What would you do?

With a saggy rear end and older lift what would you do?

• New leaf springs (deleting block)

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • Shackle flip + zero rate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Air bags alone

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Burb has a 6" lift..springs up front, 14bolt FF with a 4" block and helper/add a leaf in rear. Purchased the 1" zero rates from ORD to help get the level back. Only have an inch to give out of my current U bolts. I've got the lift and tire setup exactly where I want it but want to make this right. The more and more I tow with it the more I want a rake back to help even things out on their own. I don't crawl in it but enjoy trail rides. Installing Bilstein 5125s next but need your opinions on best course of action..please vote and help me decide. Any comments or advice is much appreciated. Thanks ladies and gents!

Attachments

• IMG_20220331_115250.jpg
    IMG_20220331_115250.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_20220331_115358.jpg
    IMG_20220331_115358.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 84

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
New springs and u-bolts.

Those springs are bent either by fatigue or being overflexed (on the trail or overloaded), regardless, they won't get better and will likely continue to sag.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
New springs all the way man.

Not entirely relatable, but I put some 3/4 ton 52's on the back of my burb, they were off a 14b ff rear end that came from a 75 truck.

They really raised the back end to match the new 3/4 ton coils I put up front. With some good rake.

After towing a good bit of weight several times, now they are beginning to flatten.
At this point it's probably slightly taller up front now than the back as they've worn.

Like nvrenuf said, they only go downhill from here unless you have them re-arched

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
New springs all the way man.

Not entirely relatable, but I put some 3/4 ton 52's on the back of my burb, they were off a 14b ff rear end that came from a 75 truck.

They really raised the back end to match the new 3/4 ton coils I put up front. With some good rake.

After towing a good bit of weight several times, now they are beginning to flatten.
At this point it's probably slightly taller up front now than the back as they've worn.

Like nvrenuf said, they only go downhill from here unless you have them re-arched
Roger that..thats what I was wanting to know. With continued trailer pulls it makes sense to do new a new leaf pack. Leaning towards a bag kit too, to help ride and lengthen the life of the new springs. Thanks

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Roger that..thats what I was wanting to know. With continued trailer pulls it makes sense to do new a new leaf pack. Leaning towards a bag kit too, to help ride and lengthen the life of the new springs. Thanks

That's my plan, new rear leafs

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The best setup for ride would be Deaver or ORD custom leaf springs(make sure you check ORDs math on the length), a longer tension shackle (not flipped from standard configuration, airbags for spring rate when you need more rate and a nice set of shocks.

Only way to get better than that is links and coils.

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
The best setup for ride would be Deaver or ORD custom leaf springs(make sure you check ORDs math on the length), a longer tension shackle (not flipped from standard configuration, airbags for spring rate when you need more rate and a nice set of shocks.

Only way to get better than that is links and coils.
Thanks for the info!

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
@John-Ryan you might also try calling Tech Support at Skyjacker. I see that you are in Texas, Skyjacker is in West Monroe, Louisiana. Their tech guys are super helpful and will tell you exactly what you need.

I can't compare their stuff to ORD or Deaver but I can say that the set of Soft Ride front leaf springs I just installed ride a lot better than what I had and ride better than either of the square body 4wds I grew up driving. Also, the price was much easier on my wallet. They will sell the correct U-Bolt kit and the correct bushing kit for their spring pack also.

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
@John-Ryan you might also try calling Tech Support at Skyjacker. I see that you are in Texas, Skyjacker is in West Monroe, Louisiana. Their tech guys are super helpful and will tell you exactly what you need.

I can't compare their stuff to ORD or Deaver but I can say that the set of Soft Ride front leaf springs I just installed ride a lot better than what I had and ride better than either of the square body 4wds I grew up driving. Also, the price was much easier on my wallet. They will sell the correct U-Bolt kit and the correct bushing kit for their spring pack also.
They're definitely on the list of spring suppliers to get a hold of. Have used them in the past and have nothing bad to say at all about the product or customer service.

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
If cost isn't an issue. 4 link front and rear.
Been debating that too..I'm currently trying to sell my 15 Ram and save for another square. Tossed the 4 link swap in my head a couple times..I plan on never selling the Burb so it's an option.

mntman71

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
400 small block 4L80E NP241 Holley fuel injected locked rear diff, disc break conversion, 35"s
I am running 35” tires a shackle flip 4” and 0 rake 1” and air bags.

If I had it to do over I would have left the blocks and did airbags I have a slip on camper and have to max air bags and if you have a stock setup airbags or helper bags are way cheaper. Easy to find parts. If that’s your main use. IMO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128