What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I understand y'alls point on high end quality tools. If you use tools for a living I would highly recommend them, they will pay for themselves over time. I'm just a guy that works on my own stuff, and every once in a while a buddies car, or truck. I can not see the reason to spend the kind of money Snap-On, Matco, or any of the other truck retail sales charge. I have some HF, Craftsman, and Stanley. They have done the job I needed them to do. That being said I do own some Snap-On. I love my ratcheting Screwdriver set, and my brake line wrenches are Matco.

Let's be honest... When it slips a busted knuckle is a busted knuckle. No one cares what it says on the side.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I understand y'alls point on high end quality tools. If you use tools for a living I would highly recommend them, they will pay for themselves over time. I'm just a guy that works on my own stuff, and every once in a while a buddies car, or truck. I can not see the reason to spend the kind of money Snap-On, Matco, or any of the other truck retail sales charge. I have some HF, Craftsman, and Stanley. They have done the job I needed them to do. That being said I do own some Snap-On. I love my ratcheting Screwdriver set, and my brake line wrenches are Matco.

Let's be honest... When it slips a busted knuckle is a busted knuckle. No one cares what it says on the side.
But my snapon flank drives don't slip
More importantly to me whether I'm wrenching at work or wreching at home I count on my tools to work and not break when I need them. I've had too many bad experiences with harbor freight tools even things I thought couldn't matter. I have had good luck with Craftsman,SK,and some other cheap tools. Now if I do buy a harbor freight tool,regardless of cost or warranty just wrenching at home if it breaks or is bad right out of the box,I have 3 hours driving and 30 dollars in gas to replace it and probably won't get back to my project that day which means it probably will be the following week on my day off. Cheap tools cost me too much. If you have good luck I hope that trend continues.
Even my 30 year old snap on cordless stuff still works like new just my batteries won't hold a charge anymore. I'm going to repurpose them with cigarette lighter plugs to use off a jumper box,plugged into a cigarette lighter,or clipped to a car battery
for use directly in front of a car or underhood

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I'm getting old. I have no want for ****** tools or boring cars. Not saying all cheap tools are ****** tools. Of course.

Im on the buy once cry once boat. I also have never regretted a Snap-on purchase. There's a YouTuber I watch, the fuzzy warm feeling you get when you use a quality tool or shoot a cool gun or whatever, he calls it the fizz.

Snapon gives me the fizz. harbor freight does not lol. Like I said life goes too fast.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Craftsman 1/2" torque wrench bought new recently for around $125, it's been doing very well for me last couple days. I'm slowly replacing the tools I break/wear out with good/better quality as I can afford it.

Attachments

• 20230423_122707.jpg
    20230423_122707.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 24

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
We use Proto torque wrenches almost exclusively here at the shop. Pretty much bulletproof, and hold their calibration except occasionally the little switch-type ratchets get wonky. Just like every switch-type ratchet. Even Strap-On. All of them suck.

You want a bullet-proof ratchet head? Get a rotary one like an S-K. Those little switchy ones are cr@p no matter who makes them.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Yes sir.
That is my 1970 Squareback.
The PO had fabricated a wide body kit for it back in the 90's that consisted of a set of four rear bug fenders.
Those were cut and contoured to the squares fender shape, then welded into place on the square fenders.
It rolls on 225/60/14's currently and has been off the road since 1998 when the PO suddenly passed away.
I have had it as a waiting project for 9 or so years now...
You must be registered for see images attach

Inside the front fender where you can see they took their time to fit the pieces together...

I will have to do a write up on this one in the Other Vehicles thread on the forum.
It will be getting an 11:1 2332 engine built for it...
Great looking "Square". I wanted one those in 1970, as I knew Uncle Sam was going to be first job I had. Couldn't find one in decent enough shape to spend the money on (they were pricey that year). Instead, found a 1970 El Camino with a 350 that had AC. My first vehicle with air. Wish I still had it!

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size

TRUTH! Many moons ago I had cheap wrenches that slipped, I struggled with the price but flank drives are worth every penny. I'm just a recreational wrencher but I do have a fair amount of Snap On / Mac tools and they are much nicer than cheap stuff.

I've been wanting a set of ratchet wrenches lately (preferably flex head) and I've been eye balling Gearwrench and Icon stuff - any feedback on these 2 brands?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force

grrrr......you reminded me of my idea on ratcheting line wrenches. I sent drawings how to build them to gear wrench and I forget the other off brand vendor. I said to them in an email with drawings....and a good description how they would work. This was about 15 yrs ago.

I said you can have the idea.....just hook me up with a set or 2. Have I heard crap.....hell no. Sh|ts on the market and I ain't got squat.

grrrrr :Nonono:

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
@squaredeal91 no shame in that,its a good plan. I started with absolute junk and slowly worked my way up,it's not until you own good stuff that you realize the old stuff wasn't as good.
Thats what i do, i buy the cheap stuff, and as it breaks, or as i find out its garbage, i buy the next nicest one, until i find one that holds out. If the cheap garbage holds out and does just fine, then i keep it, less money spent. If it breaks, then i learned, and i move on.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
TRUTH! Many moons ago I had cheap wrenches that slipped, I struggled with the price but flank drives are worth every penny. I'm just a recreational wrencher but I do have a fair amount of Snap On / Mac tools and they are much nicer than cheap stuff.

I've been wanting a set of ratchet wrenches lately (preferably flex head) and I've been eye balling Gearwrench and Icon stuff - any feedback on these 2 brands?

The GearWrench isn't what it used to be. The earlier ones were fantastic. The later ones have larger box ends that sacrifice clearance and I've had a couple that fall apart. Snap-On is nice of course, but I haven't used flex heads. I haven't used the Icon version yet.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I'm getting old. I have no want for ****** tools or boring cars. Not saying all cheap tools are ****** tools. Of course.

Im on the buy once cry once boat. I also have never regretted a Snap-on purchase. There's a YouTuber I watch, the fuzzy warm feeling you get when you use a quality tool or shoot a cool gun or whatever, he calls it the fizz.

Snapon gives me the fizz. harbor freight does not lol. Like I said life goes too fast.
More importantly to me whether I'm wrenching at work or wreching at home I count on my tools to work and not break when I need them. I've had too many bad experiences with harbor freight tools even things I thought couldn't matter. I have had good luck with Craftsman,SK,and some other cheap tools. Now if I do buy a harbor freight tool,regardless of cost or warranty just wrenching at home if it breaks or is bad right out of the box,I have 3 hours driving and 30 dollars in gas to replace it and probably won't get back to my project that day which means it probably will be the following week on my day off. Cheap tools cost me too much. If you have good luck I hope that trend continues.
Even my 30 year old snap on cordless stuff still works like new just my batteries won't hold a charge anymore. I'm going to repurpose them with cigarette lighter plugs to use off a jumper box,plugged into a cigarette lighter,or clipped to a car battery

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
And a yugo is just as good as a Mercedes,they both get you where you are going. Maybe.
Yeah, because Mercedes never breaks down! Why does Snap-On give a lifetime warranty if their stuff is so good, and never slips or breaks?

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I would like to see a write up on repurposing your old batteries. what you do, and how to wire it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda