What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mxer147

83 K20, 350 vortec, 465, 208, 14/10, 4.10, 33s
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Cut out a small area of rust on the driver fender, also cut out a small area of rust on the tailgate. Much to my surprise, the tailgate had a patch of bondo on the middle bottom area of the tailgate. I got to looking at it a little closer; tailgate not very straight along the bottom so PO slopped some bondo to make it look straight. I purchased a new tailgate last fall so I’m considering using it rather than the oem tailgate that needs straightening, welding and bodywork.

What’s your opinion on LMC versus OEM tailgate from a quality standpoint?

I’ll have to drill four holes for the trim piece and transfer all the hardware so a little bit of work too.

Attachments

• IMG_2969.jpeg
    IMG_2969.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Piddled with the blue truck after work. Started with painting the new drivers side valve cover

You must be registered for see images attach

Then installed a catch can

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
And drained/filled the oil. Only got ~3qts out (did not pull the filter off) and I’d added 1.5qts a week ago :eek::eek:

Keep us posted. Your truck has a solid build so might not be so damning.

Hey, where’s that canopy? Looks good without it too of course.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Keep us posted. Your truck has a solid build so might not be so damning.

Hey, where’s that canopy? Looks good without it too of course.
I'm hoping it's not. All of a sudden the truck started smoking last Tuesday and I heard some valvetrain rattle/lifter noise (it was half speed so it was definitely valvetrain thankfully) headed to work. Pulled over to inspect, all I found was nothing on the dipstick. But I didn't put too much stock in that because that Holley dipstick is near impossible to read anyway. I threw what I had with me (1.5qts) in the truck for good measure and kept the revs down. Figured overfull was better than empty. But I've been having some smoking issues ever since I put the T56 in when I would downshift at high RPMs so I've known for a while I needed to do something about my PCV system. Welllllllll apparently I'd sucked enough oil up that I was 3.5qts low o_O

The shell is stashed on another truck at work waiting to find a new owner. I got tired of it, the truck SUCKED to drive with it on.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Pulled the VC off last night to swap on the new one. I can't remember what brand paint I used for these originally but this new paint doesn't match, it's too far toward "peach" colored than true orange. Hoping a few heat cycles will bake it and make it orange but we'll see.

Realistically you'd never tell the difference since you can't see both sides at the same time and the coil packs cover so much of it up. I drove it home the other day with the cleaned out old VC and catch can, then yesterday/this morning with the new VC and catch can, smoke seems to have stopped. I have the catch can just vented to atmosphere and capped off the intake, we'll see how the engine likes that. I'll probably eventually spring for a Mighty Mouse catch can so it can be hooked to vacuum like it's meant to be. I had a 2005 Silverado in the past that didn't like having a catch can on it at all, didn't matter if it was just vented or pulling vacuum, it'd fill the catch can every day.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Pulled the VC off last night to swap on the new one. I can't remember what brand paint I used for these originally but this new paint doesn't match, it's too far toward "peach" colored than true orange. Hoping a few heat cycles will bake it and make it orange but we'll see.

Realistically you'd never tell the difference since you can't see both sides at the same time and the coil packs cover so much of it up. I drove it home the other day with the cleaned out old VC and catch can, then yesterday/this morning with the new VC and catch can, smoke seems to have stopped. I have the catch can just vented to atmosphere and capped off the intake, we'll see how the engine likes that. I'll probably eventually spring for a Mighty Mouse catch can so it can be hooked to vacuum like it's meant to be. I had a 2005 Silverado in the past that didn't like having a catch can on it at all, didn't matter if it was just vented or pulling vacuum, it'd fill the catch can every day.

If I ever see it in person, I'll be sure to point out the color difference :)

mxer147

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Fittted the new metal to the areas I cut out yesterday. Pulled the front grill and trim, and soaked front bumper bolts with penetrating oil. PO used straight screws with nylon lock nuts to secure grill, WTH. Cussing the whole time while removing the lower center bolt. Gonna weld the metal tomorrow if not windy; gonna pull the bumper in between welding cool down.

Attachments

• IMG_2991.jpeg
    IMG_2991.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2987.jpeg
    IMG_2987.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2988.jpeg
    IMG_2988.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 23

mxer147

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Weld and grind metal patches this morning. Time to take a break for some other fun stuff. Also welded the holes for the trim piece since I will use it on the other tailgate I bought last fall.

Attachments

• IMG_2993.jpeg
    IMG_2993.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2994.jpeg
    IMG_2994.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2995.jpeg
    IMG_2995.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2997.jpeg
    IMG_2997.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 14

Beercelo

Reaction score
First Name
Raul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Brakes and rally resto's, two down two to go

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 16
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 17
  • thumbnail (6).jpg
    thumbnail (6).jpg
    103 KB · Views: 19

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Piddled with the blue truck after work. Started with painting the new drivers side valve cover

Then installed a catch can

VHT for the covers? Mine are holding up great so far (4 months). The rustoleum job I did before didn't last 6 months before flaking off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikejeden