What you reckon it's worth? 76 GMC Sprint

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Fine, be difficult....

El Camino Bumpers. 1964-1972 El Camino Bumpers Parts. (ss396.com)

hmmm, I guess they don't like 76... rear bumpers skip 73-77

El Camino Bumpers, Rear. 1964-1972 El Camino Bumpers, Rear Parts. (ss396.com)

How are your fab skills? you may need to graft the 76 taillights into a 78 bumper.

Hahaha. Parts folk are bias huh. My fab skills are adequate, but if I were to fix the car it would be to sell it, not drive it. This bumper deal is for the value not looks. Be my guess is the press plates for these models is wore out/ tore up and not worth building another set? The front bumper is my major concern, several hours with a stump, sand bag and dead blow and the rear would be fine. Except the chrome which @Bennyt have only found one local (in Lubbock 150 miles south) that would chrome it for 6 to 800 if it was bare metal.
So, not to be an ass @GMFORLIFE , but, if you will look at the above photos you will find they are not indestructable nor everywhere, rears can be found don't really need a rear. Fronts are another story, I've only seen 1 in the last 5 years of looking.

Fellows I do appreciate ya'll, and the effort.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hahaha. Parts folk are bias huh. My fab skills are adequate, but if I were to fix the car it would be to sell it, not drive it. This bumper deal is for the value not looks. Be my guess is the press plates for these models is wore out/ tore up and not worth building another set? The front bumper is my major concern, several hours with a stump, sand bag and dead blow and the rear would be fine. Except the chrome which @Bennyt have only found one local (in Lubbock 150 miles south) that would chrome it for 6 to 800 if it was bare metal.
So, not to be an ass @GMFORLIFE , but, if you will look at the above photos you will find they are not indestructable nor everywhere, rears can be found don't really need a rear. Fronts are another story, I've only seen 1 in the last 5 years of looking.

Fellows I do appreciate ya'll, and the effort.

Yeah, its getting harder and harder to find good bumper shops. I've been fortunate to have lived within an hour of a good bumper shop every time I've needed one. $600+ is way too much and the bare metal parts makes no sense. When I lived in Texas I had some bumpers done in OKC.

I've been paying, last one about 2 years ago, roughly $150 to strip to bare metal, straighten and do minor repair, and then another $200 or so to fill, copper, chrome and polish. This is equal or better than factory condition. For a true show car, you can pretty much triple the price to roughly $800-1000. It gets really expensive when you start shaving bumper holes, tucking, etc. On my '63 Nova I had to use 3 original bumpers to section and remove the front license plate recess and while I chose to paint for the look I was going for, I had all 3 stripped and straighten before cutting. I'm about to send out a rare 62-65 Acadian Nova rear bumper and I was quoted roughly $500.

Another solution is to visit a very large car show like Goodguys, etc and bring it with you. A lot of times they will have vendors there with 500 or so bumpers and either swap it out with you, or you can drop it off and pick it up at the next show. I've done that with a place that brings the parts to Mexico.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Yeah, its getting harder and harder to find good bumper shops. I've been fortunate to have lived within an hour of a good bumper shop every time I've needed one. $600+ is way too much and the bare metal parts makes no sense. When I lived in Texas I had some bumpers done in OKC.

I've been paying, last one about 2 years ago, roughly $150 to strip to bare metal, straighten and do minor repair, and then another $200 or so to fill, copper, chrome and polish. This is equal or better than factory condition. For a true show car, you can pretty much triple the price to roughly $800-1000. It gets really expensive when you start shaving bumper holes, tucking, etc. On my '63 Nova I had to use 3 original bumpers to section and remove the front license plate recess and while I chose to paint for the look I was going for, I had all 3 stripped and straighten before cutting. I'm about to send out a rare 62-65 Acadian Nova rear bumper and I was quoted roughly $500.

Another solution is to visit a very large car show like Goodguys, etc and bring it with you. A lot of times they will have vendors there with 500 or so bumpers and either swap it out with you, or you can drop it off and pick it up at the next show. I've done that with a place that brings the parts to Mexico.

Getting harder and harder to find a Good shop of any kind! I'm not a chrome and pretty up kind of guy, hate body work, as I add it all up and figure, smoke cigs, spit snuff think about it. Have decided the old girl is going to the dirt track. So, I'm about to have some pretty decent El Camino/Sprint parts laying around. Hope it is this old cars destiny to end up a bad ass roundy round car??

