What should I sell engine & tranny for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’m about to do the engine and trans swap for this 84’ K20 and curious what I should sell this 350 and TH350 for?

I also found a mechanic that may take them for partial payment for doing swap and I’d appreciate some advice on what I should ask for.

Engine doesn’t knock/ smoke. Transmission shifts through all three gears and reverse ok. I just changed shifter seal, and filter/ gasket on transmission.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Value may be higher or lower in whatever area being sold. If I don't know the value of something, price it high. Then lower it as required. Let the market tell you. For instance here I had a 74 454 rebuilt pullout. Sold it for core value. Priced a 4-wheeler to low, phone wouldn't stop ringing.

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Are these the originals from that truck? How many miles?
I guess that’s part of my problem. I would imagine they are original, but I don’t know how to tell. The mileage says 79k, but cable has been disconnected for who knows how long. I know it had been parked since 2015.
Value may be higher or lower in whatever area being sold. If I don't know the value of something, price it high. Then lower it as required. Let the market tell you. For instance here I had a 74 454 rebuilt pullout. Sold it for core value. Priced a 4-wheeler to low, phone wouldn't stop ringing.
I don’t even know where to start. Lol
I was thinking of asking mechanic for $500 credit toward swap cost of $1200.

KnuckleBuster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Floyd
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you're ok with $500 then give him a try. The worst thing that can happen is he may say 'no'. I'm guessing he'll counteroffer.

Ya know, it kinda irks me when someone gives advice on something that they know nothing about. So I must say that it has been a LONG time since I bought or sold a motor or transmission and I really have no idea what they go for these days. But if I were looking for a 350/350 combination like yours, in my uninformed opinion I don't think $500 would be to far out of line.

Last edited:

Dano500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thank you, I appreciate your input. I'll see what he offers, but I also really don't want to deal with this engine and transmission after swap is done as I have no where to put them, so I'll probably just take his counter.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I hope someone local to you will give some input because it seems to me the it can vary widely. used engine and tranny all accessories, if I the buyer can see it run and drive might worth 2,500 or more around here but elsewhere that might be $500. Just depends on local demand and availability.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0, yeah that would be quite the trip.
If I was single man and didn't have the farm I'd load the dog in the square body suburban I don't own but would if I was single and I'd make the trip for fun, and it would be a blast. But I'm not single, I have a farm that needs me, and a wife that does as well, so it's a no go. Sorry.

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
It is crazy what some people will pay for things. I would suggest posting an add on your local buy and sell or CL or whatever. Ask the $1200 while it can be heard running and driven. Never know, it may pay for the whole swap for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod