when did black wheels become so popular

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On the right truck I think black wheels look really nice, like on white or lighter gray color vehicles. But most of the time I don't care for them either. And unless you are running BIG tires, I don't care for 20+ in. wheels either. 35's on 20's doesn't cut it for me.

I also hate the "squatting" trucks. Ya know, the rear lower than the front. Looks like your truck is trying to take a dump. Keep them level or a couple inches of rake.

That white crew that was posted is hideous to me. Terrible wheel/tire combo and the thumb up your own @$$ stance ruins it in my opinion.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I've always liked black, flat black, road warrior looking trucks and cars. That's just me.

I want a rat rod too.

I find once you get shiny paint and chrome, it just adds too much to the headache of cleaning the thing, and for me, cleaning is not something I do much..

As for rhino lining the whole truck. I want to do that, because I want to never worry about rust again! If I could encapsulate the whole body with an impenetrable barrier, I would.. Just dip it in tar or something.. Perhaps if DOT would quit throwing salt down every time flurries fall, it might help too..

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
On the right truck I think black wheels look really nice, like on white or lighter gray color vehicles. But most of the time I don't care for them either. And unless you are running BIG tires, I don't care for 20+ in. wheels either. 35's on 20's doesn't cut it for me.

I also hate the "squatting" trucks. Ya know, the rear lower than the front. Looks like your truck is trying to take a dump. Keep them level or a couple inches of rake.

That white crew that was posted is hideous to me. Terrible wheel/tire combo and the thumb up your own @$$ stance ruins it in my opinion.

I'd agree. "Squatting" (or "cali-lean") look hideous no matter what you do with the rest of the truck :yucky: I think 20+ inch rims look fine or newer trucks (depending on the wheel and overall look) but not on older cars/trucks.

83K5guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I'm with the OP on this one. I'm not sure when the "style" actually started but F-ing hate it!!! It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for anyone and everyone now breaking out their rattle cans and painting every single thing (including their OEM wheels) black and then thinking they're ride is suddenly cool cuz of it's "black rims". I need to spend less time on FSC I think :banghead:

:lol:

Including their taillights so dark you can't see if its on or not.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Including their taillights so dark you can't see if its on or not.

no kidding. I'm ok with a very light smoke over the tails but some of that is downright dangerous.

BIRDMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think black wheels look great on grey and black trucks, in fact I have black XD Addicts on my truck. I think the "murdered out" look hit the streets and lots of stylish black wheels came out...eventually everyone started buying them :)

Sent from my right thumb using Tapatalk.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
...and I'm not big on that "murdered out" look either :shrug: I needs color and contrast

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Blackdog3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins
All the newer black wheels look dumb. I have a set of black american racing wheels on my 82 and they look alright. When i faced the BFG white letting out it looked alot better. But i am more an old school kinda guy, i hate big rims and blingy ones. Give me some slots or mags and call it a day!

Brandon_l1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205
i hate black wheels

i am looking for some wheels for my crew cab but most wheels now are ******* black or mostly black

i went to a local tire shop and all the had on display was black wheels that are really ugly

i like chrome or polished wheels is that so hard
amen every time i see a car or truck with black rims a little part of me dies i swear it looks like s***

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
it comes down to personal taste just cause i say black wheels are ugly does not mean i think anyones truck is ugly.

if you love them so be it its your truck and you built it to your taste not mine.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Mine look like ****?

You're truck would be an exception anyway because it's a CUCV. It would look fugged up any other color but black or olive drab wheels.

Last edited:

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
Haters gunna hate