What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The reason I don't buy snap-on is because I think there are just as good of tools out there for fraction of the cost. I'm more partial to craftsman. My dad always bought craftsman for personal use at the house. I like the feel of their wrenches. Snap-on wrenches are too thin for me. I like the old school style craftsman because they're a thicker wrench. When you have a really tight nut or bolt and have to pull on the wrenches hard it doesn't hurt your hand as much. Again too me.

I'll never judge you for your tool preferences because it's whatever you like that you want to buy. I also have some other brands. HF is Pittsburgh I think and some of their stuff is pretty good imo. Lowe's home depot have good tools. I won't cheap out tho on tools. But I really feel snap-on is over priced just for the name.

I have a snap-on tool box of my grandpa's that is old AF and rusted but the drawers still slide nice and smooth. It's kinda like Kennedy tool boxes for machinist. A lot of guy's get them in machine shops. But one top box for Kennedy is close to a grand. I bought 1 top box, mid box and a roller from craftsman for 400 something bucks. To buy all three in Kennedy would be over 2k. I can't do that and that's my profession just like a mechanic. If I was a mechanic I still would buy craftsman and not snap-on because I can get more for less money and still get the lifetime warranty.

So wrenches, ratchet sets craftsman. Screw drivers, hammers. Pry bars and other stuff I'll buy different brands of them because I'm not as picky fir that stuff. Plus HF is just right around the corner from the house. Lol

Speaking of craftsman wrenches. I have a nice set of ratchet wrenches. When I put the new alt in the 82 a couple of weeks ago. I dropped the 1/2 wrench into the front grill area and I never heard it hit the ground. I looked and looked and never found it. I've drove it since and I guess it's still there or may have fell out idk. It sucks tho! I really like that set and now I lost one. :bawl: lol
I've pretty much always used Craftsmans too. It was easy to get them replaced when Sears was still around. Haven't had to try at the new stores that sell them.
When Craftsman went Chinky on us, I got online and bought a lot more Craftsman wrenches and sockets that were made in the good ol US of A, while I still could.

The only problem I've had with Snap-on is that their tolerances are tighter than some of the nuts and bolts that they're used on.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The reason I don't buy snap-on is because I think there are just as good of tools out there for fraction of the cost. I'm more partial to craftsman. My dad always bought craftsman for personal use at the house. I like the feel of their wrenches. Snap-on wrenches are too thin for me. I like the old school style craftsman because they're a thicker wrench. When you have a really tight nut or bolt and have to pull on the wrenches hard it doesn't hurt your hand as much. Again too me.

I'll never judge you for your tool preferences because it's whatever you like that you want to buy. I also have some other brands. HF is Pittsburgh I think and some of their stuff is pretty good imo. Lowe's home depot have good tools. I won't cheap out tho on tools. But I really feel snap-on is over priced just for the name.

I have a snap-on tool box of my grandpa's that is old AF and rusted but the drawers still slide nice and smooth. It's kinda like Kennedy tool boxes for machinist. A lot of guy's get them in machine shops. But one top box for Kennedy is close to a grand. I bought 1 top box, mid box and a roller from craftsman for 400 something bucks. To buy all three in Kennedy would be over 2k. I can't do that and that's my profession just like a mechanic. If I was a mechanic I still would buy craftsman and not snap-on because I can get more for less money and still get the lifetime warranty.

So wrenches, ratchet sets craftsman. Screw drivers, hammers. Pry bars and other stuff I'll buy different brands of them because I'm not as picky fir that stuff. Plus HF is just right around the corner from the house. Lol

Speaking of craftsman wrenches. I have a nice set of ratchet wrenches. When I put the new alt in the 82 a couple of weeks ago. I dropped the 1/2 wrench into the front grill area and I never heard it hit the ground. I looked and looked and never found it. I've drove it since and I guess it's still there or may have fell out idk. It sucks tho! I really like that set and now I lost one. :bawl: lol

Hopefully your Craftsman ratchet wrenches are made better than the set my buddy has. Some fit the bolts a little loose. The 1/2" wrench will fit on 13mm bolt heads. That ain't right, lol.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Hopefully your Craftsman ratchet wrenches are made better than the set my buddy has. Some fit the bolts a little loose. The 1/2" wrench will fit on 13mm bolt heads. That ain't right, lol.
If it'll loosen or tighten both without stripping the bolt head that's a plus. Lol

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

I agree with what you saying about snap-on and extend that to the other tool trucks as well. All though mac, cornwell ect price their tools below snap-on they are still more expensive than Craftsman or HF's good stuff.

