Whats you gas mileage on your squarebody truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Drove 220 miles with no cargo. Bought a 700+ lb. piece of equipment to bring back in the bed. Round trip was 11.3 mpg.
Show Off!

drumvirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-30
Engine Size
I don't get the credit.

A local parts store told me where I could find a quadrajet magician/tuner. He was home and said he could check it out. Came out of his garage with a 5 gallon pail half full of quad. gaskets. Put my carb on a homemade jig, opened it up, said, "Somebody put the wrong gasket on here, first off." Found what I needed in the bucket, made some adjustments and it was improved. I stopped by a couple more times and the mileage got better each time.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I don't get the credit.

A local parts store told me where I could find a quadrajet magician/tuner. He was home and said he could check it out. Came out of his garage with a 5 gallon pail half full of quad. gaskets. Put my carb on a homemade jig, opened it up, said, "Somebody put the wrong gasket on here, first off." Found what I needed in the bucket, made some adjustments and it was improved. I stopped by a couple more times and the mileage got better each time.
It's good to have one those guys at your disposal if you need them

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Not partial to explosions outside of the combustion chamber?
No. Also not a fan of Hydrogen embrittlement causing the rapid unscheduled deconstruction of my motor.

drumvirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-30
Engine Size
It's good to have one those guys at your disposal if you need them
Best thing about him is, he generally helps older people who need some mechanic work, or others with some sort of financial problems, and "doesn't let his left hand know what his right hand is doing" if you know what I mean.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Best thing about him is, he generally helps older people who need some mechanic work, or others with some sort of financial problems, and "doesn't let his left hand know what his right hand is doing" if you know what I mean.
You mean like Tax Evasion? Lol

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Attachments

• SI-73-8701_Thomas Paone.jpg
    SI-73-8701_Thomas Paone.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 30

drumvirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-30
Engine Size
No. Also not a fan of Hydrogen embrittlement causing the rapid unscheduled deconstruction of my motor.
That too.

Although you'll be hearing about it sometime in the not too distant future, since hydrogen is planned to be, or already is, being mixed with natural gas in pipelines in the US. Definitely already is in Europe. Nice recent study out of Los Alamos Nat. Labs that shows research about explosion flame spread, etc., of various mixes of hydrogen and nat. gas, obviously for use in pipeline research. They highlighted the difficulty of planning for the safety of that mix going into innumerable different pieces of homeowner equipment and also commercial equipment.

Boom!

drumvirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-30
Engine Size

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
@Matt69olds doesn't your dad have a square with a big block Olds getting stupid good gas milage?

I wouldn’t call 16 stupid good, but for a big block truck I think that’s pretty respectable.

My dad is almost 75, he drives like a typical 75 year old, he has gotten 17 before.

It’s a stock 71 455, 3.08 gears and a TH350C trans.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceyman72