Wheel choices for 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I agree with everyone else. Dont put 8 lug wheels on a 6 lug truck. If you really want 8 luggers, you could swap axles for something bigger. Then you could run them no prob.

My personal favorites for a 6 bolt square are stock rally rims with a nice trim ring. Second favorite are plain 15x8 steel wheels in flat black. White spoke wagon wheels are tied for second. They look good in black too. As far as after market wheels, classic 80s turbine mags or slot mags look great.
I have a cool looking chrome steel wheels with holes in them on my blazer that came with it.
4x4 GMT400 wheels won't fit on a square becuse of the hub size, but squarebody wheels will fit a 90s Chevy.
Old Toyota 6 luggers will fit, Nissan wheels will also work. Had a set of Nissan steel spoked wheels on one of my trucks.

In my opinion though, no matter what rims you get, they've gotta be 15in.
I don't really like any thing bigger than 15s on a square.
A buddy of mine wanted to put 18in god awfuly ugly rims on his, I wanted to slap him.
You must be registered for see images attach

Those are all my wheels except the first pic. All my favorites

I had a set of those Widetrack Baja MT's once, they are still some of the best tires I ever had. Too bad they went out of production.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I had a set of those Widetrack Baja MT's once, they are still some of the best tires I ever had. Too bad they went out of production.

Yeah, those tires are great.
The guy I bought them from, put them on his blazer new. Then when he parked the blazer out in the field, he took the nearly brand new tires, and put them in the back of his shipping container. That was back in 1998. When I bought the truck from him, he said "the tires for it are in the container". I pulled them out, they're still brand new, still holding air. I'm running them on it right now, haven't had a problem yet.
Good decision on his part, it saved them.

The tires are worth more than the whole truck, haha.

Holl

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
...this raises a question I've had. I have a 6 lug 16" factory steel wheel that fits over the front hub on my 4x4 suburban...Ive never been able to find 3 others. Id like to use factory hubcaps for this type of look.
there are plenty of 15" wheels, or 8 lug wheels but I've never found 16" 6 lugs...

what did they come on? I like this look.....

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Dont think you’ll find any OEM wheeels like you’re looking for, but Wheel Vintiques and possibly a couple other mfgs have what you’re looking for pretty sure.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
...this raises a question I've had. I have a 6 lug 16" factory steel wheel that fits over the front hub on my 4x4 suburban...Ive never been able to find 3 others. Id like to use factory hubcaps for this type of look.
there are plenty of 15" wheels, or 8 lug wheels but I've never found 16" 6 lugs...

I found Red Barn Customs that has 16" barrels and custom makes wheels. Maybe that's an option if you want to use a OEM style center. IIRC the 15" and 16" centers are similar, but the 16" has an extra step in the hoop to meet the center.

https://www.redbarncustoms.net/custom-built-rims-and-custom-built-wheels-1.html

https://www.redbarncustoms.net/16-diameter-empty-rim-shell.html

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Depends on how wide you want them to be. If narrow is OK, there were 6-lug 16" steelies used on trucks in the late 50's and early 60's.

Muddybuddy

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size

are there 17” steel wheels that these hub caps will work on? Would love to do this if I could make it work on 17’s.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
15's wont clear the bigger 3/4 ton brakes. My 16" aftermarket ones barely clear the 13" rear drum and I'm pretty sure that's only because they have the bigger offset to fit flush with the truck side. 16" tires are getting harder to find in A/T tires though too, so it is often cheaper and easier to get a 17-18" rim/tire than it is to get just a 16" tire by itself. I honestly think a 17-18" wheel is fine if you are using 33" or larger A/T or M/T tires. Anything smaller than that needs to have a 15-16".

They do clear the rear drums with the correct offset, and to clear the front calipers you need to grind about 1/2" deep from the center cast line to the outside. Wheelers do it all the time and it doesn't hurt the caliper at all. No idea why GM made them so thick.

OP: Granted I have 8 lug but when I was searching for tires it was hard to find a nice 16" so I went with 17's. I've heard 17's are the new 15's and there are a lot more tire choices for them. Picking rim size also depends on what you want to do with the truck. Mine is a daily so the 17's handle a little better. If it was a wheeler I would have gone with 15's for more sidewall. I love the revolver style wheels.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
They do clear the rear drums with the correct offset, and to clear the front calipers you need to grind about 1/2" deep from the center cast line to the outside. Wheelers do it all the time and it doesn't hurt the caliper at all. No idea why GM made them so thick.

OP: Granted I have 8 lug but when I was searching for tires it was hard to find a nice 16" so I went with 17's. I've heard 17's are the new 15's and there are a lot more tire choices for them. Picking rim size also depends on what you want to do with the truck. Mine is a daily so the 17's handle a little better. If it was a wheeler I would have gone with 15's for more sidewall. I love the revolver style wheels.

I went the 17" route too on my k5, have the original 15" aluminum ones.
My k10 has the 15x8 rally and so does my R10 but in 5 lug of course.

For tires I went with new Mickey Thompson Baja boss AT. More aggressive than the BFG AT but not as much as a true MT tire.

cstew47

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
Always aluminum slots!!!
But only if they’re polished and clean.. otherwise they look like $h!t
@45tt posted pic looks great !

Last edited:
Reactions: WFO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members