What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Added another floor jack to the family. After some research I got the HF Daytona 3T Super Duty model. Their yellow SD appears to be a step up in quality from the other jacks in the Daytona line. It gets good reviews and is a clone of the Snap-On jack at 1/3 the price. It's close enough that Snap-On sued HF over it (and lost).

Snap-on, Harbor Freight settle floor jack case (biztimes.com)

HF claims their jack comes from the same factory as the Snappy but S-O denies that. The similarities are hard to overlook though.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm impressed this comes with several zerk fittings for keeping it properly lubed, even the front wheels have them. Comparing it to my 3T Craftsman, they're both heavy. The C-man tips the scale at 85 lbs, while the HF comes in at 105 lbs. The saddle of the Daytona sits about 3/4" lower at rest, but at full reach is 4" higher. The real difference is in the number of pumps required to raise the pad. Full range on the Craftsman is 27 pumps, while the Daytona is just 5! That should save me quite a bit of time.

Pictured along with my 1.5t jack that I've had for about 40 years.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Added another floor jack to the family. After some research I got the HF Daytona 3T Super Duty model. Their yellow SD appears to be a step up in quality from the other jacks in the Daytona line. It gets good reviews and is a clone of the Snap-On jack at 1/3 the price. It's close enough that Snap-On sued HF over it (and lost).

Snap-on, Harbor Freight settle floor jack case (biztimes.com)

HF claims their jack comes from the same factory as the Snappy but S-O denies that. The similarities are hard to overlook though.

I'm impressed this comes with several zerk fittings for keeping it properly lubed, even the front wheels have them. Comparing it to my 3T Craftsman, they're both heavy. The C-man tips the scale at 85 lbs, while the HF comes in at 105 lbs. The saddle of the Daytona sits about 3/4" lower at rest, but at full reach is 4" higher. The real difference is in the number of pumps required to raise the pad. Full range on the Craftsman is 27 pumps, while the Daytona is just 5! That should save me quite a bit of time.

Pictured along with my 1.5t jack that I've had for about 40 years.

I was hoping the things I heard about these were actually true. My old napa jack is giving up, and I've been thinking about one of these!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Stepped into the 21st century with cordless tools finally.
Funny part is I was killing batteries faster than they could charge, seemed like couple times a week.
Have had these for 2 weeks and not used a one of them save for the flashlight once!
This is what “I need new batteries” but I “like a new drill and hex driver” and really want a cordless 1/2” impact and don’t have a peanut grinder turns into....
Now have all that schitt plus a sawzall, skil saw and flashlight!

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Nice!

I can't remember if I showed off the drill press I got. I love beefy old shop tools.

nice.....hopefully you got it at a steal.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
not new but i found my sawzall where i left it a year and half ago, battery was still mostly charged too. its a milwaukee cordless 18volt, but not the new ones. its the old line with NiCd batteries. I have a aftermarket NiMH battery set and I use the drill(heavy as hell) and the sawzall. Im gonna put a bulb in the flashlight(led) and have a nice light too. Heavieer tools, but i have about 5 chargers for them and like 10 Original batteries that lay in a box. If I wanted to save money i could buy the internal packs and have a **** load of batteries like my newer milwaukees

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Stepped into the 21st century with cordless tools finally.
Funny part is I was killing batteries faster than they could charge, seemed like couple times a week.
Have had these for 2 weeks and not used a one of them save for the flashlight once!
This is what “I need new batteries” but I “like a new drill and hex driver” and really want a cordless 1/2” impact and don’t have a peanut grinder turns into....
Now have all that schitt plus a sawzall, skil saw and flashlight!

you may find that you like the m12 series tools. Im really liking the cordless drill in the m12 but with a extended battery pack so it can stand on its own and last a decently good amount of time. Ive run some 3+ inch screws without drilling holes into some dense woods and only periodically run out of oomph to get them in and they were phillips/posiwhateversnaponsays drive.

