What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Dang VW's will multiply in the driveway before your eyes if you don't keep an eye on them too....
You must be registered for see images attach
Is that a true Squareback behind the '53 Olds/Pontiac/Chevy?

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Is that a true Squareback behind the '53 Olds/Pontiac/Chevy?
Yes sir.
That is my 1970 Squareback.
The PO had fabricated a wide body kit for it back in the 90's that consisted of a set of four rear bug fenders.
Those were cut and contoured to the squares fender shape, then welded into place on the square fenders.
It rolls on 225/60/14's currently and has been off the road since 1998 when the PO suddenly passed away.
I have had it as a waiting project for 9 or so years now...

Inside the front fender where you can see they took their time to fit the pieces together...

I will have to do a write up on this one in the Other Vehicles thread on the forum.
It will be getting an 11:1 2332 engine built for it...

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Some, if not most will scoff at me. But I enjoy high quality and I'm definitely a sentimental person. Sucker for heritage and lineage, and history/names. Was just gonna get the click style, as that's what I know and enjoy. But since I get into the higher torque ranges, I would have had to buy the smaller version AND the larger version, with this one I can almost do everything. For under 15 ft lbs I'll just feel it out like always with a regular ratchet, or the really light duty stuff I'll get like a torque screwdriver.

Buy once cry once, especially for precision work. I'm definitely not the "make sure you torque that" guy. Until it comes to engines, transmissions, axles. All the precision stuff anyways. I could probably count on two hands how many times I've used a torque wrench. So I'm not a torque preacher in the least.

Snapon techangle 1/2 drive 15-300 ft lbs. All black version. It even does nm, inch lbs and a couple other units. Also has a built in angle feature, so like for torque to yield bolts, like crank bolts and whatnot, you do your torque then switch it to angle and it'll calculate your degree of rotation and warn you just like torquing. That way you're super accurate. It has an lcd display and it can beep, vibrate, and has a little led ramp gauge when you get close to your value as well as it has real time torque output display.

So in theory you can use this like a beam style torque wrench as well, to measure drag in rotational force, seeing the real time amount of torque it takes to turn, as in like setting pinion preload on an axle.

Lifetime tools hold high value in my eyes. Especially these days in a throwaway society. "wEll iF It BrEAks JuST WarrANTY a nEw oNE". Trust me I understand that, but I can do the same thing? lol, and I'll still have a better tool. It may not be as fast as going to the store and getting a new one, but I also usually can't talk to a real person, as well as I don't have any harbor freight around here I don't even think within 300 miles. Edit: they just opened a harbor freight 100 miles from me lol. Still not worth it.

Quality feel in my hands is way more important than being able to go get a new one when it breaks. I also develop attachments to tools like trucks and anything else, so you'd just throw away your square for a different one that's not broken?

I love the thought that 100 years from now, someone will probably be buying my tools as vintage pieces. They'll still work and look great too. I'm just rambling now. Love the all black.

Last edited:

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
I bought the same unit in hi-vis yellow about a year ago and have zero regrets. I’m not a Snap-on guy, as a matter of fact I think besides one test light that’s the only tool I’ve got from them, but it’s the best one I’ve used. You’re gonna love it!

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I bought the same unit in hi-vis yellow about a year ago and have zero regrets. I’m not a Snap-on guy, as a matter of fact I think besides one test light that’s the only tool I’ve got from them, but it’s the best one I’ve used. You’re gonna love it!
Project farm on YouTube also just did a test on torque wrenches. Not this model, but snapon was the most accurate brand at the table. I almost went with the hiviz because the all black one was out of stock, and I needed it now. They also had a full chrome version that looked snazzy. Pretty sure snapon owns all of the high end torque wrench companies.

I'm excited about the extra features and its memory capabilities. If you were gonna buy one thing from snapon it should probably be a torque wrench.

Is it one of those test lights with the digital voltage display? Those are the cats meow. I've never had a regret after the years of use with my tools. The instant buyers regret hurts until I get my hands on it and use it.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Well it's not new, but its new to me. A buddy came and got me this morning and we did a little garage sale shopping. I didn't really find anything I just couldn't live with out. The last place we stopped the gentleman had a bunch of Ferd parts...(I felt dirty just looking at them) lol. But he had a air compressor from HF. He told me it wasn't big enough for his needs. I asked him how much he said 50. I said OKay thanks. I had no idea what they sold for new. As we were leaving he said 30 for the air compressor. So that came home with me. I now have a bigger air compressor for my powder coating set up.

Attachments

• 20230414_124002.jpg
    20230414_124002.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 34

chevytech87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Is it one of those test lights with the digital voltage display? Those are the cats meow. I've never had a regret after the years of use with my tools. The instant buyers regret hurts until I get my hands on it and use it.
It sure is! It’s pretty great, only complaint I’ve got is that after owning it for about 2 years the plastic is starting to spiderweb near the cord. Hopefully it doesn’t move all the way to the screen, as long as I can still read it I’ll be good

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well it's not new, but its new to me. A buddy came and got me this morning and we did a little garage sale shopping. I didn't really find anything I just couldn't live with out. The last place we stopped the gentleman had a bunch of Ferd parts...(I felt dirty just looking at them) lol. But he had a air compressor from HF. He told me it wasn't big enough for his needs. I asked him how much he said 50. I said OKay thanks. I had no idea what they sold for new. As we were leaving he said 30 for the air compressor. So that came home with me. I now have a bigger air compressor for my powder coating set up.

Certainly not a high output unit, but doggone, for 30 bucks, you can't go wrong there!

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
Certainly not a high output unit, but doggone, for 30 bucks, you can't go wrong there!
My powder coating gun uses 6 psi to fog the powder. I think it will do...lol

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I guess I could also mention that I have made a few Matco Ratchet bastards but I think they are putting the squeeze on that deal these days. If you don't know, you could buy the Matco flex heads as a replacement part for less than 35 bucks and pickup a breaker bar from harbor freight for under 30 and end up with a Matco ratchet for ~60.

Attachments

• IMG_2623.jpeg
    IMG_2623.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2611.jpeg
    IMG_2611.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 34

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I guess I could also mention that I have made a few Matco Ratchet bastards but I think they are putting the squeeze on that deal these days. If you don't know, you could buy the Matco flex heads as a replacement part for less than 35 bucks and pickup a breaker bar from harbor freight for under 30 and end up with a Matco ratchet for ~60.

Except if you have to put a cheater pipe on it, that handle WILL break. I'm betting the Matco handle will not... or at least it will take a much longer cheater pipe.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Except if you have to put a cheater pipe on it, that handle WILL break. I'm betting the Matco handle will not... or at least it will take a much longer cheater pipe.
I would hope the handle is tougher since the handle accounts for 80% of the cost. You’ll be doing without the warranty too and you’re probably better off getting the whole tool if you have the tool guy visiting you anyway.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but matco is just a tool distributor, they don't make ANY tools. They just markup for the name, and sell other companies stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef