What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I replaced the cigarette lighter and wired it to only work when the key is on. A small project but worth it.

Lol, that's one of my biggest gripes with a lot of older foreign cars. I hate when the lighter socket doesn't have constant power.

incubus2432

Reaction score
First Name
Shekkie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Interesting- why key on only ?

The reason the lighter didn't work was the wire to it was tapped shoddily and the socket was kinda beat up so when I went to fix it I added a relay along with a new socket. I can't think of a single reason why I'd want it to work with the key "off" and I know that at some point I'll leave something plugged in that kills the battery as the truck is an occasional driver with some farm duties.

incubus2432

Reaction score
First Name
Shekkie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Lol, that's one of my biggest gripes with a lot of older foreign cars. I hate when the lighter socket doesn't have constant power

What do you need constant power for? Just curious since I just charge my phone or run the occasional inflator.

Ajax19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ajax
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
The reason the lighter didn't work was the wire to it was tapped shoddily and the socket was kinda beat up so when I went to fix it I added a relay along with a new socket. I can't think of a single reason why I'd want it to work with the key "off" and I know that at some point I'll leave something plugged in that kills the battery as the truck is an occasional driver with some farm duties.
Use mine for a dash cam(so when your parked it will run with no key) but I have a dual battery selector so when I want everything off I use it I also wired my radio to run with the key off same for all the lights and siren that way I can use them and keep the keys in my pocket

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What do you need constant power for? Just curious since I just charge my phone or run the occasional inflator.

In general, just so I can have my phone plugged in while I'm parked somewhere. But in other situations it's handy too, like plugging in my big spot light while setting up camp, or to power a small inverter while I'm on my laptop computer for work stuff.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Wix filter had Made in china in spanish right on it :(
Unfortunately.........
I remember when most were made right there back home in Gastonia, NC.
And "unfortunately" I remember when they were $3.99 each.
I bought 3 at O'Reilly last week.......... $41.00 !!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Unfortunately.........
I remember when most were made right there back home in Gastonia, NC.
And "unfortunately" I remember when they were $3.99 each.
I bought 3 at O'Reilly last week.......... $41.00 !!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
O'Reilly's has gone off their nut, I think. I went in for some fuel line and they wanted over seven bucks a foot. I mean, I know stuff has gone up but HOLY! I walked out and went to NAPA to buy it for two bucks and change.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
O'Reilly's has gone off their nut, I think. I went in for some fuel line and they wanted over seven bucks a foot. I mean, I know stuff has gone up but HOLY! I walked out and went to NAPA to buy it for two bucks and change.
Not just oreillys. The good fuel injection hose is sold by the inch. Locally, the last time I bought some it was $0.66/in. I could buy the cheap stuff for a couple bucks, but the good stuff will hold up better to the modern crappy fuel.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Ordered Monroe load adjusting shocks for the front. Only $82 on amazon. The rears are the same type, so thought I'd make em all match. Helps I had a $75 gift card so only $12 out of pocket after tax.

You must be registered for see images attach
installed these while I had the front body off during the engine swap. These ride like a dream! No bouncing or jarring.

ZMBKLR

Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I finally found a decent deal on the 56" 1825lb rear leaf springs for my suspension rebuild! They were cheaper than Rock Auto too. I have all the pieces for the rebuild. I'll be sending my gearbox out to be rebuilt to a quick ratio.
Where did you find this deal? I need a set of 56' springs for my 1979 GMC heavy half

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Been wanting Dakota digitals for over a decade. Super simple and clean, it's the newer model vhx in white. Super easy to install, but very time consuming and tedious, constant up and down and chasing wires. I dont want to have issues or do it twice, so I took my time and did an above average job, not perfect, but there's nothing I felt iffy about.

I couldn't find any examples of a mount for the control box, that I liked. So I spent a good bit of time thinking and visualizing lol. I ended up going to the dash bolt and there was a hole next to it already, so I used a nutsert. Made up a bracket real quick, it's hidden in the dash so nothing pretty. You can't use the factory corner dash speaker with this mount, but I wasn't using it already anyways, wouldn't want a speaker magnet that close to the box anyways.

The protective film is still on it so it'll be more crisp and clear. Everything seems to be working proper. The ONLY thing I don't like is the speedo going to 160, it should be max 120, id like it to have more definition/hash marks and each 10 mphs displayed numerically. Gotta put the dash back together tomorrow.

Last edited:

Fastduramax

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
Nice work Mason, I am dreading this job so much I've had my Dakota's sitting on a shelf for well over a year ! I can do wiring, I own an old Mack lol but I dread it !

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Nice work Mason, I am dreading this job so much I've had my Dakota's sitting on a shelf for well over a year ! I can do wiring, I own an old Mack lol but I dread it !
Thanks! I'm one of those tough to get started people too, but once I get going you basically can't take my focus off of it, I was out till 4 something am one night without even noticing!

Wire ferrules are your friend for this job!!! The crimper tool also, very cheap!

I had a couple aftermarket gauges so I had some of the extra wires ran already. But otherwise it was easy, definitely a few day project to do a nice job. There's a few things you shouldn't show on the internet and wiring is one of 'em lol. I ain't scared though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eatfood