My Dad has a lot of Craftsman tools. I just don't know about the new "craftman" stuff being sold at Lowes. I wonder if Lowes will warranty the older Craftsman stuff from Sears?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I agree with what you saying about snap-on and extend that to the other tool trucks as well. All though mac, cornwell ect price their tools below snap-on they are still more expensive than Craftsman or HF's good stuff.

My Dad has a lot of Craftsman tools. I just don't know about the new "craftman" stuff being sold at Lowes. I wonder if Lowes will warranty the older Craftsman stuff from Sears?

They do warranty them, but of course you get the new style stuff.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@Mr Clean best I could do for you today,I'll take pics and go step by step when I do my 12v/9.6 stuff. It's self explanatory really, gut a battery,solder in a plug as pictured make cords as you need. I'm going to need the battery clip lead as pictured and a cigarette lighter plug which I have but can't find right now. I did a bunch of batteries like this a long time ago so I could run my hedge podge of 18v stuff off of 1 brand of battery. @bucket you have this same impact don't you. Personally when I convert it to wired 12v I don't think it will be any less convenient than an air impact,dragging a chord instead of a hose,but convenient by being able to power underhood,through a cigarette lighter,or off a jumper box. Just looked at Pic sorry I'll get a better one for you anyway the red and white pigtail you solder to the gutted battery contacts,the that pigtail plugs in to what ever chord you need for the source you are using.
@Mr Clean another pic for you,again this is from when I was using 1 battery for my 18v stuff still need to gut and put a pigtail in a 9.6 snap on battery.

P.S. This is what I like about snap on, tight tolerance,the tight fit they don't slip or round off hardware as per @WFO "The only problem I've had with Snap-on is that their tolerances are tighter than some of the nuts and bolts that they're used on."

Attachments

• 20230427_145733.jpg
    20230427_145733.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230427_152454.jpg
    20230427_152454.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 20230430_161900.jpg
    20230430_161900.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
My Napa sells craftsman tools too.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
All I'm saying, I won't be on my death bed reminiscing about how I saved $30 dollars on a tool that brings me no joy. However I may reminisce on my collection of snapon tools and the years of work, quality and joy they gave me.

I also like channel lock and knipex a lot.

And of course to each their own! I don't look down. I have my grandpas old tools, a bunch of craftsman and sk, and John Deere tools even.

Last edited:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Got some SK, but no stores carry them, but.....I got an address that I send my broken stuff to and I get new in return. Just gotta wait on them

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
@Ricko1966 yeah I've got that very same 9.6v impact.

I had to buy a new 15/16" wrench for the work truck today. It's a good example of what you get with low quality tools. It's a Dewalt wrench (I love the battery tools, but the hand tools aren't very good) and the open end completely stretched out. Of course, the local Bomgaars only had Dewalt wrenches, so I got another, lol.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
@bucket I've never owned any Dewalt hand tools, but that's just terrible. My HF stuff on the farm holds up better than that!

Just depends on usage I guess. A lot of the Pittsburgh wrenches have done the same thing. I don't remember any of the other company wrenches doing that, there's been a lot of Craftsman (the older style) Kobalt and Carlyle too. We've generally always bought the cheap stuff for the shop box and work trucks. The guys normally lose the tools before they get ruined.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
anyone use the HF cylinder hone? Thinking about getting a set for $23 tomorrow to clean up the spare LS blocks I've got.....they've got surface rust on them and want to clean/lube/store them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy