What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Not new but there are a couple of things 8n this pic some of you probably never thought of. I keep a small compressor outside in a doghouse,for airing up tires,cars,equipment, 4 wheelers,you get the Idea. The second thing in that pic. Notice I have a coupler on that compressor and on my air tank. Look at the fitting in the pic,I can join the 2 hoses and fill the air tank fast and not have to hold the hose against the Schrader.
I did the same thing on mine. I put on a quick connect fitting on the tank, just so i can run a little air tool or use the blaster on the go, but i also have a short double male ended curly air hose, so when i charge the compressor, it does both at once.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Not new but there are a couple of things 8n this pic some of you probably never thought of. I keep a small compressor outside in a doghouse,for airing up tires,cars,equipment, 4 wheelers,you get the Idea. The second thing in that pic. Notice I have a coupler on that compressor and on my air tank. Look at the fitting in the pic,I can join the 2 hoses and fill the air tank fast and not have to hold the hose against the Schrader.
Hey, thought for you Mr Ricko...
You seem to be a master at repurposing old tools...
A friend of mine has a 500 gallon propane tank, that he doesn't have any use for caise he uses wood, as do i.

I had this crazy idea of making a giant air compressor out of it, for my shop, so i can paint. Totally safe to leave outside, huge volume, etc.
I was thinking using 2, 3 piston compressors, and either a very large electric motor, or a small harbor freight gas engine, and plumb it myself.

You think that would be doable? Or is it stupid and overkill?
Because i was thinking for the price of a brand new very large conpressor, or less, i could buy enough parts to make a giant one.
Any thoughts...

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Hey, thought for you Mr Ricko...
You seem to be a master at repurposing old tools...
A friend of mine has a 500 gallon propane tank, that he doesn't have any use for caise he uses wood, as do i.

I had this crazy idea of making a giant air compressor out of it, for my shop, so i can paint. Totally safe to leave outside, huge volume, etc.
I was thinking using 2, 3 piston compressors, and either a very large electric motor, or a small harbor freight gas engine, and plumb it myself.

You think that would be doable? Or is it stupid and overkill?
Because i was thinking for the price of a brand new very large conpressor, or less, i could buy enough parts to make a giant one.
Any thoughts...
I think it's overkill but if I was determined to do it I'd repurpose a car engine. V or horizontally opposed 1/2 the cylinders running 1/2 the cylinders compressing air. I did some oretty thorough research on this a few months ago It'd very doable for me but I'm only planing on filling an 80 gallon tank and running a big sandblasted. You'd be better off,in my opinion if you just want it for painting find someone's blown up wore out 60 or 80 gallon compressor and fix/rebuild it.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I think it's overkill but if I was determined to do it I'd repurpose a car engine. V or horizontally opposed 1/2 the cylinders running 1/2 the cylinders compressing air. I did some oretty thorough research on this a few months ago It'd very doable for me but I'm only planing on filling an 80 gallon tank and running a big sandblasted. You'd be better off,in my opinion if you just want it for painting find someone's blown up wore out 60 or 80 gallon compressor and fix/rebuild it.
Hmmm, hadn't though about using a car engine, cool idea. You could plumb to the spark plug port, and remove the exhaust valve pushrod, just run the intake valves.

Yeah i was thinking that might be overkill too, but right i could be possible.
Have been looking for an old compressor tank to do that, but havent found any. Only found one a guy was selling. Motor still worked but the tank was rotted. Thought maybe propane tank might be the way to go..maybe not.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Hey, what if you (me) filled the tank with water most of the way some im only compressing maybe 100 gallon of water, and just have a vapor trap on the outgoing line...
If you plumbed the bottom too, i could have pressurized water at my shop too, hmmm, hahaha.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Hmmm, hadn't though about using a car engine, cool idea. You could plumb to the spark plug port, and remove the exhaust valve pushrod, just run the intake valves.

Have been looking for an old compressor tank to do that, but havent found any. Only found one a guy was selling. Motor still worked but the tank was rotted. Thought maybe propane tank might be the way to go..maybe not.
Several ways to make a car engine into a compressor pump,but your Idea would not be the easiest way. Easiest,cheapest would be on compressor side use exhaust valves as intake valves with really light springs so the act like reed valves. Pressure out is spark port with check valves. To make pressure more than like 100?110? You need to run domed pistons or make a stuffer for the combustion chamber to reduce volume.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

Can you still get the rotted compressor? Is it big enough? Is it cheap enough?I was planning air over water as my water pressure source. On my off grid place.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size

Just for you @AyWoSch Motors if you decide to build something I know more that's not being written about,but read all this if you decide to pull the trigger,lmk I'll give you some more info. Something more practical especially going into summer.Everybody and there brother is taken and old refrigerator compressor and putting it in place of the blownup compressor on small compressors. Build you one if those,there's plans every where. Take it a step further I haven't seen any of them do this. On the intake side of the compressor put a service valve you can connect to ac gauges or make a hose to connect to automotive A/C
put a coupler fitting in your tank so it never builds pressure you can now pull a vacuum on auto A/C before recharging. Take out the fitting and open the suction side and you have a small air compressor, way more practical than my robinaire vacuum pump,and a lot cheaper. Forgot to mention I haven't seen anyone put an air filter on there modified compressor. Use automotive fuel filter as your air filter.

Last edited:

Donald

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
350 / 290
I didn't get new tools but new toolboxes .

Attachments

• IMG_0993 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0993 - Copy.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 44

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
No tools but it's for the garage. Picked up this unit for $30 at the swap meet. Just enough decrepitude to be cool.
You must be registered for see images attach
Did you look inside it for seventh graders? I don't know if they still stick Seventh graders in lockers all this zero tolerance stuff,some kids will never know what it's like to try to keep from being put in a locker.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Not really a tool either but I did hang a TV over the tool box yesterday. Ignore the mess, this is evidently the best I can do :p

I use mine a lot. Can watch the race, football, or even instructional video's on youtube for your vehicle, weapons and what not.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Not really a tool either but I did hang a TV over the tool box yesterday. Ignore the mess, this is evidently the best I can do :p

I put up a TV earlier this year too. I've never had a TV in a garage before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes