What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Would you mind snapping a picture of that for me? I have the plastic jack base,
Eric
I have a 87k10 mounted jack on drivers side. I thought the handle and lug wrench went on pass Side? not sure at this point. It's why I hate the FNG lol
Sure, as soon as I get back.
Yeah, I think the Jack went on the driver's side and the wrench and handles went on the passenger side.

And what's FNG? I'm new to some of these abbreviations.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So thanks to a couple fellas here, I got this rear sway thing figured out - Hellwig's instructions are for 2WD, not 4WD. Got the flat stock to make a better frame bracket and larger grade 8 end links on the way.

You must be registered for see images attach

Had a weep from the rear diff - doesn't feel wet but your hand would be shiny from the oil. Took 6 months to make the spot in the pic, so got one of these Lube Locker gaskets someone here talked me into (this is an expensive place to hang around - lmao). New cover and bolts to go with. Hopefully this fixes things. Probably have to do the same to the front as well. The fill plug hasn't been out since Reagan....so that should be interesting.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
So thanks to a couple fellas here, I got this rear sway thing figured out - Hellwig's instructions are for 2WD, not 4WD. Got the flat stock to make a better frame bracket and larger grade 8 end links on the way.

Had a weep from the rear diff - doesn't feel wet but your hand would be shiny from the oil. Took 6 months to make the spot in the pic, so got one of these Lube Locker gaskets someone here talked me into (this is an expensive place to hang around - lmao). New cover and bolts to go with. Hopefully this fixes things. Probably have to do the same to the front as well. The fill plug hasn't been out since Reagan....so that should be interesting.

That gasket is similar to the stock gasket they put on the new chevy diffs. The one on my 2011 10 bolt looks almost just like that. I pulled it apart to switch the 3.08 gears for 4.11's and replace all the bushings. It didn't leak at all and had 200,000 miles on it. The rebuild kit came with a cheap looking paper gasket. I decided to just clean off and reuse the old gasket and it is still perfectly sealed. No issues at all.

The only other thing I would consider would be to just run a decent size bead of "The Right Stuff" around the whole thing and slap the cover on... works every time as well.

Also, I highly recommend using the Valvoline 75-90 synthetic gear oil instead of standard 80-90. Its available at walmart in the soft packaging that makes it super easy to put in the diff and is not super expensive. Helps a bit on mileage also and doesn't break down as fast.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
I bought a headlight relay harness for the 87, didn;t like the cheesy pigtails that were on the harness so I am soldering new pigtails on the harness for the headlights. should be a much better set up.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That gasket is similar to the stock gasket they put on the new chevy diffs. The one on my 2011 10 bolt looks almost just like that. I pulled it apart to switch the 3.08 gears for 4.11's and replace all the bushings. It didn't leak at all and had 200,000 miles on it. The rebuild kit came with a cheap looking paper gasket. I decided to just clean off and reuse the old gasket and it is still perfectly sealed. No issues at all.

The only other thing I would consider would be to just run a decent size bead of "The Right Stuff" around the whole thing and slap the cover on... works every time as well.

Also, I highly recommend using the Valvoline 75-90 synthetic gear oil instead of standard 80-90. Its available at walmart in the soft packaging that makes it super easy to put in the diff and is not super expensive. Helps a bit on mileage also and doesn't break down as fast.
I got a case of Amsoil's HD gearbox fluid from my brother. He used to put it in his fleet vehicles before selling the biz. Cant remember off hand what the weight is, but they say this is what its for. Also have another synthetic oil for the transfer case.

Permatex makes a gear oil sealant for these - thought about a touch of it at least around the bolt holes. Have heard nothing but good about those gaskets (and that they are literally re-usable) so hoping its all good when I'm done. :hat:

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I got a case of Amsoil's HD gearbox fluid from my brother. He used to put it in his fleet vehicles before selling the biz. Cant remember off hand what the weight is, but they say this is what its for. Also have another synthetic oil for the transfer case.

Permatex makes a gear oil sealant for these - thought about a touch of it at least around the bolt holes. Have heard nothing but good about those gaskets (and that they are literally re-usable) so hoping its all good when I'm done. :hat:
I wouldn't put any silicone on it when you use that gasket. If you have a bolt hole that goes through into the pumpkin, use a proper thread sealant. Use either a quality gasket like that OR RTV, never both. The amsoil is good stuff but crazy pricy, since you already have it you might as well throw it in there!

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I wouldn't put any silicone on it when you use that gasket. If you have a bolt hole that goes through into the pumpkin, use a proper thread sealant. Use either a quality gasket like that OR RTV, never both. The amsoil is good stuff but crazy pricy, since you already have it you might as well throw it in there!
I wound up with 3 cases of Amsoil shtuff.....for the price of: "I want it out of my way". Cant use the oil on a zero mile motor.....but will down the road.

The new bolts (OE GM - came with the NOS cover) had locktite or something thereabouts already on them. I already put the cover on with nothing but the gasket as that seems to be the way they who made it says to do it.

Just hoping that fill plug comes out. WHY they didn't put a fill/drain plug on the cover is still a mystery to me.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Got the rest of the truck painted yesterday. With any luck that’s the last time the paint cans get opened for a while!
Wet sanding commences today…got a couple days off so I can get er smoothed out and shined up while the clear coat is soft…
Can you do me a favor and NOT post pictures of it done? I don't wanna get the bug to bodywork and paint mine :lol:

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Sure, as soon as I get back.
Yeah, I think the Jack went on the driver's side and the wrench and handles went on the passenger side.

And what's FNG? I'm new to some of these abbreviations.
I am a player for the bolt, wing nut and the bracket that holds the handle and wrench on the passenger side. Message me the price and I will pay shipping as well. Thanx a lot!
Eric

t44e6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Replaced the crappy Amazon window felts so I could return them. Cleaned and lubed the driver's window regulator, door lock and latch. Took the instrument panel cover off Installed a new headlight switch, the rheostat was bad on the original. Tomorrow I will do the other door window felt, may take the gauge cluster out.

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Driver's side bucket seat tilt hinge swap. I guess after 34 years, fancy things like reclining seats tend to wear out lol Was having a real bad gangster seat lean, "laid back" hahaha Thought of welding it in a fixed position but would of regretted it instantly as it is easy to tilt forward or back to install the bracket bolts. While I was in there, I added padding to the armrests and threw in a seat cushion under the seat covers. Works great and is pretty comfy.

Attachments

• IMG_20220322_174003.jpg
    IMG_20220322_174003.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20220322_170546.jpg
    IMG_20220322_170546.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 45

John-Ryan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John-Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Driver's side bucket seat tilt hinge swap. I guess after 34 years, fancy things like reclining seats tend to wear out lol Was having a real bad gangster seat lean, "laid back" hahaha Thought of welding it in a fixed position but would of regretted it instantly as it is easy to tilt forward or back to install the bracket bolts. While I was in there, I added padding to the armrests and threw in a seat cushion under the seat covers. Works great and is pretty comfy.
Btw...Cabela's bucket seat covers for great on these and the color matches perfect in my silver/grey interior

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76