What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not exactly. I had removed the vacuum booster when I got the truck and installed a hydraboost that I got out of a 1979 K30. It was working for the first year or so and started leaking. A drip at first then it got to the point where I was filling the reservoir every day, lol. I tried rebuilding it at one point and it helped for a while but there are some parts that aren't replaceable.

The hydraboost unit itself is smaller and provides more room in the engine bay. I think it has a better pedal feel as well.

I'm going to do a write up in my build thread. It was "fun" to say the least. Or maybe I should make an informative hydraboost thread. We'll see.

For sure, I've seen it done for clearance of big, big blocks before, but wondered more about braking performance, because you're putting a 3/4 or 1 ton truck master cyl on it too, correct?

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
For sure, I've seen it done for clearance of big, big blocks before, but wondered more about braking performance, because you're putting a 3/4 or 1 ton truck master cyl on it too, correct?

From my experience it applies a lot more pressure than the vacuum booster, a better pedal feel, albeit slightly touchy, and better stopping power. I used the hydraboost with a 1/2 ton master and 1/2 ton brakes, then 1/2 ton master with 3/4 ton 4 wheel disc, then the 3/4 ton 4 wheel disc master.

Years ago I put hydraboost on my '78 stepside, keeping everything else 1/2 ton and I could lock the brakes up easily.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Had the new white spokes mounted up at the truck shop, and dropped her off at the body shop for a long over due panel repair, and repaint. I am as giddy as a virgin on prom night for the results.
Eric

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Redesigned brackets and mounted the new dash speakers so they would clear the pad.
Painted the pointers all the same color on the old and new gauges.
STILL....... waiting on the new printed circuit to show up so I can get the cluster conversion done.

You must be registered for see images attach

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
yes please. Hopefully you’ll get them in soon so I can see how the fits meant is.

Ben
Heres his card. I havent got to mic the thickness yet though, im sorry.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size

Joshua Keith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Haven’t done much work on her lately, but finally painted the drip rails and got them installed. Decided to go with white instead of the matte black. Hopefully the paint will hold up in the weather okay.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Redesigned brackets and mounted the new dash speakers so they would clear the pad.
Painted the pointers all the same color on the old and new gauges.
STILL....... waiting on the new printed circuit to show up so I can get the cluster conversion done.

wow that's hot my friend. . .still better be doing a tutorial on that Tach!!

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Finished up with the paint on the front of the frame and frame components, along with headlight buckets and rad support pillar. STILL waiting on my rad support mounts to actually get this part in motion, obviously holding literally everything else up.

HUGE thanks to my pal @AyWoSch Motors for going out of his way to score me some extremely rare clutch fork springs for the Jimmy, in order to fix the PO's f**k up. Hopefully the exhaust won't get in the way of the spring but it looks like it may. My 80 also has two springs, don't know whether or not i'll rig up another. Also in need of a MAJOR clutch adjustment, as it needs slipped to hell and back just to move it. Anyone who knows how to adjust a mechanical clutch easily, let me know

Also trying to switch out the fan motor switch, but when i tried to put in the broken clip it launch my mini spring and ball bearing across the room, never to be found again. And of course, LMC is out of stock right now. Currently looking for pen springs and dog tag balls, so far none are the right size! Unbelieveable....

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Ive always hated the color of my hood ornament. New ones for sale are rediculously expensive. Had to do something about it.

Some Testors model paint, pin stripe tape and numerous coats of paint and then some polyurethane topcoat. Voila....new hood ornament.

This gives you an idea what the original looked like compaired to the new one.
It was just a plastic double sided insert in the metal ornament. Pryed out the plastic and was able to reuse the rubber insert that had the GMC logo and a lot of patience painting it under a magnifying glass. It was a real challenge to say the least.

PeteJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
wow that's hot my friend. . .still better be doing a tutorial on that Tach!!

I've been taking pics for it, Luke. Just received the RIGHT printed circuit yesterday. Just put the cluster back together this afternoon.
Looks good without electricity so far.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Just drove it looking for screws for the SS front blinker housings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly