What tire to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
LOL I'm sure I dont need to tell you this, SXs are bias-ply tires, when cold they ride like a trampoline is attached to all 4 corners and they're all bouncing at different times. But yours should have warmed up eventually and smoothed out, it's possible they were out-of-round. Most big tires have a "balancing patch" inside the tire on the tread, just looks like a big ole piece of rubber. I've been reading people are taking that out and putting those airsoft bb's in the tire, about a half of one of those quart-sized containers per tire for 38s. At about $25 per container that can get expensive. I always wondered if water could do the same thing?

Yep, I know all about bias ply tires but these things really had a shake. When I mounted them, I tried putting the first one on the digital balancer just for the heck of it. I knew going in it was a waste of time, but curiosity got the better of me. It was funny how out of round it was and it freaked out the balancer. It wanted like 64 ounces on the inside and another 40 something on the outside. I ended up putting 16 ounces of BB's in all four tires and it helped a little bit. My brother in law said to put a few golf balls in each tire, but I never tried it.

My dually has those 36" feed store mudders on it and they are downright smooth after they warm up. Even when cold, they still don't shake much.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Anyone had any experience with nitto mud grapplers? They make a 35x14.50x15 that would work for my rims.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68