What tire to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Early next year, i'm going to be getting new tires for the truck. The 35x12.5x15 mtr i have now are just to hard from their age and dont grip anything but the pavement. I want to stay with 35 inch tires, but wondering if a narrow or wide tire would be better. I use the truck for trails and any and all mud holes i can find. It only sees street miles on the way to the trails. I was looking at the tsl sx or the bogger, although the boggers are prolly too aggressive, but im open to suggestions. Any input would be great.

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Narrow tires dig deeper to get to the solid stuff, but sometimes that can get too deep. Wider tires take a little more horsepower to get em kickin, but when they're kickin they go across the top. When they dig in though it's easy to bog out if you dont have a deep enough gear to keep em turning. I really like the 14.5" wide TSL SXs, I'd like to get a pair of them, or 15" Boggers for the back of my truck and move the newer 12.5s to the front.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Id rather not have the power to turn them rather than digging too deep, the deeper the holes the harder it is to get un stuck! Well im not worried about not being able to turn the tires, four low and granny gear fix that issue, and im loking at getting some 4.10 gears anyway. I like the TSL SX 35x15.50x15 more than the Bogger 35x14.50x15, also want to mount them on my 14" wide rims

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
14" rims? That's awful wide, they would be good for 18" 44s. 12 would be the max for a 14-15" wide tire IMO. Any bigger and they're likely to come off the bead, especially if you air down ay for trail riding and get off camber. Unless they're beadlocks, of course.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
You may want to keep an eye on this site every day when you get the money ready...
http://www.intercotire.com/news-article.php?article=1
...and be ready to fire off an email real quick, if you dont mind running blems. Just pay close attention to wheel size, several times I saw tires on there I wanted but they were way wrong on wheel size.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
well they are not beadlocks my biggest concern with the 14" rims is the lip catching on rocks and breaking the rim. Thats what is happening with my 12" wide rims with the 35x12.5 tires on them now.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You may want to keep an eye on this site every day when you get the money ready...
http://www.intercotire.com/news-article.php?article=1
...and be ready to fire off an email real quick, if you dont mind running blems. Just pay close attention to wheel size, several times I saw tires on there I wanted but they were way wrong on wheel size.

Yea that seems hit or miss. I've got an account at LesSchawb tire they can order from Interco tire, but that would be a great way to get a good spare.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
well they are not beadlocks my biggest concern with the 14" rims is the lip catching on rocks and breaking the rim. Thats what is happening with my 12" wide rims with the 35x12.5 tires on them now.

You should always be a couple inches narrower on your wheel than your tire width. So for a 12.5 you should run a 10" rim. Interco has recommended rim width for their tires here...
http://intercotire.com/tires.php?id=10&g=1

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
X2

I like Thornbirds too for the looks.

Looks dont get ya out of the bogs! I never did care for thornturds, they got those big ole side biters but the tread is the worst I ever seen.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you spend much time above 50 mph, don't go with the TSL SX's. I had the 35x15.5's and they weren't too bad at lower speeds. I took that Blazer on the freeway exactly once and said I would never do that again. You know what a dog looks like when it's shaking of water after a bath? That's about what the Blazer did going down the highway... it was nuts. Maybe I just had a bad set though.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you spend much time above 50 mph, don't go with the TSL SX's. I had the 35x15.5's and they weren't too bad at lower speeds. I took that Blazer on the freeway exactly once and said I would never do that again. You know what a dog looks like when it's shaking of water after a bath? That's about what the Blazer did going down the highway... it was nuts. Maybe I just had a bad set though.
I'm not worried about that the truck don't see that much street time and not really any highway miles at speed.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Dont buy firestone tires they go flat.

OMG I just cant stop laughing, yea and none of the rest of the RUBBER tire manufactures ever have a flat.

HMMMMM lets see here I have ran:

Goodyear Yep got a few flats with them
Mastercraft Yep had a few with them also
Cooper HMM oh yea i sure did have a few with them also
BF Goodrich yep them 2
HanKock well all be damned I have had a couple with them also
Micheln Oh damn they cant be any good I had a blow out with 1
Kelly let me think YEP you guessed it them 2

Maybe I should write to the CEO of each of them companies and let them know it is not fair I had a few flat tires while running there tires, Wonder if they would do anthing about it.

Dave did you forget my old signature? Let me remind you count to 10 before you post. Are you missing a finger and only counting to 9? :Moon::shitsweak:

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205

LOL I'm sure I dont need to tell you this, SXs are bias-ply tires, when cold they ride like a trampoline is attached to all 4 corners and they're all bouncing at different times. But yours should have warmed up eventually and smoothed out, it's possible they were out-of-round. Most big tires have a "balancing patch" inside the tire on the tread, just looks like a big ole piece of rubber. I've been reading people are taking that out and putting those airsoft bb's in the tire, about a half of one of those quart-sized containers per tire for 38s. At about $25 per container that can get expensive. I always wondered if water could do the same thing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76