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Getting harder and harder to find a Good shop of any kind! I'm not a chrome and pretty up kind of guy, hate body work, as I add it all up and figure, smoke cigs, spit snuff think about it. Have decided the old girl is going to the dirt track. So, I'm about to have some pretty decent El Camino/Sprint parts laying around. Hope it is this old cars destiny to end up a bad ass roundy round car??

I know a guy that does roundy round racing, he got a rusty El Camino roller from me to use, but he later found out that his class rules wouldn't let him run an El Camino. He has to stick with the G-body coupes that he is already running. So check your class rules before you cut up a good street car.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
I know a guy that does roundy round racing, he got a rusty El Camino roller from me to use, but he later found out that his class rules wouldn't let him run an El Camino. He has to stick with the G-body coupes that he is already running. So check your class rules before you cut up a good street car.

Yes sir. Rules at this track were contradict, had a talk with the guy that owns the track and he says an El Camino is fine. So long as it has at least a 112 inch wheel base. Hell, somebody is running a 70's ford pick up. This class is called Street Stock, have to run stock suspension, close to stock engine, chassis, body drive train etc has to be GM to GM. Ford to Ford, Dodge on Dodge. Set up to try and keep the "money" guys out. It's fun racing and pretty fast for a 1/4 mile dirt track, seems I'll be racing guys like me, except alot younger.
Do appreciate it Bucket

GMFORLIFE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Elcamino has a boxed frame..like a pickup.
Super strong.
Had another 73 with a 454 and turbo 400.
Amazed my friends pulling trees from the ground..lmfao

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Elcamino has a boxed frame..like a pickup.
Super strong.
Had another 73 with a 454 and turbo 400.
Amazed my friends pulling trees from the ground..lmfao

I'm still learning about these cars, but apparently only the '73-'74 have the boxed frame. The later Elcos had a standard type frame that is open in the center area.

Allan Abley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
a shame to ruin it on a track even if it is a sprint as it looks like super nice body. 73-77 chevelle bumpers interchange and why worry about them if u are putting it on the track. or u can get them straightened. lots of options but should be worth in the $4-5000 arena.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I know a guy who recently sold a decent one, running and driving, for around $12K. Interior needed a little work and original paint was worn. This one looks to be worth less than half that much if you sell it as is.

If you can get it on the road and replace the missing trim piece under the drivers door, then that's a different story. Also spend 30 minutes cleaning out the bed. First impressions are everything!

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
I know a guy who recently sold a decent one, running and driving, for around $12K. Interior needed a little work and original paint was worn. This one looks to be worth less than half that much if you sell it as is.

If you can get it on the road and replace the missing trim piece under the drivers door, then that's a different story. Also spend 30 minutes cleaning out the bed. First impressions are everything!

Missing trim is in the dirty bed, lol. Every thing I have needs cleaned right now, so......lol

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm with the others, it's too good of a car to bash up on a dirt track. But it's your car (truck?) to do what you want with.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
I'm with the others, it's too good of a car to bash up on a dirt track. But it's your car (truck?) to do what you want with.

I do not disagree. Though, 5 years ago at the same time I got the itch to dirt track this car came along. I always said it was to nice to race. Have looked for an A or B body roller or car, may remember me asking about a Buick here a while back, with no luck. Itch came back pretty strong and lo and behold this car is just sitting in the weeds. When I brought it in the shop my thinking was to fix it up to where I could haul the race car to the track, just for ***** and giggles. But, I've no race car, and plenty of cool vehicles to haul one with. Then, there is those damn bumpers. So, here we go.
Sorry guys.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@wanderinthru,

What's wrong with the column? Maybe I can help, places to get parts, tear down/build up help. I have pics. I just rebuilt my column for the second time and had to do welding and all.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@wanderinthru,

Are you indicating you are going to build it to dirt race?? Man I hope not. Do ya'll do pickup truck dirt racing in your area? Heck, the junk yards are full of decent cars that would make good candidates for dirt track racing than sacrifice a El Camino in decent shape. That would be better than bashing a getting "rare-er every day" truck-car whatever you call a El Camino.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
$5000 seems like a bitter pill to swallow after buyin all that work for an oddball not popular model anyways.

Are there any other choices? Id rather a cool sedan than the el camino..for 5k especially.
Does the A/C work?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pasturepilot