What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Khayward

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban SLE
Engine Size
Finally got around to registering the war wagon this week after a new fuel filter and making sure the 15 year old tires were properly inflated. It's on 31s so did the math and came up with 45psi. Front left was at 20.
Now it's road legal and already finding bits and pieces - missing when warm which might be related to hard starting; have to crank, let off, crank again and tap the throttle. I had planned on replacing fuel injectors next as they appear to be dribbly. Also need to go over vacuum line.
Steering is like herding cats. Almost an 1/8th of a turn of slop and wanders a lot.
Instrument lights disappeared.
Rear aux heater functions, but rear heater core has a tiny bit of coolant in one corner and the hoses to the valve under the hood seem to leak at the fittings.
All small stuff, and it's fun to hear the straight pipes sing :)

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The wheels I sent out for restoration and repair finally came back and overall, very happy with the results. Cleaned then powder coated gray, then the raised portions have a brushed finish. I had asked for machined like factory but the restoration place said it doesn't come out as well on older wheels as the brushed, it ends up with pits from the pores in the casting. They fitted steel inserts to use a conical lug nut compared to the original shanked ones which always came loose and elongated the holes. Tires and centers are ordered.

Ordered a complete weatherstrip kit and new window regulators from Rock Auto in order to just do that once and not fight it.

Attachments

• IMG_8947.jpeg
    IMG_8947.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8948.jpeg
    IMG_8948.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8949.jpeg
    IMG_8949.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 54

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Threw the oil pan back on yesterday with a fresh Mahle gasket and plenty of Permatex. This SOB better not leak this time.
You must be registered for see images attach

Then pulled the tank down last night right before I left. Gonna throw a fresh Walboro in it. This makes the 5th fuel pump in this truck :hidesbehindsofa:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The wheels I sent out for restoration and repair finally came back and overall, very happy with the results. Cleaned then powder coated gray, then the raised portions have a brushed finish. I had asked for machined like factory but the restoration place said it doesn't come out as well on older wheels as the brushed, it ends up with pits from the pores in the casting. They fitted steel inserts to use a conical lug nut compared to the original shanked ones which always came loose and elongated the holes. Tires and centers are ordered.

Ordered a complete weatherstrip kit and new window regulators from Rock Auto in order to just do that once and not fight it.

Those wheels are FKN SWEET!!!!! Fk me I'm so jelly!!!

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Mine was just basic maintenance. I just replaced the original fuel hoses on the fuel pump, 47 years of service. Thought I had a coolant leak when I looked under the front end but popped the hood and there was fuel pumping out. Good thing I wasn't out off roading.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Threw the oil pan back on yesterday with a fresh Mahle gasket and plenty of Permatex. This SOB better not leak this time.

Then pulled the tank down last night right before I left. Gonna throw a fresh Walboro in it. This makes the 5th fuel pump in this truck :hidesbehindsofa:
Damn... 5 fuel pumps?

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Damn... 5 fuel pumps?
Yep. The first three were killed by a faulty plastic sock insert on the sending unit coming apart and sending shrapnel into it. The fourth one that's in there currently was struggling against a pinched line that I didn't find until about 6mo ago so I ordered a Walboro 255 and it's been sitting on the shelf ever since. Since we're fixing to go 4000+mi in the next 2 weeks, I didn't wanna chance a tired pump. Hopefully it'll be the last one

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Those wheels are FKN SWEET!!!!! Fk me I'm so jelly!!!
I was surfing Ebay and came across them, made an offer and the guy accepted. When they showed up, 2 of the wheels were damaged in the lug area, one of them wouldn't even center on the hub. Even though 2 were scrap at this point, at least I had all 4. There are pairs and "3 of them" for sale all the time, getting all 4 matching is impossible. Spent a hour or two researching what to do, called a couple places, finally found one that knew what it was and had performed similar repairs in the past. I may have to install longer wheel studs and the wheels scraped the caliper bracket so need to do some grinding on it but overall happy how they turned out. His price was more than fair but all the shipping made it expensive

https://jasonswheelrepair.com/index.html

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
Finished installing the new wheel well trim. Loooks a lot better. I was going to check the timing but I couldn't locate the timing marks on this 350. Any one have a picture of the location?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Finished installing the new wheel well trim. Loooks a lot better. I was going to check the timing but I couldn't locate the timing marks on this 350. Any one have a picture of the location?
Its either 2 or 12 o'clock on the harmonic balancer. If it isn't there, you could have an aftermarket cover that someone didn't put a timing pointer on.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
Found it. It sits at 12 o'clock, under and behind the water pump. This is not going to be easy to check timing. My only question is what is the round thing,that looks like it holds a pencil, for?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
My only question is what is the round thing,that looks like it holds a pencil, for?
Huh? I don't see what you're talking about

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
It's a round cylinder mounted to the end of the timing plate.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Google had the answer, from a different forum where several people asked the same question:

"Yes, back in the day my "Allen Smart Scope" had a magnetic timing probe. It was a flexible wand style attachment for the Analyzer that allowed you to keep constant digital readings on the scope at all times. The great advantage was you could be adjusting and monitoring other settings without having to hold a timing light. Suppose to be the wave of the future.

It came along during the first years of "CCC" or "Computer Command Control" for you young folks. It had to be set into the Analyzer with a 10 degree offset setting so it could reference TDC.

These were some horrible years for GM and its electronic controlled carburetors, when fuel injection and OBD 1 and OBD 2 came along all this stuff went away.

Sorry for the long post but I thought some might be interested...."

I also found this image:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

Google had the answer, from a different forum where several people asked the same question:

"Yes, back in the day my "Allen Smart Scope" had a magnetic timing probe. It was a flexible wand style attachment for the Analyzer that allowed you to keep constant digital readings on the scope at all times. The great advantage was you could be adjusting and monitoring other settings without having to hold a timing light. Suppose to be the wave of the future.

It came along during the first years of "CCC" or "Computer Command Control" for you young folks. It had to be set into the Analyzer with a 10 degree offset setting so it could reference TDC.

These were some horrible years for GM and its electronic controlled carburetors, when fuel injection and OBD 1 and OBD 2 came along all this stuff went away.

Sorry for the long post but I thought some might be interested...."

I also found this image:

Otherwise ignore it.

full

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade