What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Christmas came early! When i say that i mean i spent alot of money on something that i shouldn't have but was actually a good deal, not to mention original. Biggest step on the AC to non-AC swap. Got the parts, now to take out the behemoth and make some room in that engine bay already! Anybody know any good threads here on this swap? Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

okie78C20

Reaction score
First Name
kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
LOL... I was planning on October too, don't think I'm gonna make it.

Lol it’s like you get one task complete and find 5 more things that need attention!

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
How did you wire them? Looks like you are running an L31 with an 0411 conversion? Did you wire them with the three relays like a stock 2007+ silverado? The stock three relay system runs both fans for both high and low speed, but low speed runs the fans in series and high speed has them running parallel.
That is correct. My PCM is running the express van OS and “thinks” it has control of the AC as well. AC on forced low speed, the. I use a trinary switch to hit high speed if needed. No segment swapping, or other foolery.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
Flushed the heater core, engine, and radiator in preparation for a new water pump and hoses. I think I'll change out the thermostat while I'm doing it.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
That is correct. My PCM is running the express van OS and “thinks” it has control of the AC as well. AC on forced low speed, the. I use a trinary switch to hit high speed if needed. No segment swapping, or other foolery.
So you are running the 2156 OS? AC recirc set to Fan #2? So when AC is on, the ECU turns on low speed fan. Have you ever had the trinary switch trigger the high speed? Seems like my truck gets plenty of airflow at low speed to keep the AC pressure plenty low, even when it is super hot outside.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Ordered Monroe load adjusting shocks for the front. Only $82 on amazon. The rears are the same type, so thought I'd make em all match. Helps I had a $75 gift card so only $12 out of pocket after tax.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
I removed a lot of interior stuff today. Ordered new sound liner, floor mat, instrument panel bezel and lens, new door and vent window weatherstrip, and new seat upholstery. I'll order the new dash pad soon. I'm glad I removed the existing mat and sound liner because there was a small rust spot on the passenger side floor pan. It's not deep and I can use a wire wheel on it and apply rust preventer.

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
So you are running the 2156 OS? AC recirc set to Fan #2? So when AC is on, the ECU turns on low speed fan. Have you ever had the trinary switch trigger the high speed? Seems like my truck gets plenty of airflow at low speed to keep the AC pressure plenty low, even when it is super hot outside.
The few times I’ve noticed the fans running on high, it was due to coolant temp as I have them set a little low.

I’m not sure of the OS number but yes, recirc is set to fan 2 and I had to change the AC type to “something” cycling, then add a few pins.

C2 - 17 - AC Request DI. Blue
C2 - 55 - Low Pressure Cutout. Green
C1 - 42 - #1 Fan DO. Brown
C2 - 33 - #2 Fan DO. White

AC Request is tapped into the clutch positive.

Low pressure cutout, I just grounded it since my trinary is on the + side of the clutch. Look at the schematic and you’ll see the cycle switch “should” be on the negative side of the clutch. My PCM only “thinks” it has control of the clutch.

Don’t mind the colors, that’s just for my ref because I ran a bundle of wires from my pcm to the relay box.

DI means Discrete Input to the PCM
DO means Discrete Output from the PCM

Also notice I lowered the “On Temp AC On” for fan 1. I wanted the fans to run basically anytime the AC was on. 86 was an arbitrary number. I forgot about defrost so went back and lowered this to min value. I think it was zero.

Attachments

• 684A7A19-E53A-4384-88EF-AA8043ED6BCF.jpeg
    684A7A19-E53A-4384-88EF-AA8043ED6BCF.jpeg
    182.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 07AA5D7C-8B61-4FAE-AEF3-F13B5592DBB8.jpeg
    07AA5D7C-8B61-4FAE-AEF3-F13B5592DBB8.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 32

wlwarnke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I don’t recall the Trinary switch setting but the when installing the VA, in June, in Texas (still clutch fan) I do remember the high side never getting very high at all. In fact these systems seem to run perfectly happy at very low pressures.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
No pics, but Engineered one of the hangers for the rear ac cover as the spot weld on the hanger broke.

:(

Maybe it will hold, but at least I tried something.

Khayward

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban SLE
Engine Size
Thought I had posted an update last week but guess not. Took the 'burb to have a 3" straight pipe installed. It'll do until I decide what to do with the L05 lump. It runs fine so suspect it's had some work during the 190000 miles on the odometer, but want to check the cylinders and compression at some point.
Had a new windshield put in, strange not having BB holes... gotta put the mirror in yet.
Also been chasing an idiot light issue, comes on when cruising on the highway and goes away in town, suspect it's an egr thing, but my only egr experience is with the 4.3 vortec. I do know there are a few vac hose issues: the breather bung on the pass side no longer seals around the breather hose, stuff like that, will fix that before worrying about emissions.

Temp gets up to 210 on the highway so thinking the t-stat ought to be changed.

Also replaced A/C evaporator core, will take it to test/charge soon. Expecting leaks in the rear section.

Did discover the tires are 19 years old. They look pretty good. Steering stabilizer doesn't.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Trying to mock up my new seats in my truck an found the first problem...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1