The reason for this drill is its small, its LIGHT, and holding over your head isnt so exhausting comapred to the normal drill with even a light m18 pack. I also found my chuck on the m18 drill was eitehr defective or something is prematurely wearing it. it will loosen slowly by using it.

the m12 light is really nice too, but the magnet is too weak for its own good, and thus its really only good if you have extended pack to stand it somewhere or you hold it while using.

how is the m18 sawzall? Mine is the old 18 sawzall, its heavy, but i found that its not too cumbersome for use where i go out on a full batterry charge and a wood blade and cut tree branches and trees and brush with it. a good portion being over head. It does give a work out, but the only thing I think it would fall short on is the size is a bit much and its not super fast.

You may like the rapid charge stand. I got one with the chainsaw m18 and an EXTENDED battery. that thing on my impact(big one hehe, i love cheating) can do all lug nuts on the square, rusted on over a year and werent that clean to begin with, with only a bar lost. My regular packs would be 2 bars. Im quite literal in saying that between the chainsaw use of hte battery and my impact, ive charged it 3 times and its still full on its 3rd(not much use lately. its stays on impact unless I need chainsaw or for soem reason cant see another pack anywhere.

The stand will charge m12 fast too. Takes like 30 min and boom its done. Im using it only as needed to keep battery health up.

I happen to have been lucky in my gifts that Ive gotten of milwaukee tools that Ive ended up with redundant tools and they typically had 2 batteries or they came with big batteries(the middle sized ones). So Ive gotten more chaarger stands than needed and I have a healthy amount of small, medium, and one large battery to power my tools. The next few tools I get, I might just do tool-only because I frankly dont use enough daily to warrant packs. Although packs are better value-per-dollar.

I also have 4 dewalt packs despite not owning a single dewalt tool. I have 2 heated coats un clearance and gifted 2 packs to be able to swap out. kinda annoying but i may just keep an eye out on dewalt deals, their chainsaw is nicer than mil but i already have that one. Drill I hear is good. Maybe ill get a grease gun

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Sounds like you have quite the plethora of cordless tools!
I’ve only had drills and a hex driver. So this will be luxury for work around the house and shop.
I’ve generally always used corded power tools coming from the trades and using tools hard. My tools live a softer life these days, lol.
Idk how good the sawzall or saw works yet, or the impact.

I like the M12 stuff I think. Got the FIL a M12 drill and driver years ago and he said the drill was great.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
^Sounds like you have quite the plethora of cordless tools!
I’ve only had drills and a hex driver. So this will be luxury for work around the house and shop.
I’ve generally always used corded power tools coming from the trades and using tools hard. My tools live a softer life these days, lol.
Idk how good the sawzall or saw works yet, or the impact.

I like the M12 stuff I think. Got the FIL a M12 drill and driver years ago and he said the drill was great.
I said one day during November like 4 years ago I could use power tools and Its like my family all heard I"I only like power tools" but I won't compalin. I just got into the vibrating multi tool and with a scraper it's the most time saving thing ever

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
The real difference is in the number of pumps required to raise the pad. Full range on the Craftsman is 27 pumps, while the Daytona is just 5! That should save me quite a bit of time.

Ive had that same jack for a few years now. I love it. Night and day better than an old Craftsman that it replaced.
Number of pumps you used to raise it was unloaded. When loaded it'll be a lot more.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
think I paid too much, but I got a vice for $100 today at the flea market. (Big Red)

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
think I paid too much, but I got a vice for $100 today at the flea market. (Big Red)

Looks like a good OLD vice, which is better that a good new vice. Exactly what I have in my shop, not painted tho, but VERY durable!!!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Nice!

I can't remember if I showed off the drill press I got. I love beefy old shop tools.

that looks a lot like my older of my two drill presses. I can tell by looking at it i wont be moving any time soon because moving my newer one is a pain as it is lol

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Looks like a good OLD vice, which is better that a good new vice. Exactly what I have in my shop, not painted tho, but VERY durable!!!

After looking further, it's missing the swivel lock down (everything). I've sent Milwaukee an email requesting part #'s.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
After looking further, it's missing the swivel lock down (everything). I've sent Milwaukee an email requesting part #'s.
@Camar068 Do you really need the swivel feature, I know it's nice, but fixed would work for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128