I guess I blew up the hubs.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I don't know?
Bittersweet wheelspin...in dirt. :( She was goin fast!
They won't unlock so now they died?
Am I causing damage to the axle continuing to drive it?
Some **** about shavings?
Is that real?
I don't know what brand they are/were, they WERE ancient. 20+ years? Didn't take me very long at all to kill em!
Wait - all to kill em?

KILL EM ALL! :rockit:

[yt]dyFodXE4Tcs[/yt]

"Power train Products"? Lol? That's what it says!
Lookit the reflection in my chrome wheel. Mmmmhmmm!
Anybody know how to change hubs? I got the socket. It's not tough, takes 20 minutes? NP. I don't gotta use the socket?

Now all I need is new hubs. Thinkin Mile Marker.
Opinions? I can score a pair for 70 bones and that seems good. Stainless steel is good. Lifetime Warranty is good.
Why I don't want those?!
I need stuff that will not break, especially in wheelspin. :D Plus those are GORGEOUS! <3

http://r.ebay.com/RUoaTD

Are those the correct part?

I will not buy Warn. Because I don't want to. Seems trendy.
I found this:
http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/tech/product-review-hub-battle-warn-vs-milemarker-20718.html

I wish I had the ****** P.O. that put them sumbitches on here -and converted my 203- in front of me right now, I'd wring his neck!

Have you heard any of the *** garbage they play on the radio these days and pass as music? This album was junior high soundtrack music for me. :headbang:

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_20170130_050919.jpg
    IMG_20170130_050919.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Those look like old Selectro hubs, other than the name of course. Pretty neat stuff really.

It's hard to tell in the picture, but it looks like you have the old style external locking hubs, held to the wheel hub with bolts. The hubs you found on ebay are for the newer internal style wheel hubs. Those are held on with machine screws.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
^ What he said. Those look like selectros, which are indeed external locking hubs. And they do have a bit of a uniqueness factor to them. Your options are not quite as plentiful when it comes to external locking hubs. But I do believe Warn makes a Premium replacement. I have run Warn Premiums on many axles, and never had a problem. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for, and they are lifetime free replacement if you ever break them. Don't know what kind of "wheelspin" wheeling you're doing, but if you need unbreakable, then you need to get drive flanges, not locking hubs.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Selectros! Awesome retro-cool, I love it! Reminds me of the Beatsie Boys?
R.I.P.M.C.A.

[yt]GDS83yrM30Y[/yt]
That sound like it's SELECTRO...

Bummer there's 100+ views and two replies. Wtf? Lames. No reps for you!
Thank you for the two replies, men. Most helpful! Reps given, you earned em! :)

Obviously I need more research time, since I picked out the wrong hubs! :( Plus it sounds like I need to know about drive flanges? I promise this truck's future involves smokin all four tires...that type of wheelspin. ;)
These caps appear to be RIVETED and J-B weld? Fun.

I was thinkin bout it though and I reckoned they are likely seized up or somethin since they PROBABLY require some sort of maintenance. :D I keep reading warnings about using TOO MUCH grease, so reckon they need some lovin before I beat em to death.
I try to unlock them every time I get out of it, since last Friday. No dice. Maybe they got hot? I don't know?

I'm working on base (15 miles down the highway) and they unlocked when I tried today.

Wow, cool.
Wait. If they're gonna **** around, it wouldn't be bad if the driver side ONLY was locked. So be it. Better lock that one back!

Reckon I'll take em apart and grease em, it may be their first time! I know it WILL be mine! Yeeeeeeeeee! Why buy new ones?
Dude it"s a '75 K5, unique-ness is what it does. Drop top hot rod smoke show in the making!

Attachments

• IMG_20170131_144808.jpg
    IMG_20170131_144808.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
That pic is much more clear than the previous pic you posted. BUTTTT it looks to me like you may have a bastardized set of locking hubs on there. I say that because your wheel hubs do NOT appear to be external style hubs, but the locking hub cap looks like the selectro cap which belongs on an external style locking hub body. This may explain why they are not functioning properly. I may be wrong, but it just looks like something isn't right there. See if you can take one of the caps off and post a picture. That would help us see what's really going on there.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Were Selectros never made for internal hubs? I'm sure I've seen them on the bigger Dana 60's before, but maybe they were all Dodges. I think Dodge had an external type hub at some point.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ya better pics! New phone.

I didn't find SELECTRO s for internal hubs while looking today, but I DID keep coming up with that 104#. I also see that Sears rebranded Selectros at some time, which are Mile Marker hubs! :D They are still sold as new externals.
From my very limited knowledge, I agree, they look "bastardized - like a combo internal and external hub which is cool, because it's easy to turn. They have been working properly for the last 6 months... Makes me want to to custom bastardize some new ones to say SELECTRO. :D
But if it ain't broke, I'm not gonna fix it. Tomorrow I'll try to take one apart maybe but it really does look like JB weld in that back rivet hole you're looking at. *gulp* On both sides! I think it'll be cold tomorrow? It was 74° today!
I can't take it down too far, she's my only daily and we're going back to work Thursday and I have no parts. Savin to get my 416s out the shop.

I have difficulty "babying" things.... like cell phones :( I should be more gentle (with the truck!) Kinda like my SS... I kept building it tougher and tougher until it wouldn't break and got bored with it. Then smashed it.

I like fixin stuff.

Last edited:

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
After some brief googling, it looks like those are internal locking hubs. At first glance they look like selectros (the selector cap is similar) which, best I can tell, were only available as an external locking hubs. I only recently learned about external hubs when I swapped a dodge Dana 60 under my burb. But the hubs on your truck appear to be the internal style. From what I can tell, the selectros have a plastic component inside the cap which actuates the gears inside the hub. That plastic piece is prone to failure. That may be what happened to yours. So you should be good to swap on a set of internal style locking hubs from warn or mile marker or other brands. But I would still pull the cap and verify the axle shaft spline count before ordering new hubs.

kickdeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
454 tbi
Also, my comment about drive flanges was kind of a joke. Drive flanges (sometimes referred to as drive slugs) are a means for engaging your front axle shafts full time. They are not selectable like locking hubs; however, they are generally much stronger due to no moving or serviceable internal parts. They are mostly used on dedicated trail rigs that see little to no street use.

I'm not even 100% positive they make drive flanges for a Dana 44/10 bolt. Typically you would upgrade to a larger axle first before you would need drive flanges. But if you find yourself continuing to blow through locking hubs, I would say throw a Dana 60 under that bad boy!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
GM put drive slugs in them from the factory. All the 70's trucks with the 203 case had them, it's just that most of them still around have been converted to part-time now.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
My K25 is rated for the higher 8200 GVW, and its supposed to have Dana 44 HD to go along with the rear 14 bolt FF. However, I don't know how you tell the difference between a Dana 44 HD and a regular Dana 44.

My truck is also still full-time 4WD and the NP203 has not been converted. The drive slugs in my truck (or whatever they should be called) are the original parts from 1975 and they should still be available from a GM dealer or other parts store.

Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL