What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
3 weeka ago, (on tbe burb), i Pulled a 3hr vacuum on my system, did a 1 hour leakdown test... seemed ok...

Last year i did a total overhaul on the system, but it all leaked from the compressor.....?

This time, i added a can of that mechanic in a can stop leak to the system, as well as however many cans until i saw an agreeable high and low side pressures i liked.

Drove the burb 4 hours to SC last saturday , ac pumping icey the whole time, and cruising around in the sweltering heat..... she stayed cold inside the entire time (front and rear ac)

Drove her back yesterday, again no issues.
*knock on wood* that 30 year old truck made it further than some of the shitbox broke down trucks i passed on the highway...
Typically ran her 75 mph most of the time.... no issues.....

As for the c10, its been sitting a couple weeks, i kept getting a 30 something AFR (lean), and it would threaten to spit thru the holley efi under any load, overheat, etc etc. I told myself this wouldnt be a rushed project , and it wont be. So i work on it in my time.

Today, (this am) i checked the fuel pressure, had the wife cycle the key twice... both times, 20 psi... yucky.
the holley needs to see 60 psi to function.

So, i guess i get the jackass award for not just buying a fresh new Acdelco ep381 fuel pump, and installing it with the new tank and sending unit when it was on the lift at my buddies house.... meh whatevs. ..

Tank got pulled today, new pump ordered.
EZ. Left myself enough line slack that dropping it was no problem, even with 14 gallons of 93 hehe

Ok.
So moving on , i recently got an automatic column from a 70 something c20, so i pulled the old zip tied, jerry rigged 3 on the tree column and swapped in the auto column today, also removed the old clutch stuff as well.

All that i need to do is button up electrical, put the dash back together, and it'll look decent.

Only complaint is the hole in the floor where the clutch rod used to be (directly below the column)

Is there a cap i can put there to cover the hole?or do i now have extra vented AC?

Doesnt really matter. Its not a show truck, its just a means to disappoint the local LS boys.

(Joke) some of them are my buds.

Last edited:

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Got a phone call yesterday from the tranny guy; case is cracked. I just told him, 'No leaks', period!

I gotta have a talk with those lottery people.

What case do you need? I got several gutted automatic shells. I buy "bUrNeD uP" automatics for borderline rape prices then gut then for OEM hard parts that would otherwise cost 100's to replace in my personal transmission builds.

Its a nice business model, except i keep breaking stock parts and then reusing what i have stored away :happy175:

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
What case do you need? I got several gutted auto shells. I buy "bUrNeD uP" automatics for borderline rape prices then gut then for OEM hard parts that would otherwise cost 100's to replace

Guy says he can TIG weld it and it'll be better than new. Several people recommend him so I'll stick my neck out.
Thank you for the offer tho!

TH350. Got over 490,000 miles on it so I'm not going to go over the edge about it.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Guy says he can TIG weld it and it'll be better than new. Several people recommend him so I'll stick my neck out.
Thank you for the offer tho!

Yea, nothing wrong with that, when i encounter a cracked case, it also gets tig welded

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Also make sure you replace your bushings for the driveline... thats usually the #1 tranny and t case killer

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Also make sure you replace your bushings for the driveline... thats usually the #1 tranny and t case killer

Yep! All seals and bushings are getting replaced. And he's going through the pump and discs. It shifts and holds perfectly so I told him DO NOT mess with the valve body and put a brass screen filter in it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Yep! All seals and bushings are getting replaced. And he's going through the pump and discs. It shifts and holds perfectly so I told him DO NOT mess with the valve body and put a brass screen filter in it.

No no i meant the rubber bushing under the t case, and the motor mounts. As well as the torque rod that runs from the case to the trans.
If the trans is allowed to twist too much when you give her the juice, it can crack the trans ,or case of the transfer case.

And also, why no valve body? Ash (spent clutch) gets trapped all in there and around the valves and the VB gaskets deteriorate and break down and fluid can squeak thru passages

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
No no i meant the rubber bushing under the t case, and the motor mounts. As well as the torque rod that runs from the case to the trans.
If the trans is allowed to twist too much when you give her the juice, it can crack the trans ,or case of the transfer case.

And also, why no valve body? Ash (spent clutch) gets trapped all in there and around the valves and the VB gaskets deteriorate and break down and fluid can squeak thru passages

I'm just going by 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.
It's getting all new mounts; motor, tranny and x-fer case. Driveshafts are back after balancing and new Spicer U-Joints. New Yukon rear axle shafts and bearings. New rear brakes. Whole lotta stuff getting done. And yes, it does have the torque rod.
Thanks. I DO need reminding about stuff. Too much in my basket these days.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Well today at break i hooked the cables to her with the mini square, gave me hassle startin but got her fired up and let it run for about 45 min. No drive today but i got the juices flowing.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Where did you get patch panels that thick? I need some floor supports inner and outer rockers and cab corners. I’d rather get thick stuff if that’s snootily.

Ben
@Itali83 Heres the mic thickness of them. Inner rockers then floor support.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Well today was my weekly half day at work and it was gorgeous out. I was wanting to swap the gauge cluster in my mini square but since it was so nice out and my "faded to peach" orange paint was really bothering me i got out all stuff and repainted my orange accent. Much better!! The gauges will probly be this weekend. I found a very nice set of full sweep gauges in the local you yank it and popped led bulbs in it. Im excited to see how they look at night. @idahovette

Last edited:

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
@78C10BigTen 2 things, I have another cluster like yours except no PRNDD21, (5 speed) , and Kooper and I can't "like" your orange stripe because the Combo Black and Orange is our school rivals colors!!!!......but it does look good!!!.........kinda liked the "peach".....lol

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Well today was my weekly half day at work and it was gorgeous out. I was wanting to swap the gauge cluster in my mini square but since it was so nice out and my "faded to peach" orange paint was really bothering me i got out all stuff and repainted my orange accent. Much better!! The gauges will probly be this weekend. I found a very nice set of full sweep gauges in the local you yank it and popped led bulbs in it. Im excited to see how they look at night. @idahovette

What now the Big 10 rots and and your rocking a dime?

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
What now the Big 10 rots and and your rocking a dime?
I gotta make some other things happen before it can be repaired. S10 was a cheap, well runnin junkyard grab right at the time i could no longer drive the square.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aidenB15