thick header , we will see how they hold up but they are nice , (not really cheap though but cheaper than thorley's).

Thorley's and the elite's have a 3/8 inch flange and 14 gauge tubes , (beefy) , all your cheap header's have 1/4 or 5/16 inch flanges and 18 gauge tubes , (some 16 gauge) , way thinner material.

Bottom line , you get what you pay for.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
ok, no input on the hookers then? not many guys run em or what

I had Hookers on my C10 a while back, I think they hung below the frame. Then it had Flowtecs on it, IIRC they were up closer to the frame. Hedman has a couple different versions of their headers and one of them tuck up high, but I've only run them on 4x4's.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ideally for a TRUCK some stainless shorty headers would be the ticket or else the stainless tri Y Thorley headers. Money issues aside!

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I know this is an old post, but just wanted to say the Doug Thorley Headers website doesn't even list headers for my 82 Chevy pickup. However, Doug's Headers has multiple models just for small blocks. I think Doug's Headers quality is far and away superior to most other headers, including Doug Thorley headers. Confused yet?

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I used to buy my Doug Thorley headers from the R&D guys in Orange CA. here's what they told me. Doug and his wife went through a divorce(won't go into details), the wife got the company "Doug Thorley Headers". Doug started a new company "Doug's Headers". the original Doug Thorley Headers went the cheap way, while Doug's Headers are still the same high quality headers. highdesertranger

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Ah yes...isn't that always the case with a divorce...damn bitches get everything. At least he is making a comeback using his name.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have seen the late 60s/early 70s Chevelle and Camaro headers fit pickups, but I certainly would assume long tube car headers would fit.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have seen the late 60s/early 70s Chevelle and Camaro headers fit pickups, but I certainly would assume long tube car headers would fit.
Meant to say "...I certainly WOULD NOT assume..."

But for some crazy reason, this site does not allow editing of posts after xx minutes. Moderators: Why is that?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CodyHansen