Where can I get this connector?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Steering column being rebuilt with new parts but if we need this connector, where would I buy one? Lots of cut and sliced wires under here!

Thanks

Randy and E

Attachments

• 11F9A738-5F55-43DC-ADFA-06DA4053A48F.jpeg
    11F9A738-5F55-43DC-ADFA-06DA4053A48F.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 93

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Often times when I need a connector/plug I order it thru an auto parts store if I can find it.

Oreillys namely

It'll be standard ignition brand, or ac Delco

mtbadbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
You can also try to find that section of the harness out of a bone yard or donor truck. That's what I try to do to keep things original & simple. Sometimes they are just short harnesses that might plug into the main harness nearby.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Sometimes learning to "de-pin" connectors can be easier than replacing the whole thing. There is a way to release the individual pins in the connector so you can replace one (or more) of the cut/spliced wires and the pin, without replacing the whole connector. Wiring depot . com should have the pins and wire to restore what you have.

If you are going to restore the wiring on your truck and you are shooting for dependability, I can not stress how important it is to have the right tool. If you have the tool on the left, throw the POS away. It will only create more electrical issues for you. To properly crimp connectors on, to make a good solid connection and not be lose or fall off, you need the tool with the pin to properly install the connectors. The tool on the left just squashes the connector and is not secure, the tool on the right has the pin (where the pen is pointed) that will crimp the connector on (if proper size connectors for wire are used) so you can NOT pull them off.

Attachments

• Crimp tool junk.jpg
    Crimp tool junk.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20220113_124710.jpg
    20220113_124710.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 58

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Awesome info and pic!tahnk you so much

Randy and E
Your welcome. I started out with the tool on the left and for years thought solder-less crimp on connectors just sucked. Then I found the correct tool and figured out that you absolutely have to match the wire size with the same size connectors to get a proper long term reliable connection. The connectors with the little colored plastic sleeves just make them harder for the DIY to successfully use them, and they look like crap if you have to use more than one of them. Heat shrink looks and works so much better and is slimmer when connecting several wires to a ground location. You can also color code + and - with red and black shrink wrap on the connectors.

The best advice I can give someone with limited wiring experience is to take a piece of wire and a few connectors and sit somewhere comfortable and practice stripping the end of the wire and crimping on connectors, then see if you can pull them off with just your hands. It should take 5 to 10 connectors before you get the technique down and can not pull the connectors off without damaging the wire and your fingers. Practice with the shrink wrap until you are comfortable and not burning the wire insulation and shrink wrap.

Once you get good at stripping, crimping connectors and shrink wrap, then take your newly aquired skills out to the truck and add some creative contorsion moves and you will have hours of fun restoring your wiring, and evenings of aches and pains in fun new areas. LOL

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Often times when I need a connector/plug I order it thru an auto parts store if I can find it.

Oreillys namely

It'll be standard ignition brand, or ac Delco
I agree Oreillys can be a great source for connectors, at least in my area they are one of the few retail parts stores that is able to readily get ACDelco stuff.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

Steering column being rebuilt with new parts but if we need this connector, where would I buy one? Lots of cut and sliced wires under here!

Thanks

Randy and E

no idea if that is same one, its a 77 gmc manual trans no cruise column

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I know all the connectors for the column are semi-common as many use GM columns for street rods. But any of those inside ones that aren't baked and oiled under the hood usually are in decent shape used.

If you cant find one, holler and I'll check what I have. I have a new harness kit with GM column connectors, as well as a completely new/refurb'd column with the other end of the plugs, so should have my originals.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Thanks y’all. I hope to get column back in a few days so we will see what we have to work with.

Attachments

• 578B452C-9834-43B2-B4BD-E4F121303017.jpeg
    578B452C-9834-43B2-B4BD-E4F121303017.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 63

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
American Autowire, Painless, and some of the other electrical suppliers carry that. I know if you buy it from American Autowire, they include both male/female terminals.

Do yourself a favor and buy the correct electrical terminal removal picks. They are about 10 bucks on Amazon. Getting the male terminals out isn’t hard, the female are a pain in the ass (aren’t most females? ). You need to lift the locking flap (GM calls it a TPA, Terminal Position Assurance). Then carefully press the lock tab. I’d strongly suggest buying a few extra terminals, and practicing on the old ones if you have them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD