What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcarlo86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
took out the head light bezels and installed 4 bar magnets I got off Amazon. They'll keep wrenches and other heavy tools in place, but not too well. Screws and washers on the other hand.....they aren't going any where unless you want them to.

This is in the corners under the hood on the radiator mount, that everyone puts tools/screws while they work on it.

jtridgley79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10 suburban, k10 pickup
Engine Size
both 350
Put some small tires on after a blowout

37 12.50 16.5
You must be registered for see images attach

285 75 16

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Regardless of the choice of steering wheel I gotta ask, and this is a legitimate question, what the heck is wrong with the factory steering wheel? Do ya think most folks swap them out BC they want a different look or is it a functional thing in some way?
I understand that everyone likes what they like and that we are all different. I wanted (and still want) to experience driving an old Square Body just like I did back in the late '70s and through the '80s. Changing the steering wheel would completely kill what I am trying to achieve with my old truck. My '87 is SUPPOSED to have a large diameter OD and small diameter grip surface factory steering wheel. I love it like it came from the factory.

When I was shopping for my truck I saw plenty of trucks that had either aftermarket steering wheels or else wheels from later model GM vehicles. As soon as I would see that I would close that ad and move on to the next one. I figured that if they changed the steering wheel they probably changed a bunch of other stuff that I would have to spend money and time tearing out to get back to the OE Factory stuff that I wanted.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^Im just too cheap to get a factory wheel…lol.
But if anyone had a GMC horn button for a gmt400 style steering wheel, I’d love to have it! Mine says Chevrolet…

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
^Im just too cheap to get a factory wheel…lol.
But if anyone had a GMC horn button for a gmt400 style steering wheel, I’d love to have it! Mine says Chevrolet…
I may.... not sure

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
I understand that everyone likes what they like and that we are all different. I wanted (and still want) to experience driving an old Square Body just like I did back in the late '70s and through the '80s. Changing the steering wheel would completely kill what I am trying to achieve with my old truck. My '87 is SUPPOSED to have a large diameter OD and small diameter grip surface factory steering wheel. I love it like it came from the factory.

When I was shopping for my truck I saw plenty of trucks that had either aftermarket steering wheels or else wheels from later model GM vehicles. As soon as I would see that I would close that ad and move on to the next one. I figured that if they changed the steering wheel they probably changed a bunch of other stuff that I would have to spend money and time tearing out to get back to the OE Factory stuff that I wanted.

This.

My cars have car steering wheels. When I'm driving a truck I want to know it's a truck.

Ever sit in a Mack? That steering wheel makes our truck steering wheels look like they're from a car. Not that the wheel is the only indicator in my truck. The ride is a dead giveaway too.

Do those lowered C's feel like a car...?

Maybe that's why I don't get it.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
This.

My cars have car steering wheels. When I'm driving a truck I want to know it's a truck.

Ever sit in a Mack? That steering wheel makes our truck steering wheels look like they're from a car. Not that the wheel is the only indicator in my truck. The ride is a dead giveaway too.

Do those lowered C's feel like a car...?

Maybe that's why I don't get it.
Our 86' freightliner at work has a HUGE 3 spoke wheel. Its crazy to work with lol.

Shorty81

Baby Boomer
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

I'm with you. I want my truck to be an 'old truck. I want the slow shifts with the SM465, carbed bbc, stiff ride, rear slider open, beer in hand.....we grew up in these trucks. Farming, dates, cruising. If I wanted modern convenience I would drive a new truck.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I'm with you. I want my truck to be an 'old truck. I want the slow shifts with the SM465, carbed bbc, stiff ride, rear slider open, beer in hand.....we grew up in these trucks. Farming, dates, cruising. If I wanted modern convenience I would drive a new truck.
I don't object to anyone doing what they want to their own vehicle, I just want to keep mine as close to original as possible. I wanted this truck to be set up exactly how I would have done it in 1987 IF I had enough money to do it right. I was fortunate that my Dad had a '77 Sierra Grande 4WD with a 350, SM465 and a Ramsey PTO winch AND my Mom drove a beautiful '84 full sized Blazer. I always had a 4WD to use and both had a cool factor. I wanted a Truck that was somewhere in that time frame. I can hear the music from the '80s, I can see the Big Hair of the young ladies I dated and I am no longer an old fat guy when I drive this '87.

I realize that I am fortunate that this old GMC is a useful play toy and not my primary driver. I do have a modern, comfortable and powerful GMC that gets used as my daily driver and my tow vehicle. I am not changing the steering wheel out in that truck either.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
So i had compared to my dad's '87 and the PS bracket (non AC setup) was pretty simple. Figured it would be pretty simple to just fab the AC one i had, so i did. Turned out pretty good to be honest, could've trimmed and rounded the top off a little more, it'll do for now. Next thing i'm looking into is switching out AC housing for just heater. Anyone got any spare parts laying around for heater housing? Thanks.

Pictured compared to my '87 without AC

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
So i had compared to my dad's '87 and the PS bracket (non AC setup) was pretty simple. Figured it would be pretty simple to just fab the AC one i had, so i did. Turned out pretty good to be honest, could've trimmed and rounded the top off a little more, it'll do for now. Next thing i'm looking into is switching out AC housing for just heater. Anyone got any spare parts laying around for heater housing? Thanks.

Pictured compared to my '87 without AC

That works too.

I looked today, couldn't find the extra brackets I thought I had. Last step was to steel to one of my 78, but it looked like it was going to rain, so I didn't want to uncover it.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

I don't object to anyone doing what they want to their own vehicle, I just want to keep mine as close to original as possible. I wanted this truck to be set up exactly how I would have done it in 1987 IF I had enough money to do it right. I was fortunate that my Dad had a '77 Sierra Grande 4WD with a 350, SM465 and a Ramsey PTO winch AND my Mom drove a beautiful '84 full sized Blazer. I always had a 4WD to use and both had a cool factor. I wanted a Truck that was somewhere in that time frame. I can hear the music from the '80s, I can see the Big Hair of the young ladies I dated and I am no longer an old fat guy when I drive this '87.

I realize that I am fortunate that this old GMC is a useful play toy and not my primary driver. I do have a modern, comfortable and powerful GMC that gets used as my daily driver and my tow vehicle. I am not changing the steering wheel out in that truck either.
I hope you don't mind I've gotta get in on your last two posts. This line you wrote "I wanted (and still want) to experience driving an old Square Body just like I did back in the late '70s and through the '80s." I could not have said it better. For me I'm not necessarily going for factory, but I pretty much want it to be what nice work truck from that time period would have been like. You probably don't know this I think I did it before you came along, but I installed an old school full size halogen maglite (magcharger) in the truck right in front of the middle seat almost tucked under the seat. It's so handy to have a charged flash light ready to go anytime right there. Anyhow I like your interior pic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76