What should i replace on a NP241 rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Looking thru all the yards for a suburban 241. Once I grab one what all should I inspect and replace? Just a few bearings and maybe a chain?

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
I havent rebuilt one yet. When mine went out I picked up one from a truck someone was parting out and just swapped it out. It was pretty easy to swap out the tcase. I know you can buy a rebuild kit and I heard its pretty easy to tear one apart. You just really need a good set of snap ring pliers. I really would like to set one up with a SYE kit on it.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Ya I've watches tear down videos. It seems super simple. I'm guessing the only real thing to replace is bearings and races.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Get the pump case repair kit its about $30 and a must do when its apart. The rebuild kit comes with bearings gaskets and shift fork pads

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Get the pump case repair kit its about $30 and a must do when its apart. The rebuild kit comes with bearings gaskets and shift fork pads

Delete that! lol. tore mine apart this weekend. No need of any pump fix:) the 241 has a good pump design.

If you buy the bearing and seal kit it gives you all the bearings, all the outer case shaft seals, shift fork pads and all the O rings.

It does not give you the plastic shift fork bushings, tail shaft bushing or snap rings.

Main thing is to make sure the pump is in good condition and that all the gear teeth are not worn. If its been in use for a long time since its last overhaul its probably a good idea to just go ahead and put a new pump in.

The chain is stretched if there is any play in the pins that hold the links together. If the chain is replaced on worn drive sprockets the chain will bind.
So if replacing the chain make certain the drive sprockets are in good shape.

I picked up a snap ring plier that is about a foot long and has the flat plier tips. It works great on these snap rings, cost $20

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
I found one the other day and ordered a seals kit on the way home just to start me off. Once I got it opened it all looked brand new. No damage, magnet was clean, chains tight, fork pads looked great, pump was clean.

So I just replaced the rings and seals. Lol

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh that's a good deal.

I thought the same too but when I took a long time looking it over carefully I found that the input gear/shaft and the range hub shifter had slightly worn teeth so I replaced the range hub shifter as no luck in getting the input gear in time to get it back together.

As long as I stay out of 4 low no issues.

Im undecided if I want to install the 32 spline and mate it to my th400 or keep the 27 spline for the 700r4. So im gonna run it like it is and decide in the spring

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I think its a good idea to change the shift fork rod bushings and the tail bushing everytime its opened. I have to live with old fork rod bushings but im gonna open it up again next year anyway, and ill change them then.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
I didn't see much wear. And I HATE changing bushings lol