What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Removed the radiator and ordered a champion aluminium rad.
crap.....was supposed to pick up the radiator from shop friday. I'll get it tomorrow. Broke off the top fitting and asked him to block off the heater hose port since on the LS they both come off the pump. He said he'd weld in a nickel or a quarter to block it lol......I said what....

$50 to repair/pressure test/clean......I like this guy.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When I was in college, I tried to get on at every parts store in town for some extra cash. None of them would hire me and I finally asked on of the guys I interviewed with why, he shrugged and said "I wish I could, but they've given us explicit instructions to not hire anyone who doesn't have computer system experience". Regardless of my knowledge and experience, they wouldn't give me the time of day just cuz I'd never worked a job using a computer at that point.
You were apparently just too honest. You’re a millennial and were in college.
Yet sad nonetheless. You would have been on of the rare “good” parts guys that wasn’t actually working on cars back when no one had computer experience.
We have the same kind of Napa here.
Regional dist facility is like 25 min from here. That’s where I go if I already know what I need and Gosneys would have to get it “tomorrow”. Otherwise Gosney motors Napa has the proverbial old school parts folks. They’ve busted out the old paper parts catalogs more than once for me in just the last year.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Yet sad nonetheless. You would have been on of the rare “good” parts guys that wasn’t actually working on cars back when no one had computer experience.
Regional dist facility is like 25 min from here. That’s where I go if I already know what I need and Gosneys would have to get it “tomorrow”. Otherwise Gosney motors Napa has the proverbial old school parts folks. They’ve busted out the old paper parts catalogs more than once for me in just the last year.
I was so mad when he told me that. That's just plain corporate stupidity.

born2Run83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC - C1500
Engine Size
5.3L LM7
I used to work at an O'Reillys part time it was on the way home from the shop,I was single,so I figured way not pick up some extra cash. Some of the things that some of the employees would ask people or tell people was a Crack up. And when I'd cut drums or rotors,clock an alternator,or surface a flywheel they'd freak out,one guy kept telling me ,your going to eff one of those up someday. It's amazing the deference in skill set between mom and pop vs.big box.
That’s so true in the skill set difference. That guy prob didn’t understand completely what you were even doing lol. Crazy how fast the knowledge base seems to be decreasing

born2Run83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC - C1500
Engine Size
5.3L LM7
When I was in college, I tried to get on at every parts store in town for some extra cash. None of them would hire me and I finally asked on of the guys I interviewed with why, he shrugged and said "I wish I could, but they've given us explicit instructions to not hire anyone who doesn't have computer system experience". Regardless of my knowledge and experience, they wouldn't give me the time of day just cuz I'd never worked a job using a computer at that point.
Yeah that’s a shame too by they’ll pass up a guy with hands on knowledge like yourself that knows how to think and use their brain. Instead they’ll hire someone else that doesn’t understand basic mechanics. Unbelievable

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
My local Napa (literally across the street from our High School) hired a registered creep and all the decent parts guys had a cow. They demanded the manager fire him. When they didn't let him go by Friday of the same week they all quit and went to Autozone, I hate Autozone but haven't been back into Napa since.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
My local Napa (literally across the street from our High School) hired a registered creep and all the decent parts guys had a cow. They demanded the manager fire him. When they didn't let him go by Friday of the same week they all quit and went to Autozone, I hate Autozone but haven't been back into Napa since.
Good for them

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Took her on a 1 hour road trip to my Mom's for Christmas Day breakfast and festivities.

Thru the window shot.

Attachments

• 20221225_113521.jpg
    20221225_113521.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 34

ulm4lyf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande 15
Engine Size
Weather was nice so today I first put in my new temperature gauge. After that I decided to tackle the window regulators. I'm going to give anyone that wishes to replace them a tip. Take out your vent window first. I fought and cussed and fought some more with that blasted thing. I took out my vent window and had the old regulator out and new one on (driver's side) within 10 minutes.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
Merry Christmas to me! Got the GMC fired up and out of the shop! Still got somewhat of a idle issue but it seemed to clear up after a few minutes of running. Not sure just what is causing that.

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
Just got it back from paint, man it looks killer good old Victory red. New motor is still in break in lots to do still.

Attachments

• IMG_1477.jpg
    IMG_1477.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 39
  • image000002.jpg
    image000002.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 36

GaK10

Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Where to start?
Replaced both tanks, cleaned the lines, rebuilt the carb, fixed a fusible link, troubleshooted the electrical system, cleaned the fuel pump, fused the lines again, resealed the AC compressor, fixed a couple tires, rebuilt the front end, sprayed the underbody with paint, installed a large 2 micron fuel filter, and fired it up! Got it running after at least 8 years.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm about a month post having the 700R4 rebuilt and strengthened some in my truck. I did the R&R and found a local transmission shop that did the overhaul. While he had the transmission and was going though it I replaced the timing chain on my 305 and rebuilt the carburetor. Oh and I put new belts on and replaced the spark plugs as well.

If you want to read all the details it's in my thread here, starting on post #49 >> https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/1984-c-20-driver-thread.35123/page-4 <<

Before:
You must be registered for see images attach

After rebuild bolted up:

Going though the carburetor:

Carb back on and timing chain done.

As many of you know this truck gets run a lot. I drive it every day from the farm to the shop in the city I manage and I use it for farm purposes as well. One of the guys I get feed from for the farm is about 100 miles north of me so she needs to be reliable. I don't want to be on the side of the road 100 miles from the farm with a load of feed. As it turned out the timing chain was in much better condition than expected, and the carburetor was in better shape inside than expected, but that's all fine I shouldn't need to worry about that stuff again anytime soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barnabyjo