Whats you gas mileage on your squarebody truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
Has anyone ever done a propane swap? A coworker mentioned they had done that before. Does that improve efficiency at all…also I know nothing about anything to do with this stuff, so if this is a stupid question please don’t berate me lol.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I don't remember if I've posted in here but I get 13-17mpg around town depending on how rowdy I'm feeling lol. Hwy ain't too bad, 18-22mpg from 70-80mph and 14mpg at 90+ lol

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Has anyone ever done a propane swap? A coworker mentioned they had done that before. Does that improve efficiency at all…also I know nothing about anything to do with this stuff, so if this is a stupid question please don’t berate me lol.
I won't berate you. At one time I worked at a shop that sold propane and I looked into it some. Your mileage will go down, by about 1/3.

This is off the department of energy website "Because a gallon of propane has 27% less energy than a gallon of gasoline, the fuel economy of propane vehicles is slightly lower". So you'd need to pay less for propane than gasoline, and it needs to be quite a bit less. If your a large fleet company and you have large bulk loads of propane delivered I can see how it could be viable. I think that's why it's not a very common conversion at all.

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
I don't remember if I've posted in here but I get 13-17mpg around town depending on how rowdy I'm feeling lol. Hwy ain't too bad, 18-22mpg from 70-80mph and 14mpg at 90+ lol
What’s your setup to get such a higher range than what seems to be typical?

HotWheelsBurban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carol
Truck Year
Truck Model
R2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I won't berate you. At one time I worked at a shop that sold propane and I looked into it some. Your mileage will go down, by about 1/3.

This is off the department of energy website "Because a gallon of propane has 27% less energy than a gallon of gasoline, the fuel economy of propane vehicles is slightly lower". So you'd need to pay less for propane than gasoline, and it needs to be quite a bit less. If your a large fleet company and you have large bulk loads of propane delivered I can see how it could be viable. I think that's why it's not a very common conversion at all.
It's more common in Europe and the UK than here. Their propane is more expensive than ours is, but still much cheaper than petrol.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
What’s your setup to get such a higher range than what seems to be typical?
LS and overdrive lol. 5.3 with ~10.5:1 compression, 799 heads/TBSS intake, BTR stage 4 V2 truck cam, 4L65E with a 3200 stall and 3.90 gears
You must be registered for see images attach

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
LS and overdrive lol. 5.3 with ~10.5:1 compression, 799 heads/TBSS intake, BTR stage 4 V2 truck cam, 4L65E with a 3200 stall and 3.90 gears
You must be registered for see images attach
Lol don’t know what any of that means but good to know you are able to get numbers that high!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Lol don’t know what any of that means but good to know you are able to get numbers that high!
He swapped it to a hopped up modern fuel injected LS motor and matching electronically controlled overdrive transmission from a 2001-up GM vehicle

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Haha This is a hopped up engine and transmission from an '06 GMC Envoy Denali, so it has fuel injection and all the modern goodies to make it drive nice and get good mileage with alot of power

tophat36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jessica
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
350-4 V8
Haha This is a hopped up engine and transmission from an '06 GMC Envoy Denali, so it has fuel injection and all the modern goodies to make it drive nice and get good mileage with alot of power
I guess I don’t understand the point of all that, if you want a modern truck why not just buy a new/newer one? I guess it depends on your goals and what you want to use it for. I like the idea or preserving something in time but that’s probably an unpopular mentality.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I guess I don’t understand the point of all that, if you want a modern truck why not just buy a new/newer one? I guess it depends on your goals and what you want to use it for. I like the idea or preserving something in time but that’s probably an unpopular mentality.
Cuz I like the styling of these trucks, I've loved them since I was a kid. But weezy old small blocks and carbs suck lol. Plus this one had a hurt 305 in it and me and my buddies roadtrip all over the US in these things. I wanted the best of both worlds, classic looks but modern performance. Some day I'd like to add a mostly original truck to the stable and keep it that way cuz the nostalgia is cool, I will admit.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^^^^^Ditto. Love the looks but hate the crappy power, brakes, AC, radio, gauges, transmission.... RetroMod and have something that looks good AND something you can spend more time driving than working on. To be fair you have to compare apples to apples. I now have all that fancy modern stuff in my 85K20 but I only get around 15 mpg/highway but my truck probably weighs twice what Hucks does.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nope but I saw a propane fired 70s model, with a turbo!! For sale a couple years back. The conversion and turbo were very old. Looked like a pkg deal aftermarket setup. Very unique.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04