What's the midway point between long bed and short bed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
The only problem you would have is to find LNB steps to cut down for your 7' bed. No one that I know about reproduces the long bed step, and they are really tough to find (ask me how I know). I suppose you could fab them out of 2 of the new SNB steps, but not sure if there is enough meat to make a visually appealing end result.

To clarify, are you referring to the step side bed? Sorry if this is obvious. I've been up all night.

If so, I was only talking about the fleet side beds. Trying to get a step side bed to be a 7 footer seems like a nightmare. Unless you're like a master fabricator or something.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
To clarify, are you referring to the step side bed? Sorry if this is obvious. I've been up all night.

If so, I was only talking about the fleet side beds. Trying to get a step side bed to be a 7 footer seems like a nightmare. Unless you're like a master fabricator or something.
Kyle(Metalox) in Phoenix is the master. This guy cuts down beds a few times a week. Most don't even need bodywork. When he's done all that shows is a 1/2" wide strip of bare metal.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350

My apology, I thought you were talking about step sides beds, also known by the moniker LNB or SNB. Don't know why they are called narrow, as both step side and fleetside beds are the exact same dimensions of 50" wide for the interior bed width, and 79.6" wide exterior at the fenders. Maybe it's just the visual illusion of being narrower? Another interesting fact is the step side bed is .2" longer on the interior length dimension than the fleetside (98.3" vs. 98.1"), per my 1986 Advance GMC Truck Light Duty Data Book.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I was talking about the stretched cab.

But some of the duallys were already 4 doors. Thus you could get the same result just by modifying an old dually. Maybe that's what they did, I dunno. Unless maybe you are saying that they took a 4 door cab and made it even longer?

Kyle(Metalox) in Phoenix is the master. This guy cuts down beds a few times a week. Most don't even need bodywork. When he's done all that shows is a 1/2" wide strip of bare metal.

Anywhere to see more pics of his bed work?

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I'd go the other way if anything, make it even shorter, just for fun. This is done by putting a pickup cab on a Blazer frame..
You must be registered for see images attach

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
But some of the duallys were already 4 doors. Thus you could get the same result just by modifying an old dually. Maybe that's what they did, I dunno. Unless maybe you are saying that they took a 4 door cab and made it even longer?

You're way over thinking my comment. Look at the CAB, the back wall of the cab BEHIND the rear doors has been stretched for added room like a late model Dodge Mega Cab (which I own). I just think it's cool, that's all.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
They used a standard crewcab shell and cut it as far back as possible and then cut another cab as far forward as possible to the door seam and combined the two.

That truck has a bench out of a van that lays flat for sleeping which is a nice plus. They use the truck for towing their trailers to shows. It has Cummins in it and the truck is filled with NOS parts.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'd go the other way if anything, make it even shorter, just for fun. This is done by putting a pickup cab on a Blazer frame..
Trazers...
These are pretty common on trails. They take the Tracker emblem and combine with a Blazer emblem and it looks pretty close to an original emblem.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I'd like to see that parked next to one of the chassis cab trucks wearing a stretched fleet side bed.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Hey at least he didn't have to sacrifice much bed space for that tool box!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

7 wouldnt be hard to produce since the 8 foot bed is just a matter of taking excess off the long part at the rear
But to make it look like a 6 foot step side, that would be hard

Here are a 8 and 6foot just to have visual ccomparison.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Boy, I like that truck. Wish that I had enough time left to build one. I wonder what a 11 foot step side would look like?

This is one of my 1954 one tons with the 9' box.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Buy a gooseneck and make it any length you want.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221010-053825~2.png
    Screenshot_20221010-053825~2.png
    841.8 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag